Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 19 posts
01:35 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Ursa Major? If you're going to mention at one point good bands with douchebag lead singers who kicked everyone else out and then released a mediocrely crappy album several years later while keeping up the farce that it was somehow still the same band, why not include Chinese Democracy as well?
Ursa Major is infinitely better than Chinese Democracy, and didn't take 20 years to release.
01:42 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Thanks for reminding me to buy a new suit
I'm going to remind you every day.
01:48 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Please do.

Anyway, to contribute, Daft Punk was a greeeeat pick.
I was brainstorming people and then I remembered they are supposed to be releasing an album this year and I was like YES.
01:50 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Tool spring to my mind when I think about this topic, Ænima was 96, Lateralus 2001 & 10,000 Days was 2006. Strong possibilty of their next being this year or next. I'd say they definitley qualify as far as metal goes everyone of those albums are classed as great bodies of work.

Also I had no idea Daft Punk had an album due this year add that to my ever growing highly anticipated album list.
That's a band I totally forgot about but should have easily made the list.
02:02 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Understatement in the Brand New part. The Shone thread was THE biggest thread in the website's history. Jason can correct me if that's wrong but I'm pretty sure.
What Dustin said, I tried to keep all discussion in that one thread which led it to be the biggest of all time, BUT it just beat out Blink and the Blink discussion flooded into the Grammy thread and others.
02:04 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think in years Bon Iver is going to be a front runner.
02:13 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I would have rather wanted one good green day album instead of 3 terrible ones
I thought about using them as an example haha.
02:17 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Bon Iver is on a hiatus though, and may never be back. Bands like Brand New have never gone on hiatus, they just release music infrequently.
He's talked about getting away from music, don't know if he actually is or not. I guess it depends on what you consider a "hiatus." I see Brand New not releasing music in the same way I see FOB being on a hiatus. Even though Brand New hasn't SAID they are on a hiatus, if FOB was to come back and release new material before them it seems kind of silly to use the word.
02:26 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This may not be the best example, but I'm thinking about The Mars Volta and how they relate to this. Sure, they don't wait thaaaat long to put out albums but it's starting to get spaced out more, and people check them out so much, yet when Omar Rodriguez-Lopez spams albums every few months, they don't get nearly as much recognition or as well of a reception as The Mars Volta's albums. It's not the most exact example but it's cool to be able to slightly see both sides of the spectrum from essentially one artist.
I don't even want to think about TMV's last album...
02:28 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Justin is NOT going away from music.
Is this you being hopeful?
02:31 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think it gets too much shit for basically not sounding like a The Mars Volta album, but to each his own. Frances will always be my favorite, but anyway, the only thing I was really getting at with that is the comparison of what TMV puts into a record vs what Omar puts into solo records that get released nonstop.
Hahahaha, I mean it definitely IS a Mars Volta album, I just want quality like Deloused and Frances. Didn't he already release 3 albums this year?
02:37 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I almost included Jens Lekman as well.
02:38 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
As a matter of fact, he did. I didn't even know that hahaha.

EDIT: 28 albums in the last 9 years...
Dude's an animal. It's like Buckethead, except he doesn't get half as much attention as Omar.
02:45 PM on 01/17/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois..._streaming.php

Also in the interview, which is transcripted here with audio clips, Vernon mentions his upcoming work on at least three projects. So whether we hear new stuff from Volcano Choir, the mysterious collaboration with Gayngs' Ryan Olson and Astronautalis, or something completely different, there's going to be no shortage of output from Vernon. Definitely check out the rest of the interview, which as in-depth as any with Vernon that we've seen in a while.

Pretty sure you can still stream the audio from the interview, but they took down the transcript...mysteriously.
Hmmm. Well I was more or less getting to him as Bon Iver, not music as a whole. The dude has so many projects, I don't see him slowing down. His quote about Bon Iver though seems to fit perfectly for this discussion.

"Winding it down. I look at it like a faucet. I have to turn it off and walk away from it because so much of how that music comes together is subconscious or discovering. There’s so much attention on the band, it can be distracting at times. I really feel the need to walk away from it while I still care about it. And then if I come back to it – if at all – I'll feel better about it and be renewed or something to do that."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos