AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Jono Goes To The Movies - "Gangster Squad"

Posted by - 01:30 PM on 01/18/13
We're finally back with a new "Jono Goes To The Movies" column from The Swellers' drummer Jonathan Diener, where he gives his thoughts and opinions on new (and old) movies. Do you have any movies you'd like him to review? Put your suggestions in the comments. Hit the replies to read his review of Gangster Squad.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
01:30 PM on 01/18/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Jono Goes To The Movies - "Gangster Squad"I'll just get it off my chest. We get it. Ryan Gosling is a babe. Emma Stone is also a babe. The overhyping of both celebrities is already scaring some people away from this movie, but honestly, they did a great job. Gosling's voice is a little goofy when you first hear it, but over time you fall in love with his character. Other than debating on which person I would want to wake up next to every morning and share a cup of morning coffee... there was a plot, and a slew of amazing actors. Josh Brolin was the perfect pick for the lead part. Literally, he's a human G.I. Joe. Giovanni Ribisi played the awkwardly brilliant guy as he always does so well. Sean Penn looked even more like a crazy guy than he already is, and actually did a great job. I honestly don't know if he had extra makeup/cosmetic stuff going on, or if he just looks that way now. Regardless, it gave the over-exaggerated good vs. evil vibe a boost.

The dialogue was cheesy in the right way, the casting was perfect and the action was ridiculous and completely badass. I do think some people won't be able to get over the cliche mafia movie vibe. There weren't any crazy twists, it was just straight forward and what you wanted out of a story. It's like a three chord punk song, you know what's coming next but it still makes you smile. The late 40s era setting gave everything an extra spark and romanticized the glitz and luxury of LA for the time. You wanted to get your shoes shined on the street, go to a club and dance, and constantly chain smoke. Ryan Gosling is equivalent of Julian from Trailer Park Boys, instead of a drink in his hand, Gosling will take a cigarette out of the pack and light it up the second the camera goes on him. If it was a drinking game you'd be wasted the first 30 minutes of the movie. In retrospect, you were allowed to smoke on airplanes and your children probably had a pack hidden in their legos.

After debating if I'd ever see Gangster Squad based on its name and advertising, I was incredibly pleased and surprised. It was a simple and effective story done well by everyone involved. Maybe it was the era it was based in that let a lot of the cheeseball factors slide, but I felt it just enhanced the experience. I wasn't going in expecting a realistic true story bland drama. There was comedy, action, and Emma Stone. Works for me.
01:43 PM on 01/18/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Happy to see this is back.
01:57 PM on 01/18/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I saw this movie, I agree with the review, I think you have to know what you're getting into, it's a good story but they obviously weren't going for a serious, dramatic, movie-of-the-year type thing. They made it purposely cheesy and if you know it's going to be like that then you'll dig it. Plus like he said it's just fun to watch Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.
02:01 PM on 01/18/13
Vanilla Bear
celebrate the irony
User Info.
Literally just came to the computer after seeing it. The whole way through I felt like I was playing a video game, haha. But yeah, it's exactly like he said. Nothing overly surprising, but entertaining for sure.
02:05 PM on 01/18/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I wanna see this BAD.
02:32 PM on 01/18/13
Alexx Miller
Dominic Decoco
User Info.
Man... I hated this movie.

Glad this is back though!
03:34 PM on 01/18/13
xtbs7645x
User Info.
Was disappointed with this movie. Really wanted to love it, but it just fell flat. There is literally no character development at all, not even in the slightest. The story itself was just a mess, felt like everything was happening all at once. Worth a rental I suppose, but nothing you really need to see in theaters. The action was overall pretty good, just there was no substance :(

edit - just to be clear, I didn't hate this movie.. overall it was alright. Also, I wasn't looking for the deepest characters ever.. just they were all very dull. I feel like with the cast they had, it could have been a lot better. Also, seeing Emma Stone in that time era is certainly a plus :)
04:10 PM on 01/18/13
EatShit182
Misanthrope
User Info.
Lol, these are almost becoming real reviews, I'm disappointed.
04:19 PM on 01/18/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
Was disappointed with this movie. Really wanted to love it, but it just fell flat. There is literally no character development at all, not even in the slightest. The story itself was just a mess, felt like everything was happening all at once. Worth a rental I suppose, but nothing you really need to see in theaters. The action was overall pretty good, just there was no substance :(

edit - just to be clear, I didn't hate this movie.. overall it was alright. Also, I wasn't looking for the deepest characters ever.. just they were all very dull. I feel like with the cast they had, it could have been a lot better. Also, seeing Emma Stone in that time era is certainly a plus :)
"rental"? What's that?
04:29 PM on 01/18/13
CaryJS
User Info.
He should review Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
04:30 PM on 01/18/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
My friend put this in the best words the other day: The reason it's disappointing is because this story, with these actors, could easily be made into a fantastic movie with the right director/writer. But with the crew that it has, it comes across incredibly cheesy, predictable and over-done. So it's bad in the sense that it could have EASILY been much better. I mean, the director of ZOMBIELAND (you're welcome DREW) isn't necessarily the first name I think of for directors of this kind of piece.
04:42 PM on 01/18/13
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
I was really let down by this movie. Admittedly I already walked into it torn because the name Gangster Squad alone felt so silly, but then as the film began I quickly realized that this movie didn't know what it wanted to be. Sometimes it wanted to be Dick Tracy, other times it wanted to be The Untouchables and I just wanted it to settle on a tone. Wasn't a bad movie, and I thought Josh Brolin was a complete badass, but I still left feeling pretty apathetic about it.
04:56 PM on 01/18/13
xtbs7645x
User Info.
"rental"? What's that?
*download
05:13 PM on 01/18/13
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
User Info.
He should review Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

Hahahaha that movie is so weird.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version