Username
Password

08:33 PM on 01/18/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Well, I mean, I wouldn't call them "punk," but Fun. (and even some stuff from The Format) has some songs that seem like they could be used in a musical to me. The prechoruses in "Be Calm" for example. But, I've never really heard a band the way you described so I really don't have any good help for ya!
04:21 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Huh, I'm surprised with the suggestions for American Idiot. Just seems like your regular pop/punk album to me, I fail to see what makes that album something that could be on broadway more so than, say, a blink or weezer album haha
04:41 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
maybe the fact that its......on broadway? do you live under a rock?

Yeah, I'm sure that's general, common knowledge amongst everyone in the country. I clearly must live under a rock haha xD

But... that's weird. I just can't picture it. I mean, I guess really any music could be made into performance art, but when someone specifically asks for music that sounds broadway-esque, I just don't see it in listening to the album haha, regardless if they actually have made broadway out of it.
05:04 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
i dont know what to tell you man, its an album that tells a very clear story and its on broadway.

Haha naw, I know what you mean haha you've got a good point, I just don't picture it that way when I hear it is all =p. Good point in the album telling a story for being a good reason to make a play out of it. I feel like IDOTG by Say Anything would be an interesting story to tell visually.
11:31 AM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
The Hold Steady's discography plays out in the same universe with recurring characters and locations, if that's what you're getting at.

I know you said "alternative", "punk", and all that, but it's worth checking out Anais Mitchell's Hadestown, The Antlers' Hospice, Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory, and all the classic rock operas (Tommy, The Wall, Ziggy Stardust, etc.).

Some Nights absolutely. The way they keep coming back to the title track in different songs (see: the end of "Why Am I The One" for a good example) is very reminiscent of musicals. You're also correct about The Format:

Yeah, "Dog Problems" came to mind immediately to me

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version