Password

05:24 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
I try to listen to something I've never heard before daily. The last thing I listened to (and liked) that I hadn't heard before was Robyn's Body Talk

I find music by seeing what people around here that I'm friends with are into, specifically asking for recs, or just browsing websites like Pitchfork and Gorilla vs Bear for new stuff
05:59 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
I'll hold back on my usual scathing remarks here (haha) and just say that I wish pop music would start moving away from the club beats and toward something new at least rhythmically, because then I wouldn't dismiss it all nearly so much. I could be asking too much though, since unconventional directions are like the antithesis of pop music as we know it.

I'm skimming this gorilla vs bear blog you mentioned. What sort of stuff do they cover?
Haha, I can understand that qualm with pop music but electronic music and hip-hop are my two favorite genres, so beat oriented stuff always catches my ear.

They typically cover the kind of stuff that Pitchfork tends to cover, with a little bit more variety and lesser known stuff
09:53 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
for those interested in new music, this band used to be Oceana and their album is coming out tuesday. a few tracks are up for streaming here and, as someone who has already heard the album in full, you're going to want to take a listen when it's released.

http://polyenso.bandcamp.com/
11:18 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
this thread is about discovering music youve never heard before. discovering "old" music is still discovering new music. its new to you. thats what happens when you skim the OP.
04:22 PM on 01/22/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
for anyone into trap/electronic influenced hip-hop, the new rockie fresh single produced by lunice is a banger. his album should be pretty good if its in this vein

https://soundcloud.com/rockie-fresh/...g-feat/s-W8qOM

edit: looks like it came out this week. http://www.datpiff.com/Rockie-Fresh-...pe.438389.html

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos