Username
Password

07:24 AM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
I try and get into new stuff as often as possible and try out as many new (to me) styles of music as I can but I tend to find it quite hard finding new stuff I love, especially in genres I'm not familiar with because I'm not that great at knowing if I like something or not on first listen, or even on fifth listen. It takes me a while to really get into stuff so a lot of the time I'm just guessing at what I think I'll like which doesn't always work. It sucks because there's some stuff I've just ignored that I'm sure I would have loved if I'd given it the time, the same happened with a lot of my favourite bands where I initially dismissed them but came back to them for one reason or another and fell in love after giving them some time. On the other hand there's a lot of stuff I spend a ton of time listening to and never really get into it which makes it pretty frustrating trying to find new shit. I try my best though.

I also find that I don't really like listening to a lot of artists that sound similar, if I like a band I generally don't want something else that sounds similar because that usually just comes across as a worse version of the band I like. I do like looking for music that gives me a familiar feeling though, whether it be through the lyrics or some aspect of the sound without sounding too similar.

I'm listening to The Raven That Refused to Sing by Steven Wilson right now for the first time and I like a lot of the sounds going on in it and it's not that similar to anything I listen to so I'll give it some time and see how it grows on me.

The last thing I got into that was new to me that I ended up absolutely loving was The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit which was another band I had initially written off in that past because it didn't do anything for me and I thought I didn't like Scottish accents in music, haha. Fucking awesome album though.

08:11 AM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
Too turnt
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
Dear God, I look for new music almost daily. I'd say 85% of the music in my library is stuff I've discovered on either this site or Last.fm. 10% I found via YouTube or iTunes, and the remaining 5% from the radio. Favourite bands I learned about in the past year:

BOY - (RIYL: Feist, Cults, Destry)
Brave New Storm - (RIYL: Fleet Foxes, Daughter, Sophie Hunger)
Clearview - (RIYL: Balance & Composure/ Basement/ Deja Entendu)
Everything And Between - (sad mid-tempo shit)
Grimes - (electronic w/ avant-garde influences)
Now, Now - (RIYL: Tegan & Sara, An Horse, Lemuria)
Poliça - (electronic/ r & b)
Shy Technology - (RIYL: We Were Promised Jetpacks, U2)
Tiger! Tiger! (pop-punk)

I came to this site looking for new punk and post-hardcore, but since then, I definitely listen to a lot more indie rock w/ twinkling guitars and electronic music.
I got hooked on Boy overnight after seeing them in this thread, so thank you
02:28 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
I try and get into new stuff as often as possible and try out as many new (to me) styles of music as I can but I tend to find it quite hard finding new stuff I love, especially in genres I'm not familiar with because I'm not that great at knowing if I like something or not on first listen, or even on fifth listen. It takes me a while to really get into stuff so a lot of the time I'm just guessing at what I think I'll like which doesn't always work. It sucks because there's some stuff I've just ignored that I'm sure I would have loved if I'd given it the time, the same happened with a lot of my favourite bands where I initially dismissed them but came back to them for one reason or another and fell in love after giving them some time. On the other hand there's a lot of stuff I spend a ton of time listening to and never really get into it which makes it pretty frustrating trying to find new shit. I try my best though.

I also find that I don't really like listening to a lot of artists that sound similar, if I like a band I generally don't want something else that sounds similar because that usually just comes across as a worse version of the band I like. I do like looking for music that gives me a familiar feeling though, whether it be through the lyrics or some aspect of the sound without sounding too similar.

I'm listening to The Raven That Refused to Sing by Steven Wilson right now for the first time and I like a lot of the sounds going on in it and it's not that similar to anything I listen to so I'll give it some time and see how it grows on me.

The last thing I got into that was new to me that I ended up absolutely loving was The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit which was another band I had initially written off in that past because it didn't do anything for me and I thought I didn't like Scottish accents in music, haha. Fucking awesome album though.

Firstly, both of these sound awesome, where can I get them? I really like that Steven Wilson song for the weirdness factor.

Secondly, as for your first paragraph, I can definitely understand. However, instead of forcing yourself to like something that your mind simply isn't having, I would suggest that you drop it for a while and come back to it a few months later with fresh ears. Most things take time to enjoy, but I think it's a waste to try and force a square peg into a round hole.
02:41 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old

One of my absolute favourite albums ever. There's no album that I'd say is better than it, there's a few that I'd put as equal to it, but nothing better. It's perfect.

Anyway, to use this thread for its proper purpose, here is a really cool jazz drummer that I've been listening to recently. She's only 15 as well. I made a thread for her that predictably got no replies ha.

06:23 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
Staff Member
Haha, I can understand that qualm with pop music but electronic music and hip-hop are my two favorite genres, so beat oriented stuff always catches my ear.

They typically cover the kind of stuff that Pitchfork tends to cover, with a little bit more variety and lesser known stuff

Same. Also, I used to try listening to new things every day but there's not enough time for me anymore.
09:19 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
I Might Be Wrong, an indie-rock band akin to Metric's Live It Out, formerly signed to Sinnbus Records. Released two albums and then broke up last summer.

09:50 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
i don't look for new music very often because i'm still not done exploring old music
09:56 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

i don't really relate to the rest of your post, i can usually tell on first listen if i like something or not -- usually things that "grow on me" were at least intriguing in some way even if they didn't seem my cup of tea.

but i will say this paragraph is exactly how i feel and it makes it a lot easier to narrow down which music i want to continue listening to.
10:03 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
You know what? Just check out Sinnbus Records. It's a German label focused on indie-rock, electronic, and folk acts (a great amount of which sing in English), and everything just happens to fucking slay. All of it. There's a YouTube playlist embedded on their homepage.
10:07 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
I listen to new new music and new old music all the time. Everyone go check out Night Beds and California X
10:07 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
How often do you look for it? Where do you look for it? Do you find yourself exploring new genres? At what point do you get bored with your library? What have you found currently and/or in the past? Feel free to share and discuss. You're more than welcome to use this thread to pass things along and also as a dumping site for recently discovered things. If it's new to you, then great, post it, if it's not, feel free to share or discuss it anyway in the hopes that someone else discovers it. The last time someone made a thread like this I'm pretty sure it devolved into an unsubstantial chat thread, which I definitely don't want. No self-promotion either, unless you include yourself with other material. I'm hoping this thread will turn out something like the bandcamp thread I made forever ago (which I will never stop being addicted to), except more broadly defined and with real discussion.

Personally, anyone who knows me and my ridiculous listening habits knows I am insatiable. If I'm craving a particular sound, it's not enough that I have something that captures that sound. If it exists, I must have more. If I had all the time in the world, I'd learn like every instrument possible and make all the albums I wish my favorite artists had made and then some, but alas, I don't, so onward I search. I'm going to need a new hard drive in the very near future at this rate, and I have to make myself actually go into my library and play all this stuff back every so often so that I can really appreciate exactly how much music I've found that I really enjoy. The only downsides are that I have to deal with a duplication problem considering I can't decompress and import in one step, and that I find myself taking out filler every so often. I'm also on a budget, so I sniff out free music much more frequently than things I would have to pay for; most of those suggestions come from actual people instead of searching.

Rather than make this thread totally about me from the start (I'm kind of afraid the bandcamp thread has become this way, I seem to be the only regular contributor) by including things that have piqued my interest lately, I'll leave my thoughts without music to accompany and give it up to you guys to start talking and giving recs and whatnot. Any and all genres are welcome.

*** Something I forgot to mention. Please do try to include links to the music as much as possible, because we want to make the music as easy to find as possible. If people are anything like me, I'm way more apt to ignore things that don't have links because it's a pain in the neck to have to manually search for something someone already had put thought into suggesting. Anything that is streamable would be perfect. Try to avoid embedding lots of youtube videos though, as it seems to lag browsers.

Hmm I'll bite:

- I'm pretty much always on the lookout for new music. Not that I'm always listening, but I always have a draft saved in my phone of recs from people, names not to forget, commercials or movies I want to look up a song from, etc.

- I find music from lots of sources. I have a spreadsheet with hundreds of band names. Stuff my dad likes. Stuff my bandmate recommends to me. Stuff friends on here mention. Stuff I see on "best of" lists. Stuff mentioned in reviews of bands I already like. Stuff listed under "similar artists" for bands I already like. Stuff I hear on the radio or TV (both old and new). Bands that get namedropped by bands I like. Pretty much any way I can find 'em.

- I'm open to pretty much any genre (barring some sub-genres that just do nothing for me). Country, classical, jazz and blues were the last to come around for me (and still the genres I know the least of), but I pride myself on giving an open-minded listen to anything, from p4k's BNM to Disney pop stars.

i don't look for new music very often because i'm still not done exploring old music

This is silly. They're not mutually exclusive.
10:08 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
And I won't make any recs, because I'd get carried away and annoy people or keep flogging the albums I am always stan-ing for that everyone who knows me is already tired of hearing about. Haha.
10:11 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
This is silly. They're not mutually exclusive.

i know but there are at least 60 years of what could be considered Western popular music (depending on how you define it), 2013 is only one of those years. there's a lot more old music than new music to be explored.
10:18 PM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
this thread is about discovering music youve never heard before. discovering "old" music is still discovering new music. its new to you. thats what happens when you skim the OP.
03:21 PM on 01/22/13 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
And I won't make any recs, because I'd get carried away and annoy people or keep flogging the albums I am always stan-ing for that everyone who knows me is already tired of hearing about. Haha.
Please do. Any and all contributions are highly encouraged. if you feel like you'll bog down the thread (like I did), just try to restrain yourself, or you could also try to fit as much into a single post as you can.

this thread is about discovering music youve never heard before. discovering "old" music is still discovering new music. its new to you. thats what happens when you skim the OP.
Yup.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version