Username
Password
Album Info. News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 51 of 51.
12:24 PM on 01/22/13
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
i get the reasoning but don't agree with it. i dont see how this band could ever be associated with the recent tragedies.
06:24 PM on 01/22/13
Hank_TTNG
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Guys Hank here from TTNG.

Seems a few people are lacking our reasoning behind the name change and jumping to speculation. I've just popped our statement about the change up on the main page of our website

Hopefully this will give you a little more context behind the change.

I'd also like you to know that my personal want to move away from the full name is completely abstract from any current events or social pressures of political correctness. When the boys asked me if I would consider joining the band, the name made it very difficult for me. I eventually got perspective and realised that the opportunity to work with such amazing musicians was way more important than my dislike of a silly band name. It wasn't until in the band that the gravity of the name became more obvious, and that it wasn't just a silly band name. With stories of people being on the receiving end of abuse for wearing the band's t-shirts, the importance of context on the name was clear - without the knowledge that it was the name of a band, the statement 'this town needs guns' is left to be taken literally. As we continue promoting the bands music, the name is going to find itself in more and more places without this qualifying context to excuse it.

I am an adamant pacifist and the idea of guns and indeed any form of violence turns my stomach. The idea of attaching myself to such a statement, that can so readily be taken out of context, and irony overlooked, has felt like a real compromise on my integrity.

Anyways, we are not violent people, we don't make violent music, why should we have a violent name? I often wonder how many people have been put off listening to the band assuming that the music is really heavy.

So why not change to a completely new name all together? Because we're still the same band. We still play old songs and want to continue doing so. Sure the band's evolved since the last release, but TTNG has always been in a state of flux throughout the bands history. In fact, on the album 'Animals', for which the band is most known, Stu was the only original member. So that's it, we're still the same band, we're just moving forwards. Changing the name all together would sever the link between the old material and the new and remove it from being seen as the progression that it is as a whole body of work.

Having just read this back I realise that it might seem to some that the name change has been my idea, I assure you that this is not the case. It is a decision that we have come to together with the help, love and support of our amazing record label Sargent House.

I'm going to pop back here to see if anyone has any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

High-fives and goodtimes,

Hank
x
04:02 PM on 01/23/13
davidswan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hi Hank. I don't have a problem with the name change at all, I think the move totally makes sense. Just wondering did the band consider changing it to something a bit more... easy to pronounce?

Just coz maybe telling my friends about a band called TTNG might be harder than This Town Needs Guns, for example. Thanks for your post though man and definitely digging the new record.
04:43 PM on 01/23/13
smeguy
explaining colors to the blind
User Info.
Heyo! Question here: like I've read from the "official statements" and now from you - a name is secondary to the music. However, calling it TTNG is still just short for the same thing you have an issue with, and all your website URLs and merchandise will keep saying This Town Needs Guns, so why not shorten it (This Town) or change it altogether? I totally understand the desire to keep familiarity name-wise while not severing attachment to older material, but why not change the name and then continue playing older songs? Seems like you guys are going a little out of the way to justify keeping the band name.

Seriously enjoying the new record, loved your work with Pennines and you fit right in with this band excellently. Stoked for your US tour!
08:42 AM on 01/25/13
Hank_TTNG
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Davidswan,

Absolutely agree, TTNG is hardly catchy or easy to remember. Part of what makes This Town Needs Guns a good band name is the very reason we don't want to be called it any more. Because it's such a bold and disagreeable statement it's harder to forget.

Obviously with most decisions there are pros and cons, and in this case we feel the pros of the name change are more important to us than loosing a more memorable name. Having a completely new name would be totally rad town and everything, however for the reasons I've outlined above we feel a move towards TTNG is right for us. Besides an awful lot of people already refer to us as TTNG anyway, and it's not really all that awkward. It could be worse we could be called Algernon Cadwallader :)

Thanks for the reply, and the kind comment about the new record.

H
09:18 AM on 01/25/13
Hank_TTNG
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hi there Mr Smeg U Y,

Thanks for the complements dude!

There is already a band called 'This Town', though strangely enough that was a suggestion made by Tim and Chris' mum the other day. We will be changing all the merch and URLs in time - for a completely uniform change to TTNG.

We are totally silly dudes and have a tendency to not take interviews too seriously. the potential that the ambiguity of TTNG provides, by allowing us to come up with total nonsense to explain what it stands for, is way too irresistible. My faves at the moment are 'Tartrek The Next Generation' and 'Teenage Tutant Ninja Gurtles' - I'm hoping we're going to run a competition to come up with the best ones.

We're obviously realistic about this, and under no illusions - dudes are going to do as they please. A good few people are going to continue referring to us as This Town Needs Guns - and that's cool. The point of the name change isn't for fans who already know us and know that This Town Needs Guns is an ironic statement and is nothing more than a band name. It's for people that don't have this information to provide a context to seeing the name abstract from any explanation - so as to avoid the potential damage and hurt that such a statement can cause.

See you in the states!

H
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums