Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

HMV Administration Update

Posted by: Kyle Huntington (01/22/13)
There has been a lot of news regarding the biggest music and entertainment retail store in the UK, HMV, after they recently went into administration. The loss of this huge chain of stores would have a devastating effect on how music and film is purchased in the UK, let alone the personal effect on the thousands of employees, however a recent development has set things back in a more positive direction after Hilco UK acquired all of HMV's debts. Whilst not in the clear, this is a huge step forward in saving the last existing chain of music and movie retailers in the UK.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
07:33 AM on 01/22/13
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
User Info.
thank god, all my HMV reward points might be useful now!
07:34 AM on 01/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
so they acquire all of the debt until a year from now when this just happens again? there is no fix here, stop relying on physical music.
07:35 AM on 01/22/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Remember Sam Goody?
07:36 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
thank god, all my HMV reward points might be useful now!
Haha they are!
so they acquire all of the debt until a year from now when this just happens again? there is no fix here, stop relying on physical music.
Whilst I agree it's going to happen eventually anyways, which is very depressing, it's actually the film side of things that would bother me most about the closing of these stores. I buy all physical music from the band/label websites anyways so that wouldn't bother me personally, but being able to walk around a store, library almost, of Blu-ray and DVDs is so much better than thinking of something you specifically want and finding it online.
07:37 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Haha yes, buying song sheets and tab sheets for one song at a time.
07:39 AM on 01/22/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Haha yes, buying song sheets and tab sheets for one song at a time.

Other than HMV how big of a hold does Virgin have on markets like this?
07:44 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Other than HMV how big of a hold does Virgin have on markets like this?
Zero. No more Virgin stores in the UK at all.

edit: For Entertainment.
07:48 AM on 01/22/13
The_Blackout94
Chances are, I'm injured
User Info.
It devastates me that HMV is going. I knew it was inevitable when Zaavi went a few years ago,but it won't lessen the impact on me. I own probably 100 CDs and I'd say at least 85 of them were bought at HMV.

When HMV finally goes physical music is done in the UK. Supermarkets like Asda and Tesco stock a few copies of each entry in the Top 40, but that covers barely anything, and nothing that I would ever buy. I can't think of a single other place near me to buy physical. Fuck this.
07:51 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
It devastates me that HMV is going. I knew it was inevitable when Zaavi went a few years ago,but it won't lessen the impact on me. I own probably 100 CDs and I'd say at least 85 of them were bought at HMV.

When HMV finally goes physical music is done in the UK. Supermarkets like Asda and Tesco stock a few copies of each entry in the Top 40, but that covers barely anything, and nothing that I would ever buy. I can't think of a single other place near me to buy physical. Fuck this.
Whilst it does suck, it's weird that the only places to buy physical music first hand (outside of Top 40) will be independent record stores again. There are obviously so few of them nowadays, but it will go straight back to them.

Not saying that will happen or help the stores, as I said, there's so few of them that you more than likely have to travel to get to one rather than walking to a HMV in town, so people will just carry on buying online anyways.
07:52 AM on 01/22/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Zero. No more Virgin stores in the UK at all.

edit: For Entertainment.

I see.

What's your favorite shops then? Rough Trade?
07:52 AM on 01/22/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
HMV still does pretty well in Canada, although the "music" portion only takes up about a 1/3 of the store. Still, apart from the main location downtown TO, the stores don't sell vinyl, which bothers me.

But yes, I agree that the few music stores that will eventually exist will all be independents, and probably consist mostly of vinyl located in large city centers. Empire Records version 2.0
07:59 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
I see.

What's your favorite shops then? Rough Trade?
Sister Ray, Rough Trade, SoundClash in particular yeah. Rough Trade is just heaven.
07:59 AM on 01/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Haha they are!

Whilst I agree it's going to happen eventually anyways, which is very depressing, it's actually the film side of things that would bother me most about the closing of these stores. I buy all physical music from the band/label websites anyways so that wouldn't bother me personally, but being able to walk around a store, library almost, of Blu-ray and DVDs is so much better than thinking of something you specifically want and finding it online.
well maybe you just came up with a business idea.

configure a website like a brick and mortar. let us browse in 3d. i'd try it.
08:00 AM on 01/22/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
well maybe you just came up with a business idea.

configure a website like a brick and mortar. let us browse in 3d. i'd try it.
We might be onto something here. Help me? That's genuinely a good idea.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests