Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Commentary Version of New Ra Ra Riot Album

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/22/13)
A commentary version of the new Ra Ra Riot album is on Rdio.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
07:19 PM on 01/22/13
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I'll give it a couple more listens to settle in, but I really liked it after my first listen today.
07:29 PM on 01/22/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I was pretty disappointed with this album. The Rhumb Line was so good and even Orchard is cool once in a while
07:42 PM on 01/22/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
album sucks
07:44 PM on 01/22/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Worst thing I've heard this year. So disappointing.
07:49 PM on 01/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I was pretty disappointed with this album. The Rhumb Line was so good and even Orchard is cool once in a while

Worst thing I've heard this year. So disappointing.

This has been the consensus I've seen around the net ... it's kept me from listening to it because I don't wanna be that disappointed. Shit. Guess I'll go give it a listen ...
07:51 PM on 01/22/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
This has been the consensus I've seen around the net ... it's kept me from listening to it because I don't wanna be that disappointed. Shit. Guess I'll go give it a listen ...
It's not TERRIBLE, it's just really not memorable at all
07:54 PM on 01/22/13
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
I was not disappointed, I love this album and this band. Yeah it's different but it's still Ra Ra.
07:58 PM on 01/22/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

No harm trying. Who knows. First song is just so bad, so at least don't shut it off after that one, give it a few more, hahah.
When I Dream is the one I dig.
08:06 PM on 01/22/13
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Wouldn't say it's the worst thing I've heard so far this year, but it did not interest me in the slightest.
08:31 PM on 01/22/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
i think its a pretty good album. I'm also sorta biased since this band is from Syracuse I've always followed them and hoped for great success.
10:16 PM on 01/22/13
xName Takenx
User Info.
I am very curious to hear opinions on this album, if people are reading through the comments please tell me what you think. I find the "ALBUM SUCKS" "BLOWS" "BRING BACK RHUMB LINE" comments to be stupid. Here's what I think:

1) album sounds schizophrenic... I know they wanted to be experimental with this album and make it a little more synth heavy, but parts of it sound like snippets from a justin timberlake album, and many of the songs simply end unexpectedly, or take turns that leave you wondering if it's a new song, or just an off beat part...

2) I feel like the album lacks depth.. I think this is the part where Alex is missed the most. No female vocals at any point in the album, the strings are still there, but again, no depth. Many of the songs have almost no guitar and a drowning of synth and drums. I remember when I first listened to this band, and through word of mouth this was an awesome band "with a violinist and a cellist" that carried great melodies and had catchy, catchy riffs from ANY instrument in the band.

3) I feel like they lost their originality. maybe 2 or 3 cuts are good.. every track off the album starts with a synth melody that goes for about the first 20 seconds of the song, and then is layered by an equally repetitive drum track, followed by a few neat string parts, and then slathered over by rollercoaster vocals; it's very forgettable

I'm not going to beg for The Orchard, or The Rhumb Line parts 2 (respectively) but i guess i just expected a lot more from a band that was so unique and refreshing in a genre that is slowly becoming overcrowded.

what does everyone else think??
10:25 PM on 01/22/13
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Biggest disappointment in some time. The Orchard is one of my favorite records, this has maybe 2 or 3 good songs
02:19 AM on 01/23/13
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
I really enjoyed Rhumb Line, loved The Orchard...but nothing about this record feels sincere or reminiscent of why I fell for Ra Ra in the first place. Lyrically, it just gets worse as it goes. The whole mid-80s synth rock kick gets old after three songs save the title track, "When I Dream", and "Angel, Please". It was like Alexandra Lawn took the soul from this band when she left or something. More likely though, I'm thinking they're trying to pull a "fun." with this album and cross over big time into the mainstream, which is kind of a bummer since this poppy edge doesn't suit them well at all.
07:16 AM on 01/23/13
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
I was not disappointed, I love this album and this band. Yeah it's different but it's still Ra Ra.

I agree with you. My thoughts on it here: http://thewhiteboarddoodles.wordpres...ew-ra-ra-riot/
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests