AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
08:16 PM on 01/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Where's the thread on the Paramore song? Im interested see what everyone thinks of it...
http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3018982
08:21 PM on 01/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
i think a streaming release through a single site (perhaps the band's own?) the day before it goes to purchase outlets would probably solve this problem pretty easily.
I think that sounds like the best way for everyone to hear it at the same time + put your pre-order packages up with it.

What I'm curious about is if you want that first "listen" to be a purchase ... like your goal (like it seems this release was) is to sell the thing on iTunes / Amazon ... that HAS to be timed better, otherwise as soon as it hits the first country ... your entire plan to turn a sale is fucked.

So yeah, do it on YouTube with ads on your own site if you wanna monetize your stream, then push people to purchase the day after and not worry about when it gets rolled out. OR these digital outlets need to allow an artist more control over timing of releasing it.
08:24 PM on 01/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Related: Looking at iTunes charts now ... did "Now" chart higher anywhere last night (see it at 39 now)?
08:35 PM on 01/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
That's right Jason, it isn't possible.
Hmmm. I was afraid of that ... should be fixed.
09:51 AM on 01/23/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
This should just encourage bands (even the big ones) to explore direct-to-fan modes of selling their music. Bandcamp doesn't take as big of a cut as iTunes. Paramore could have put the single up on Bandcamp and linked everyone there - the most interested fans will be the first to listen, and be the first to buy it, and you make a little more money per sale. Then have it available in every other outlet the day after, for the lazier / less interested folks.
Bandcamp report to soundscan?

I'm assuming that's one big reason major bands don't.
12:10 PM on 01/23/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Then I'm even more confused why they don't do it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests