AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

08:00 PM on 01/22/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Instead of Top 10, we should do Top whatever that would include me.
05:20 PM on 02/05/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Thought you might get a chuckle outta this (hopefully you know your Dr. Seuss)

Cameron Mulling Plan to Mark E.U. Citizens With Stars
I love the Sneetches, especially those with stars upon thars.
06:51 AM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I'm not completely against the use of drones, am I to understand that everyone else is?

I think the drones need more oversight, among other things, but not shut down.
05:38 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
We let it happen under Bush and we let it double under Obama. Don't forget that Romney campaigned for adding even more. It's a problem that is just going to keep getting bigger and bigger.
Robots are what the military wants. They're funding research like crazy, which works out nicely for me (but not my conscience).
06:55 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
And its funny to see this argument of "well I can't be completely against it because I think drones are okay, its the accountability that's the issue" coming from the left who scoffs at that same argument when it comes to gun control. In both cases the argument misses the point.
What is fundamentally wrong with using drones?
07:15 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Um, they kill people.
Obviously. That is what's fundamentally wrong with war, not drones.

It also further dehumanizes war, which I think is very dangerous considering the dehumanization propaganda that already goes into declaring war.
Ok, now that I agree with. I still don't think that drones are completely without use, though.
09:17 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Let me highlight this: I do have a problem with remote missiles being implemented irresponsibly in the same way I have a problem with drones being implemented irresponsible.
This is where I'm confused. You seem to be painting others in the thread as not sufficiently against these drones, but by this synopsis, you have roughly the same view of drone use as everyone else.
09:20 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Aside from the argument of who's to blame for this policy, does anyone know how we can get involved in swaying public opinion against it? I don't think much of the population realizes we're killing innocent civilians here to save our volunteer soldiers.
I think a large portion of the public could probably care less. Civilians in the "war on terror" aren't viewed the same to them as civilians in Europe in WWII to a big swath of America, likely because they're brown and American's don't understand their "foreign culture."
09:32 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Huh? We killed a lot more civilians in Europe during WWII, and there wasn't much backlash against that. At least not until Dresden, when everyone realized that the war was over and it was unkind to burn tens of thousands of people to death.
Well, I'll be the first to admit my dearth of knowledge on other wars, so I could be completely wrong. It just seems to me, a lot of Americans seem to think that all Arabic people are terrorists, so they don't care that much when they hear about civilian casualties. If we were currently at war with some European country, I highly doubt we would be as OK with civilian casualties.
09:42 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I don't know, we seem to adopt a "fuck them all" mentality no matter who we're against, e.g. putting Japanese people in internment camps, hating France 50 years later because they didn't win the war for us, general disregard for claims of land by descendants of Native Americans, etc. Granted, these aren't as extreme as blowing up civilians, but I'm not convinced we wouldn't justify it no matter who we were doing it to.
Yeah, I suppose it's just because I haven't lived through the other wars.
09:43 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
OMG IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing special here yet, tonight/tomorrow morning should be interesting though.
09:52 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
You're in Boston, right? That's suppose to receive the worst of it.
It seems like (barring Weather.com's insanity) it's not going to be more than a foot and some change. It wont matter to me much if the power stays on.
02:15 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Fuck shoveling. Hard.
07:51 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Ron Paul wants RonPaul.com, but not through the free market.

Hypocrite much?
07:52 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Does anyone really care? Does the Catholic Church even matter anymore? God is dead/the cake is a lie.
Serious Catholics care (e.g. my grandmother).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos