phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
03:11 PM on 01/28/13
justrockroll
justrockroll
User Info.
This whole thing has been blow way out of proportion. Zack did his job - confirmed his sources and reported the news. This has been done countless times before and will again in the future. It's no different than Dave Navarro saying blink broke up before the official announcement. Pictures were taken of the rolling stone "secretly rehearsing" last year. The police and beach boy reunions were rumored and leaked well before anything official was announced. Bottom line is if you don't want people to know, keep your mouth shut. There's no issue when 5 sources confirmed something and zack reported on it. This is the culture of today. It is what it is.
03:18 PM on 01/28/13
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just curious why this news broke on Friday afternoon which is usually the slowest news time for non-important stories going into the weekend, and not like peak hours today? Seems like if you waited this long itd be better publicity for the POZ website, or when the story is this big does it not even matter when it is released?
03:26 PM on 01/28/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Just curious why this news broke on Friday afternoon which is usually the slowest news time for non-important stories going into the weekend, and not like peak hours today? Seems like if you waited this long itd be better publicity for the POZ website, or when the story is this big does it not even matter when it is released?
Basically, I had been working on this for two months. A month ago I knew for sure it was legitimate. I also knew that other sites were working on the story and could launch any time. So when I got the final confirmation, I just went for it.

Today absolutely would've been a better day to go for it. But, I was scared, to be honest.
03:27 PM on 01/28/13
Fuck_yeah_dude
Doug J.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ugh. Who cares. Fall Out Boy is what's important. And there's no more news! So get to reporting it please!
04:13 PM on 01/28/13
Charles777
my anaconda don't
User Info.
Wait, it's actually happening? Cool.
04:40 PM on 01/28/13
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Actually, I was first! I called a 2013 reunion back in late 2011! On this website! No one is giving me credit

Seriously, Zack did the right thing.
06:12 PM on 01/28/13
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Certainly an enjoyable read, but Pfleider misses the mark twice.

First (and perhaps this is overly trivial, but 'tis salient anyways), comparing the "first" culture to the counter-culture is a stretch....certainly one not worthy of a mere mention.

Second (and most importantly), is this prevailing myth that the internet, and specifically online music "journalism," has somehow sucked the "excitement" out of news. Hardly the case. Many people were excited by the Fall Out Boy news; surely many more than in the past when few were "in the know." Now everyone is "in the know" so everyone shares in the excitement. It is wonderful thing.

I am proud that we ran the FOB news and proud of Zack's work. It was the right thing to do.
06:40 PM on 01/28/13
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Interesting read...
09:35 PM on 01/28/13
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
So is POZ the new TMZ?

In all seriousness though, good read. Explained a lot!
10:14 PM on 01/28/13
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Certainly an enjoyable read, but it Pfleider misses the mark twice.

First (and perhaps this is overly trivial, but 'tis salient anyways), comparing the "first" culture to the counter-culture is a stretch....certainly one not worthy of a mere mention.

Second (and most importantly), is this prevailing myth that the internet, and specifically online music "journalism," has somehow sucked the "excitement" out of news. Hardly the case. Many people were excited by the Fall Out Boy news; surely many more than in the past when few were "in the know." Now everyone is "in the know" so everyone shares in the excitement. It is wonderful thing.

I am proud that we ran the FOB news and proud of Zack's work. It was the right thing to do.
FIRST off...Meeze, you're one of the few I like to convo with...

okay, I see your second point, but I have to argue the first.

When I say "know," I mean the outside spectrum of people who are aware of something a majority of people are not. You CAN link that to counter-culture and the vice of what is hip and on the outside. Why do people feel the need to leak information? Does it make them seem cool? Does it make them feel like they have higher power towards something? That they "know" about a particular situation or event BEFORE the masses do? Zack KNEW the information, and he KNEW any of the million of other publications could have leaked the news FIRST. He did, and he did it right. I'm not mad at him for doing his job, I'm just wondering why he had to do it first? Why couldn't he wait until an official announcement? He knew other people KNEW.

The people to blame here are the three to five whistleblowers with said information that should have kept their mouths shut. It's a give and take from each side.

I don't know, I love you Meeze! Let's keep talking if you want.
12:18 AM on 01/29/13
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
And you’re someone who knows someone who knows someone I once knew. And I just want to be a part of this.
03:34 PM on 01/29/13
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.

When I say "know," I mean the outside spectrum of people who are aware of something a majority of people are not. You CAN link that to counter-culture and the vice of what is hip and on the outside. Why do people feel the need to leak information? Does it make them seem cool? Does it make them feel like they have higher power towards something? That they "know" about a particular situation or event BEFORE the masses do? Zack KNEW the information, and he KNEW any of the million of other publications could have leaked the news FIRST. He did, and he did it right. I'm not mad at him for doing his job, I'm just wondering why he had to do it first? Why couldn't he wait until an official announcement? He knew other people KNEW.

The people to blame here are the three to five whistleblowers with said information that should have kept their mouths shut. It's a give and take from each side.

Your willingness to banter with me makes me blush. That being said, I hope you did not take what I said in a accusatory tone.

I see what you're saying about the counter-culture reference, but I feel that applies to so much more than just the 60's anti-establishmenters (which I am sure you'll agree).

We both agree that the people at fault here are the whistle-blowers...unless, of course, their whistle blowing was planned... but who would do something like thatt?

I am not sure you and I disagree, really. You're perspective from both sides of the mirror is what fascinated me in the first place....that and you're awesome last name.
04:47 PM on 01/29/13
ConnorPOZ
User Info.

I think the reason Zack did it first is because (in the long run) it will give him more credibility. If we post something later that some people call bullshit on they could think back to when everyone called Zack a liar for Fall Out Boy and maybe that would change their mind. Now you could look at it from a cynical point of view where someone breaks news like that first just so that until other sites pick it up the only place to find that story would be POZ for example. I think it's bigger than that, Zack did what a lot of journalists would do in his situation: he risked his reputation on a story he believed in, and while for the time being some might have lost their faith in him in the long run it will be huge for him.

I get that we might have spoiled a big surprise, but that happens in every industry. That's what happens when too many people know something confidential.Things slip and its our job to confirm the validity and share the news. To me breaking a story like that cements that he can be a legitimate source for real news (not that we weren't legit before,) as opposed to some sites where every post is copied from a different site. I completely understand both sides of the argument and really enjoyed reading your piece, I just think I'm a little biased towards Zack because he has been one of my best friends for the past 5 (6??) plus years.
06:40 PM on 01/29/13
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I think the reason Zack did it first is because (in the long run) it will give him more credibility. If we post something later that some people call bullshit on they could think back to when everyone called Zack a liar for Fall Out Boy and maybe that would change their mind. Now you could look at it from a cynical point of view where someone breaks news like that first just so that until other sites pick it up the only place to find that story would be POZ for example. I think it's bigger than that, Zack did what a lot of journalists would do in his situation: he risked his reputation on a story he believed in, and while for the time being some might have lost their faith in him in the long run it will be huge for him.

I get that we might have spoiled a big surprise, but that happens in every industry. That's what happens when too many people know something confidential.Things slip and its our job to confirm the validity and share the news. To me breaking a story like that cements that he can be a legitimate source for real news (not that we weren't legit before,) as opposed to some sites where every post is copied from a different site. I completely understand both sides of the argument and really enjoyed reading your piece, I just think I'm a little biased towards Zack because he has been one of my best friends for the past 5 (6??) plus years.
I agree with you. Again, like I said, I don't blame Zack for what he did. He did his job. I'm just throwing out the conversation as to whether or not he SHOULD HAVE or NOT. There is never a right answer to anything I write...this was and will always be to stir discussion.

Again, I agree with your point. I consider myself pretty close to Zack, and I didn't write this to bash him, I wrote it to set-up another side of the story and to create discussion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos