Password

Album Review

Patrick Stump - Soul Punk Album Cover

Patrick Stump - Soul Punk

Reviewed by
Patrick StumpSoul Punk
Record Label: Island Records
Release Date: October 18th, 2011
Remember in 2007 - 2008 when Illinois pop-punk band Fall Out Boy was on top of the world, and the billboard charts? I was merely just starting to get into music around then, but Fall Out Boy was one of the first bands I got into and one of the main things that really interested me about them was vocalist Patrick Stump. The moment I listened to his first notes on Infinity On High, I knew he was going places; fast forward six years, and I was definitely right. In that time span, he’s lost a lot of weight, acted in a few TV shows, joined an improv comedy club, got married to a longtime girlfriend, produced plenty of records and songs for lots of bands, and finally, released a solo record in 2011, entitled Soul Punk. The album was rather mysterious, but beforehand, he released an EP earlier in the year entitled Truant Wave. This served as a teaser, so to speak. When the record finally came out, it seemed to garner a lot of mixed reactions. Some people, like myself, absolutely loved Patrick’s solo material while other people were comparing it Fall Out Boy, despite the record being an entirely different genre. I never understood that, in all honesty; Patrick Stump wanted to branch out from pop-punk, and who would blame him? I know if I had been with a band for ten years, I’d want to do something different. I will admit that I was rather taken aback with the pop, R&B and soul-laden material of Soul Punk, but after a few listens, I was sold. Patrick’s voice is very well suited for pop and R&B, and on the last two Fall Out Boy records, they experimented quite a bit with that sound. I promise that’s the last Fall Out Boy reference I’ll make, but I can’t be too sure. Regardless, though, people seemed to jump to conclusions about Soul Punk before they really even listened to it. Granted, Patrick Stump is one of the most well known vocalists of our generation and Fall Out Boy is a very treasured band to many kids my age, so it only makes sense that kids would have a strong reaction to this record.

The record begins with the track “Explode,” and explosive is definitely a word to describe the first song. It doesn’t take a breath, essentially. Right from the bat, Patrick’s new “pop” sound is definitely apparent, and his vocals are wonderful as well. I’d go as far to say that Patrick’s vocals have never been better. Lyrically, that’s the only complaint I really have. Since Patrick didn’t write a majority of the lyrics in Fall Out Boy, Patrick is just starting to write his own. For the most part, they’re great, but a few instances, the lyrics are a bit mediocre. Especially second track “This City,” which was the first single released from the album. It makes sense, because that track is easily the most “radio friendly.” It’s also one of the catchiest songs on the record, too. Third track “Dance Miserable” is one of the best tracks on the record, and one the catchiest as well. This song also demonstrates Patrick’s vocal abilities, too. There’s even a vocal solo in the bridge of the song. Patrick just absolutely kills it. Fourth track “Spotlight (New Regret)” is much more of a pop track, too; the song is actually based on one to appear on the Truant Wave EP, entitled “Spotlight (Oh Nostalgia).” They’re both the same song, but the latter has a much slower tempo. Regardless, both tracks are very enjoyable. And “Spotlight (New Regret)” feels much more at home on the record than the latter. The next two songs “The “I” In Lie” and “Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers)” are my two favorite songs on the album, hands down. Both songs have wonderful lyrics, Patrick’s voice kills it like usual, and the overall music is just absolutely fantastic. The former is an R&B-laden track that deals with cheating spouses, and it’s quite an interesting song. The latter is a pop track that’s all about a drinking problem, and Stump is trying to confront the problem, yet being rather in denial about it at the same time. The song is about 8 minutes long, but about halfway into the song, a hidden track shows up called “Cryptozoology,” and it’s rather interesting, because it’s a hidden track that shows up in the middle of the record. Usually, this happens at the end, but it actually works to its advantage. Seventh track “Greed” is probably the one song I really don’t care for on this album; it’s not that it’s a bad track, but it just doesn’t gripe me as songs like eighth track “Everybody Wants Somebody” or ninth track “Allie.” Those songs are just absolutely fantastic in every single way. Last track “Coast (It’s Gonna Get Better)” is another one of my favorite tracks on the album. This seems to be a very fitting end to the record, because the whole message of the song is essentially that things will get better, and I take that as a metaphor for saying Patrick’s solo career will get better. Or at least, better things will be in store in the future.

Overall, this is a very solid record; while Patrick’s lyrics are not up to par with Pete Wentz’s, they still are great. The only song that really doesn’t show his writing skills is “This City.” The song is merely about loving your city, which is a nice concept, but the lyrics fall a bit flat. Regardless, the record is fantastic. Patrick Stump has cited that Michael Jackson is a huge influence and I can definitely hear it. I can hear him and Prince throughout this record, and it really shows. Instead of completely tarnishing these artists’ names, Patrick Stump takes pop music and turns it on its side. Another thing that I absolutely loved about this record was that Patrick did everything himself. Every note you hear is from him. He also didn’t get any other producers as well, so he really outdid himself with this record. You can tell he put a lot of time and effort into this record, and it shows. It’s one of the best records I’ve ever heard, to be honest. This record is great but sadly, fair weather fans of Fall Out Boy most likely would never give it a chance because it’s out of their comfort zone.

Recommended If You LikeMichael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Prince, wonderful R&B and pop music, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Explode
2. This City
3. Dance Miserable
4. Spotlight (New Regrets)
5. The “I” In Lie
6. Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers)
7. Greed
8. Everybody Wants Somebody
9. Allie
10. Coast (It’s Gonna Get Better)

www.facebook.com/patrickstump
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:41 PM on 02/15/13
emmareden
User Info.
really nice to hear someone appreciate Patrick Stump. I believe he's so underappreciated, and though I love Pete too, he pushes Stump out of the way, he's just seen as some pop dude on the radio, and unless you actually listen to his vocals without that pre-judgement, you're not going to hear it (as with any artist). I really love his solo album (but i am SO glad fob have just announced a new album!), there's one or two songs (Greed being one of them) that fall a little flat, but the rest of it is close to flawless. It's different, it's NOT fall out boy, but it's Patrick Stump on his own and I think we all knew he had it in him, so I'm glad he got this out.
Enjoyed your review thoroughly, not too biased at all and as I said, nice to hear appreciation for one of the best (and under appreciated) vocalists out there!
01:59 PM on 02/17/13
justbradley
User Info.
really nice to hear someone appreciate Patrick Stump. I believe he's so underappreciated, and though I love Pete too, he pushes Stump out of the way, he's just seen as some pop dude on the radio, and unless you actually listen to his vocals without that pre-judgement, you're not going to hear it (as with any artist). I really love his solo album (but i am SO glad fob have just announced a new album!), there's one or two songs (Greed being one of them) that fall a little flat, but the rest of it is close to flawless. It's different, it's NOT fall out boy, but it's Patrick Stump on his own and I think we all knew he had it in him, so I'm glad he got this out.
Enjoyed your review thoroughly, not too biased at all and as I said, nice to hear appreciation for one of the best (and under appreciated) vocalists out there!
Wow, thank you! He's my favorite artist, so I didn't want this review to come off as too "fanboy-ish," but I tried my best to make as unbiased as possible, but still talking about why I enjoyed it. Now that FOB are back, I wonder if people are going to check out his solo material again, honestly. Anyway, this record really took me a few listens to really "get" it, but once I did, I got into it hard. This record is great, and I think it's quite ahead of its time, because it got ignored by most people, sadly. The biggest thing I like about is that it's NOT Fall Out Boy; I don't want it to be, and neither did Patrick. He wanted to be in his own skin, and I think this is the perfect progression from where FOB's last record left off, too. He's certainly under appreciated, and I wish this record would've gotten the proper recognition it deserved, but thank you!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos