AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
09:01 PM on 01/30/13
harveyn590
User Info.
mp3 is always better, but sometimes bands just like to improv jam during ending of songs which is always amazing. this has been a debate since the beginning of time.
wait ALWAYS better? Really?
09:11 PM on 01/30/13
harveyn590
User Info.
I really hate live albums...they're so grating. If I wanted to hear live sound I'd go to a show. Otherwise, I'll just stick to recorded versions. I'll definitely watch this later.
I could see where you are coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. I think with the right performance, recording, and artists, the results can be amazing.

I love the raw Live at Leeds (deluxe version) just as much as the polished Tommy. I think Live Europe 72 and Live/Dead are my favorite recordings of the Dead. Hell I don't listen to the dead's records!

And Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963?! That album is pure fire!!!

Not to mention The Mark Tom & Travis Show (blink) & Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album (Reel Big Fish). While both feature many, many overdubs, I think they are both my favorite records in each bands catalogs. And Scab Dates (The Mars Volta) and Live from Bonnaroo (Rx Bandits) both cemented each of those bands as some of my all time favorites. But hey to each his own!
09:43 PM on 01/31/13
harveyn590
User Info.
Among my many issues with it, for one, I just don't like to hear the clamor in the background. "Woooo! Ahhh *clapclapclap* Hahahah" etc it's like ok, haha. I don't need to hear it! Also, when they crack jokes or are making a profound statement, you feel you missed something - the facial expression, the context that could've not been picked up entirely, the ambience, and more...just doesn't do it for me, you know?
sure but for me an missed joke or crowd noise is a small price to pay to hear for what me, are my favorite performances.

I mean, which Sam Cooke album is better than Live at Harlem Square? Or James Brown's Live at the Apollo? I feel like on those albums you are getting pure passion.

I think it might depend on the artist too. For some artists I agree, the live Fall Out Boy album sounds like a live album you are describing. But Pink Floyd 'Live at Pompeii' and 'Last Waltz', while both have video companent are just great (for me at least).

My outlook is that an album, while being the definitive recording and version of a song, is still only one version of the song. I love hearing the differences in performance, parts elongated, passion, energy from an audience, and most of all improvisation.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos