AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 31
08:11 PM on 01/30/13
harveyn590
User Info.
I really hate live albums...they're so grating. If I wanted to hear live sound I'd go to a show. Otherwise, I'll just stick to recorded versions. I'll definitely watch this later.
I could see where you are coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. I think with the right performance, recording, and artists, the results can be amazing.

I love the raw Live at Leeds (deluxe version) just as much as the polished Tommy. I think Live Europe 72 and Live/Dead are my favorite recordings of the Dead. Hell I don't listen to the dead's records!

And Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963?! That album is pure fire!!!

Not to mention The Mark Tom & Travis Show (blink) & Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album (Reel Big Fish). While both feature many, many overdubs, I think they are both my favorite records in each bands catalogs. And Scab Dates (The Mars Volta) and Live from Bonnaroo (Rx Bandits) both cemented each of those bands as some of my all time favorites. But hey to each his own!
08:31 PM on 01/30/13
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
I don't see how this is a comparison since they are really two different categories entirely.

Live album vs. studio album.

MP3 vs. Vinyl.

10:04 PM on 01/30/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
Just wanted to say that I love that channel on Youtube
10:36 PM on 01/30/13
Clockwise
Running on Fruit Snacks
User Info.
There are some really great live albums...

I generally prefer studio albums to live albums, but obviously nothing beats actually being at the live show.
04:04 AM on 01/31/13
spaghettti
spo0ky
User Info.
There are some really great live albums...

I generally prefer studio albums to live albums, but obviously nothing beats actually being at the live show.
Yeah, this
04:45 AM on 01/31/13
15 Step
User Info.
I could see where you are coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. I think with the right performance, recording, and artists, the results can be amazing.

I love the raw Live at Leeds (deluxe version) just as much as the polished Tommy. I think Live Europe 72 and Live/Dead are my favorite recordings of the Dead. Hell I don't listen to the dead's records!

And Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963?! That album is pure fire!!!

Not to mention The Mark Tom & Travis Show (blink) & Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album (Reel Big Fish). While both feature many, many overdubs, I think they are both my favorite records in each bands catalogs. And Scab Dates (The Mars Volta) and Live from Bonnaroo (Rx Bandits) both cemented each of those bands as some of my all time favorites. But hey to each his own!
this guy wins. rx bandits' bonnaroo and rbf's our live album are my two favorite live albums, next to the recent radiohead bonnaroo '06 that's been floating around. and grateful dead's live albums are way better and more memorable than their studio albums
04:45 AM on 01/31/13
Jerold Sunga
User Info.
I guess if it's just hear the music, then it'd be the recorded one. But of course, nothing beats the experience you get from hearing the band live. You know, if they are any good live.
05:04 AM on 01/31/13
mattiefoshoo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
right? not at all. mp3 is some compressed, lower quality recording. yeah studio recordings have all these bells and whistles on them to make them sound pretty but can they actually play all those parts live? Listening to a live song or seeing a band live is a totally different ballpark. There's a sense of connection and raw talent in a live performance. Or just listen to a vinyl record, not a mp3, thats just an injustice to your ears.
05:29 AM on 01/31/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
I like going to shows where the music is all playback and listening exclusively to live albums at home.
06:32 AM on 01/31/13
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
User Info.
These are so true.

I'll add my bit too. I think that sometimes when you go to a live performance you may learn to appreciate songs you never particularly liked before just listening to on the studio recording.

Also depending on what type of person you are, you are going to judge whether they can actually create the atmosphere of the original recording live, and if not how they adapt it to work in a live environment.

So it all comes back to Clunky's point of the context in which you experience both live and recordings in, as altogether they are completely different.

Has happened to me numerous times, most notably with Down by Blink 182. Never really appreciated it until I was singing along with 10,000 more fans.
07:48 AM on 01/31/13
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
As an overall experience I prefer going to concerts. As a listening experience I prefer studio recordings.

/topic
08:45 AM on 01/31/13
frontporches
i shotgunned a beer and went to bed
User Info.
i was actually thinking about this the other day as i pondered whether or not i should go to a certain show this weekend...

i think that personally, neither is better than the other because listening to music and witnessing live music are two different experiences that each have its own perks.
10:35 AM on 01/31/13
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
Has happened to me numerous times, most notably with Down by Blink 182. Never really appreciated it until I was singing along with 10,000 more fans.

It's happened to me a few times, most recently was We Are The Sound by Alexisonfire. Saw them at the second date in Brixton and never really like the track until they played it then. In fact I never really liked the majority of Crisis until I had seen them play material off of it. Since then I have come to appreciate what they were trying to achieve from that album.
11:11 AM on 01/31/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.

Among my many issues with it, for one, I just don't like to hear the clamor in the background. "Woooo! Ahhh *clapclapclap* Hahahah" etc it's like ok, haha. I don't need to hear it! Also, when they crack jokes or are making a profound statement, you feel you missed something - the facial expression, the context that could've not been picked up entirely, the ambience, and more...just doesn't do it for me, you know?
03:07 PM on 01/31/13
Tele72
User Info.
Since the thread turned into a Live album discussion I'll make this point; A great artist has the ability to make the songs they recorded a completely different experience live. Take the live "acoustic" album Taking Back Sunday did and when they played Everything Must Go. The entire track is jaw dropped...up until the audience begins clapping off time. On the opposite end of that, Take the live recordings of Thrice's Deadbolt. The section they added on at the end is one of the most powerful things to hear, but never got proper studio treatment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos