AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Judy Kang - 1.31.13

Interviewed by
Judy Kang - 1.31.13I recently spoke Judy Kang about her upcoming debut self titled album, touring with Lady GaGa and her plans for the year. Kang was the violinist hand picked for Lady Gaga's MonsterBall tour and is also an extremely successful classical musician. Her debut album shall be released on March 5, 2013 during a live show in 'Pianos', NYC.

What are you up to at the moment?

I am preparing for my upcoming CD release show in NYC, March 5 at possibly my old time fav hangout spot 'Pianos'! As well as starting up a new performance project, writing more music, planning recording projects, teaching, playing concerts with orchestras, chamber music, and recitals!

How was 2012 for you?

It was a good year. Lots of discovery and growth.

When did you start playing violin in the first place?

I was 4 years old.

Why did you decide to make the transition from classical music to pop music?

People often ask me that question. Pop music had always been a part of my childhood, upbringing, as well as my musical life. I was exposed to it for better or worse. It was always playing in my cousins' house or when they were over. I was always up to date on pop culture. So, naturally, I was influenced by it to a certain extent and it was like second nature in a lot of ways when I got picked to be Gaga's violinist. To this day, I don't necessarily see it as a transition, but part of a bigger picture.

What was touring with Lady GaGa like?

It was great.

Why did you decide to take such a left turn with your upcoming self titled album?

I've been wanting to express something personal for a very long time through recording an album of original songs. I was always a bit shy since I was a child, but always had this other side to me. But, I went through many phases of being afraid to show that side. And even now, I'm not that far from feeling that way. I guess being in the classical world, I wasn't bold enough to break out in that sense, as well. I always felt a bit out of place in school and such. I was a quiet rebel, maybe haha.
I came to realize that I wanted to be more in control of creativity and the timing just felt right to do a record that took a left turn in many ways but has inspired me to take an even sharper turn for the next album...

What can fans expect from the record?

Expect something that is genuinely me.

Do you think touring alongside the likes of Lady GaGa had an effect on your own material?

2 years on the road with haus of GaGa would definitely effect the outcome of what's produced.

Do you plan on touring the album?

I would really love to! I have a vision of the performance and it's pretty epic if I say so haha...

What music do you listen to in your own time?

Anything and everything. Not kidding.

What's your plans for the rest of the year?

Keep on writing, recording, collaborating, touring, maturing (hopefully), and taking more left turns without apology.

Anything else to say?

Feeling pretty grateful that I've experienced all that I have in life from the hardships to the happiness and everything in between. It's ok to be a nerd.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
07:00 AM on 01/31/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
It's nice to see different kind of musicians covered on AP , but this interview was a bit lacking
08:54 AM on 01/31/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
Doesn't seem like she even wanted to be interviewed.

Her single "You" isn't bad, though it does sound rather trite.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos