Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 56
11:08 AM on 02/01/13
szilvi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like the rainy feel and the silhouette of the man and the woman and the umbrella... It also looks nothing like an ordinary gig poster. I love the colors and the way how it would fit my existing El Jefe poster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	posters_Gaslight_Asbury1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	66841  
11:08 AM on 02/01/13
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.

I love the way that The Gaslight Anthem are able to evoke the experience of freedom and hope through the experience of driving a car. I grew up with my folks often taking my sister and I on road trips and I learned to love the journey as much as the actual destination. The road was a place of simplicity, where your mind could take in the landscape and be free to wonder and hope about the future with no limitations. As I got older, every time I got in my car my drives became miniature versions of the trips I used to take with my folks growing up. It was my place of solitude, where I could turn on my music, and watch my insecurities vanish and my hopes thrive without the presence of my worldly skepticism. To me that's what The Gaslight Anthem is about: persevering in your song of hope, even when the world tells you you're running out of time. The poster then signifies something special to me: the moment when two people find their individual songs synchronizing and they share a brief moment of harmony.
11:09 AM on 02/01/13
letsgoflyers
User Info.

This poster was an obvious choice for me. I spent many summers growing up as a teenager in Delaware, traveling up to Asbury Park for Skate and Surf Festivals/Bamboozle. Although this poster conveys love between a man and woman, under an overpass with their American muscle cars parked behind them, I view this more as a metaphor that captures the feeling I had traveling to Asbury every summer. I fell in love with acts such as The Early November, watching Joe, Sergio, Jeff and Ace pouring their hearts into their music. The Movielife, Midtown, and Saves The Day were the staples that held me together as a young kid quickly falling in love with their high energy, brand of music that I connected to better than actual relationships I had myself. I would find myself escaping and being taken away by the 3 minute audio bliss that overtook me.

I remember one particular show on December 31, 2007 when I drove my trusty 92' Honda up to the Starland Ballroom to see one band specifically, Circa Survive. There was an opening band that night on the bill that absolutely stole my attention and never let go; The Gaslight Anthem. They have had a grip on my life ever since that New Years Eve. Fast forward to May 20, 2012 when I drove my much more reliable 2012 Toyota Corolla to Asbury Park for Bamboozle; more specifically Brand New and The Gaslight Anthem. The euphoria that comes over me whenever I experience Gaslight Anthem is something that could even make my girlfriend jealous.

This poster for me not only expresses the romanticism that every hopeless lover endlessly chases, but on a more personal level, the feeling that no matter what is going on in my life I feel completely at peace when I travel to Asbury Park to see some of idols perform the soundtrack to my life.
11:14 AM on 02/01/13
Michael_ben
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is definitely my favourite poster. First of all, it captures especially well what the Gaslight Anthem mean to me, and how I would go about representing them if I had to describe them with an image: a cold coloured picture of a romance that endures in a setting that is no more. Second, buying it gave me a chance to feel like I contributed a little to the reconstruction of the West Coast after the devastation caused by Sandy. As an American who lives abroad seeing the pictures of wrecked cities hurt, and this poster gave me a chance to feel somewhat helpful despite the distance.
11:16 AM on 02/01/13
CarlosLJr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

This is the first print I purchased from El Jefe. It is an amazing print, even more incredible in person. I bought it as a gift for my girlfriend. The poster depicts the Queen of the Bronx as in Gaslight's Bring it on. Its our song. She has blue eyes of spitfire. She has the diamond tattooed on her chest along with the words "No retreat, no regret.". She is the girl in the poster to me.
11:17 AM on 02/01/13
speedygonz
never enuff
User Info.

I love the use of different typefaces on this poster, but more importantly, how they all compliment each rather than out shine one or the other. I'm not a big fan of orange, but he manages to use it to set the background and the overall tone of the scene that I can't help but love it. His use of that blue that has a grey tone to it also helps set the mood and feel of the characters. The erosion effect on the the edges also adds just that extra touch.
Overall, El Jefe does brilliant design, and his use of typography is to die for haha.
11:19 AM on 02/01/13
TheMc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

While it would be easy for me to go with one of the many Gaslight Anthem El Jefe posters that I own, it really comes down to Hot Water Music for me and this poster. HWM has had one of the biggest impacts on my life and I was absolutely devastated when they decided to go on hiatus in 2005. To me this poster and design represents the return of one of the most influential bands around. It's the perfect blend of color and the design perfectly reflects the signal that HWM had returned. It's not as elaborate as some of El Jefe's work but the simplicity is beautiful making it easily my favorite poster in my collection.
11:20 AM on 02/01/13
Giasonas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

In the majority of his work, El Jefe manages to convey the most complicated of feelings with the simplest of means. The "45" single artwork is a prime example of this, and me personal favourite out of his extensive portfolio.

The way too familiar "break-up" theme is wonderfully represented through the use of shattered vinyl, somehow managing to incorporate the importance of music and the kind of emotional support it can offer in such heart-breaking situations.

Keep up the good work Jeff!
11:21 AM on 02/01/13
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
Bikes have been a long standing part of bouncing souls imagery.

11:26 AM on 02/01/13
59tholdhaunt
User Info.

I actually own that wonderful "Old Haunts" poster and I dearly love all of El Jefe's work, but this poster has a special place in my heart. "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," is one of my very favorite films and has been since I was very young (along with the other Universal Classic Monsters). This combined with Gaslight being my favorite band caused many giddy cries and yells the morning I discovered this series, and especially this poster. I love the colors, the style, the composition, everything; it's just perfect!
11:28 AM on 02/01/13
plasticflavored
User Info.

El Jefe has been one of my favorite artists for years. I came across him awhile ago while trying to locate Gaslight Anthem merch and found this poster...I fell in love with it right away. Not a month after I discovered it, I went to my tattoo parlor and decided that I wanted this on my arm forever. Everything about this art is so clean-cut, just like all of his work. I've spent hours upon hours looking over all of his artwork because of how much I'm in awe of it. It would mean the world to me to have these posters put in frames in my apartment.
11:29 AM on 02/01/13
Procreated
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Name:	EL JEFE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	66861

This poster is my beyond all favourite, as it evokes the entire feeling of The 59 Sound. Lone drives down highways and background,
the love of a man trying to be a casanova, who finally got the lady he wants.

If this poster doesn't say The Gaslight Anthem, I don't know what does.
11:30 AM on 02/01/13
jukeboxjulietc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is my current favorite El Jefe Print, mostly because it is one of the few that I want and do not. I have the full size Queen of Lower Chelsea print hanging in my kitchen and it is my absolute favorite of all my many, many prints. Partially because my name is Chelsea, and who doesn't love their favorite artists signing/designing something around your namesake. ( I sure do!) My love for Gaslight Anthem stretches back quiet a few years and through my love for them I've become...slightly obsessed with El Jefe prints. His work covers the walls in my house, my iPhone ( the Dia de Los Muertas cover, we've got the same chest tattoo,) his freebie with purchase stickers line the window of my brand spankin' new car. I would LOVE to have an excuse to sneak some of his incredible work into my office ( and a calendar is the perfect excuse!) It amazes me how El Jefe can perfectly capture all the feeling and meanings each song/band emanates in each print that he does. His work is astounding and warms my sharp little heart every time I walk past one. Thanks for the opportunity! ( Now back to work I must go, to my boring, art free office!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calender.i.want..jpg
Views:	16
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	66851  
12:14 PM on 02/01/13
aneasybakeoven
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
To pick my favorite El Jefe design is like telling a mother to pick her favorite child, it's nearly impossible. All of his designs are absolutely breath taking, and I would love to own one.

The design that I ended up choosing is one of my favorites not only because of it's absolutely beautiful simplicity, but because three years ago , I was heading off to see my all time favorite band, The Gaslight Anthem at the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair. I was beyond excited, considering this was the first real time seeing them play a somewhat big venue. Out of pure luck, I happened to meet one of the greatest people in my life, Ethan, in the crowd during their set. Without TGA, I would have never met the most amazing friend any one could ever ask for. So, Id like to thank them for giving me the chance to meet someone who has saved my life countless times and has kept my head on straight when no one else can.

I found out about the show because of this very poster, it was posted in a local coffee shop that I went to all the time, and every time I see this design, I can't help but think back to that very night and remember how amazing it was. The colors, the mood, the illustrations, everything about this poster is simply phenomenal. To own it would make me one happy gal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	il_570xN.109649352.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	66871  
12:17 PM on 02/01/13
endlesslights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just love this poster. It truly is an amazing gig poster and its something I've never seen before. Instead of having the name of the band in big type on the poster he puts The Gaslight Anthem's name reversed on a window which is beautifully done because the typography still reads perfectly. This also also the viewer to really see the beautiful illustration done on this piece. This poster was so amazingly crafted with the weight of the stroke bringing out the features of the poster and the amazing detail put into it. I've never seen an illustration of rain so greatly done, and this piece truly pulls it off to make us know its rain. There's also the fact that they used the anchor heart that they made for The Gaslight Anthem as the woman's tattoo that is creatively done because it adds some spunk to the piece knowing that they can add some of their other Gaslight designs to their other posters. I also love how instead of having the place and time of the concert so obviously on the poster that they added it to the illustration so once again like with the band's name they incorporated it into it. This makes the poster flow and not have any distractions which I can truly appreciated as am inspiring college Graphic Designer myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	il_570xN.359632764_tpkd.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	66881  

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles