Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 56
01:23 PM on 02/01/13
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
I really like this one because I feel like this scenario could easily be a Gaslight Anthem song. A down-to-earth but somewhat edgy girl just washing her clothes while she finds an invitation to something, in this case a show, from an admirer. It really gives off that Americana feeling that TGA has in a lot of their songs. The colors also contrast greatly with the scene, giving off a late afternoon feeling, like the sun is shining just on this little laundromat and the object of the admirer's affection through the pouring rain. It makes her seem almost supernatural, like she commands the sun for this guy. That's what I get out of it, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_570xN.359632764_tpkd.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	66891  
01:26 PM on 02/01/13
BillAftermath
User Info.

I like this poster the best. I actually own two copies of it (without the writing on there) in two different sizes. it is lovers on the edge, in more ways than one. I love the innocent look of two lovers who are so entangled in each other that they fail to realize the danger that is hardly inches away.
01:28 PM on 02/01/13
fireyred77
User Info.

El Jefe designs has always found a way to make some sort of everyday angle look more unique than some of the most abstract pieces of art. This Avalanche United poster is a perfect example of his work. The depth of this print cannot be summed into words for the perfect tilt and directionality allows us to look deeper, past the cans, past the newspaper stands, and even past the lonely silhouette in the middle of the street. I've had friends who have never even heard of IATA (Blasphemy, I know) who absolutely love this print. It's my personal favorite print that I own, and there isn't anything on it I would change. The collaboration of the different shades of blue to depict the shadows, the grainy specks of white and color along the black gravel, and the hollow emptiness of the person in the distance paint a scene that is absolutely breath taking. There is a longing in this print, a wholesome feeling of working class loneliness, and an overwhelming rush of being alone in a big, dirty city, much like what Avalanche United depicts. With this print it isn't what you see or don't see in the art, it is what you feel.
01:30 PM on 02/01/13
Amanda941
User Info.

This is my favorite Gaslight Anthem poster. I want to recreate it for engagement pictures someday. I think it perfectly displays the relationships Brian talks about in a lot of his songs. El Jefe always does consistent work across the board. I can spot a Gaslight poster and immediately know if it is an El Jefe design because he has a specific unique quality to his posters and it sets the bar high for other designers. This one is a classic!
01:42 PM on 02/01/13
tuckere09
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love all of El Jefe's posters, however this one has to be my favorite of all my favorites. I find this poster really inspiring for my own work, and it doesn't hurt that I love the Gaslight Anthem. I think that the required information (time, place, band etc.) is placed really strategically in the bookshelves to enhance the design, but also get the required information across. The illustration is great also-- I love the color scheme, it gives the poster a vintage feel. I find it clever how he incorporated all of the band's logos and symbols from the previous items done for them in the tattoos. I appreciated as well the sketches of this poster on his blog, it shows the process and how much hard work has gone into designing this fantastic poster!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	418518_10150982401716638_1548689599_n.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	66901  
01:43 PM on 02/01/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.

I spent some time going through all of his works and this one stood out the most to me. M Ward will always hold a spot in my heart. Waaaay back in 2008, I got to see She & Him with my best friend in the world. I had never really listened to them before he bought the tickets but I spent the few months immersing myself in their music. Ward's guitar work always made its way into my brain and I could always hear his music in my head. Since then I've just been in love with everything he's produced -- solo and otherwise. But on a design level, I just love how this poster looks. The colors are a nice mixture of pink/green and the pastel tones are different than what I usually see out there. I just think it's really cute and the fact that it's M Ward brings back some amazing memories for me.
02:05 PM on 02/01/13
mtbutta
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

It's 2009, going to my Gaslight show and I make the mistake of not buying the El Jefe poster BEFORE the show and it sells out. Fast forward to last November and I'm off to my third Gaslight show with the full intent of buying a poster right off the bat. I'm ready to see the tattooed ladies and fast cars in tri-color. And then I see a fucking bad-ass dragon staring at me. El Jefe has captured the romantic, star-crossed lyrics of TGA in print many times before but this was the first time, I feel, that their more fast-paced and aggressive musical moments are highlighted. This was the total opposite of what I was expecting and it was completely refreshing.
02:34 PM on 02/01/13
jonx21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This one is one of my favorites. A great interpretation of the love of vinyl...
03:02 PM on 02/01/13
Hanswurst
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am really in love with all of these "love-posters"
But my favorite has always been this one:

It sums up what Gaslight Anthem is all about for me: A pretty girl, a night in town, and ten incredible songs :D And the design of this piece of art is simply amazing
03:36 PM on 02/01/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.

This is my favourite El Jefe poster because 2 Chainz.
03:44 PM on 02/01/13
Garrett Holmes
Showbread / Garrett
User Info.

Mickey Explosion and Latitude/Longitude Tour Dates
05:07 PM on 02/01/13
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.

I adore this print. I love the colors in the sky but even more I love the little details on this and how it relates to the music video for Handwritten. The guy playing the guitar in his garage. The classic cars. And that "Every Word Handwritten" just jumps off of the print. The song was one of my favorites on the newest album this print just nails the vibe the song has IMHO.
05:27 PM on 02/01/13
jqj213
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I love this poster just due to the vibe it gives off. Gaslight Anthem just has that bad-ass sort of vibe that many new bands just don't have. Their songs just give you a connection that you can't get from these other groups. This poster alone just shows this girl, Mae, with that relaxed and cool vibe that the song itself gives off. They are one of my favorite bands because I can easily connect with the lyrics and pick up the lyrics easily. I love in this poster how it looks like it was torn from a notebook.
Picking just one favorite isn't an easy task. But this poster just summarizes the band so well.
06:37 PM on 02/01/13
NoScene NoHerd
User Info.

This print definitely nails the vibe for The Gaslight Anthem. It's bleeding with nostalgia, and the dark blues go really well with the subject.

The image is my favorite because both people depicted in it are alone. They live in the same house, but one of them would rather play a guitar to an empty street than stay inside. As a musician myself, I often worry that I'm spending too much time with my art, instead of seeing the people that care about me, and I see a lot of myself in this. All too often, I get caught up in the romanticism of writing, and I forget that there are people who deserve just as much (if not more) of my love and attention.
10:10 PM on 02/01/13
rschweng
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Albi is definately my favourite poster in my El Jefe collection. As much as I love the Gaslight posters, and their nostalgic, sentimental feel, I find that Albi brings a great humour, light-heartedness and splash of vivid colour onto my thunder gray walls! Who wouldn't wanna live in a place with pink skies, and a not-racist-anymore dragon?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos