Password

Album Review

Snowsera - Snowsera EP Album Cover

Snowsera - Snowsera EP

Reviewed by
Snowsera - Snowsera EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 8, 2007
While dropping off my younger cousin at his house recently, he remarked that the music I had playing in my car was depressing. I don’t think the acoustic melodies I had been spinning sounded depressing, but I do agree there wasn’t much upbeat pop to them. If he heard me listening to Snowsera’s self-titled EP the next time he stepped into my car, he’d probably peg me as bipolar. Snowsera are a four piece band out of Chicago, IL, and it’s difficult for me to imagine someone listening to their self-titled EP in a dark room during a bout of depression. The bright pink and yellow colors on the cover of the EP are suggestive of the spirited pop punk found within. The steady buildup of drums and springy guitar introduce “Twenty Four,” the tone setting starter track. Lead vocalist Bill Arteaga sings with a high pitched, somewhat distorted voice that I could see as a turnoff to some and a welcome change to others. The lyrics of “Twenty Four” reflect our society’s ease in accepting the messages spewed by our television sets, a theme touched upon in songs such as Saves the Day’s “Cars & Calories” and The Rx Bandits’ “Analog Boy.” Arteaga sings as one entranced as he’s lulled by the shining screen:

"Twenty-four, twenty-four hours a day
Find your mind on a story, you don't dare to say,
'Is it truth, or is it fiction?'
We all blindly share this addiction"

“Break This Beat” is another critical piece as Snowsera turn on their detractors with the challenging lyrics, “You sing it way better than me / So sing it, you sing it / You write it way better than me / You write it, just write it.” I can’t say who or what prompted this cynical response, but hearing the band with its claws out is one of the finer points of the EP. And here’s a nice surprise – most songs feature a light guitar solo. They don’t make a huge impact, but they do add to the overall catchiness of the songs.

One criticism I have concerning this release is the songs seem to run together a bit much. Though the topic may change from a lonely late night to the latest fashion trend, the sounds of each song sometime lacks distinction. Also, at an average length of just over four minutes, the songs could stand to be cut down (shorter and sweeter) to avoid unnecessary repetition.

According to Snowsera’s myspace page, the band takes “great pride in the fact that [they] are responsible for everything that you see and hear.” Not only did they write the music, they recorded and produced the EP themselves. Hell, they even designed the artwork. Snowsera are truly their own bosses, and from what I hear, their hometown fanbase wouldn’t mind sharing them with the rest of the world.

Recommended if You LikeCartel, hellogoodbye, New Found Glory, Paramore, DIY pop punk with piercing vocals

myspace.com/snowsera
This review is a user submitted review from Adrian Villagomez. You can see all of Adrian Villagomez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
06:56 AM on 03/12/08
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
nice review adrian. I checked them out, really liked the vocalist a lot.
08:09 AM on 03/12/08
dustyfloors
Baskiceball Champion
User Info.
Good review.
I really do dig this band. Maybe a little hometown bias, but I absolutely love these guys!
08:47 AM on 03/12/08
speakhandsforme
Rob the poor to feed the rich
User Info.
I dig the review.
Not so much the band, though.
09:24 AM on 03/12/08
elude2oneself
interloper
User Info.
not so crazy about the band, just not really the kind of music i'd listen to for a long period of time or share with a friend.... but they're obviously enjoying themselves and thats all that matters, right?

good review though.
11:37 AM on 03/12/08
BulleTheory
User Info.
reminds me of The Hives or Jet...not a fan so much.
12:11 PM on 03/12/08
Holly HoX!
User Info.
good review, but from what read i wasn't expecting what i heard...These dudes are so-so. The rating explains it all.

Adrian, have you ever listened to PMtoday?
12:51 PM on 03/12/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
The user-review editor becomes the reviewer himself.
01:02 PM on 03/12/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out.
01:15 PM on 03/12/08
AndrewRocksSox
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thats so odd. I remember listening to the first time winter 06 when they had like 100 fans at most. Theyve really been top notch since the start, and getting better.
03:38 PM on 03/12/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
good review, but from what read i wasn't expecting what i heard...These dudes are so-so. The rating explains it all.

Adrian, have you ever listened to PMtoday?
Hm, I fell short with this one then.

PMtoday? Never heard of them.

The user-review editor becomes the reviewer himself.
Haha, I was a poor reviewer before I was an editor.
04:15 PM on 03/12/08
speakhandsforme
Rob the poor to feed the rich
User Info.
PMtoday? Never heard of them.

They're a notably good fast-paced progressive band from Arkansas I believe. I'd call them a combination of The Mars Volta, Boys Night Out, and The Fall of Troy with an Anthony Green type of voice heading the attack.
06:52 PM on 03/12/08
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
Cartel, hellogoodbye, New Found Glory, Paramore?

Sounds more brit-popish, I agree with the guy who said JET and the Hives.

Not really into it.
06:59 AM on 03/17/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
reminds me of The Hives or Jet...not a fan so much.
Cartel, hellogoodbye, New Found Glory, Paramore?

Sounds more brit-popish, I agree with the guy who said JET and the Hives.

Not really into it.
Jet, the Australia rock band? And the Hives?

Hm. Granted, I'm judging these bands by their singles, but I'm not really hearing it. Perhaps somewhat in the instrumentation and effects, but the vocals are what I had in mind when listing of the 'Recommended if You Like' bands. Would you two care to expand on the comparisons a bit? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos