AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Lights & Motion - 02.01.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (02/01/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Lights & Motion

http://www.deepelmdigital.com/album/reanimation
http://deepelm.com/lightsandmotion
http://www.facebook.com/lightsandmotion

1. How did you get your band name?

I heard Bono from U2 saying Light & Motion in an intro in one of their concerts and it really resonated with me and so I kept that name in the back of my head for a few years until I started this project.

2. How did this band get started?

I had left my old band because of different ambitions and I was suddenly on my own. Initially I just spent alot of nights in the studio because I couldnt really sleep so I started to write music and learn how to record and mix as I went along. I had a vision of what I wanted to create and I just had to find a way to get what I could hear in my head to come out of the speakers.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

That really depends on the day and what mood I am in but I have always loved Coldplay and their sense of melody and production. Sigur Rós and their frontman Jónsi is a big one when it comes to the ambient elements in my music. Lately I have been getting into M83 and that spacy huge sound that they have mastered so well. But at the end of the day I am inspired by melodies, I have always preferred that to sheer force or speed in music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

In a unrealistic perfect world where everything would be possible I would love to tour with Coldplay because they seem like such a cool gang and then I would get to play these massive arenas with loads of lights and larger then life stage-designs. That would be something.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Hmm. I guess that I would have to be a kangaroo. I just recently saw a documentary about the Australian wildlife and they seem like such goofy animals, always jumping around like crazy. I think I would like that.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I would usually say that it´s for others to decide. It´s always hard commenting on your own music without sounding overly modest or boastful but if I had to say something I guess it would be because it´s sincere and hopefully brings something new to the table.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

I would have to say "Aerials" because it probably features the most guitars. In order to get 5 stars you would just have to keep your cool, that shouldn't be a problem. The songs on the album are not built on very hard guitar-parts, but on melodic and harmonizing ones. It's alot of layering.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Then I would certainly thank my fans for sticking with me throughout this whole process, my friends and family who have supported me when I have been off working alone in the studio at Friday nights when they would rather have seen me hanging out with them. I would also thank my label for the close collaboration we have had during the making of this album.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

That would be a wish to really look over the "mainstream" music that is pumped out on all the avaliable channels, and see if that is really the best we can do. There is no real space for any sort of alternative music to be heard among the Rhiannas and the Nicki Minaj's that dominate radio and TV. There is alot of great music out there being made by struggling and talented musicians that get close to no credit for what they do. It's almost impossible to survive on your music nowadays if you are not a massive mainstream artist.

10. Memorable tour experience?

That would have to be when me and my old band played an arena in front of 10,000 people a few years back. It was an event for cinema in Scandinavia and we got to meet the cast from the Twilight movies. It was a crazy experience.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

To me it's a site with integrity and with a genuine love for music. There should be more of those sites.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

If we are talking about songs from the Lights & Motion album then I would have to say "The March" because it has such a dynamic range from very calm and tranquil in the first half, to the stormy and bombastic midsection. In general, whenever I pick up a guitar, the first thing that I usually play is the acoustic version of "Layla" by Eric Clapton, or the guitarline from "Talk" by Coldplay.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Anywhere warm. I traveled the world when I was 20 and I really enjoyed Australia.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Oh, I listened to alot of different stuff throughout those early years, but I would probobly have to say a combination of The Backstreet Boys (in my early years) and Swedish metal band In Flames. Some would say that it's a pretty weird combination. I guess I would to. But they are both awesome so why not be honest. It ain't even a guilty pleasure band for me. I genuinely think that Backstreet Boys have some great songs in their catalogue, even to this day.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would love to be able to fly. I know that is the answer of probably 99% of the population, but come on, who wouldn't want that? I would never touch the ground.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

I'm not sure what that even means these days. Have I got tons of airplay on the radio and a massive arena-tour coming up with some other big band? No. For me though, having made this record all by myself and released it to an audience that seems to genuinly appriciate it, that is amazing enough. I never would have dared to think that I would release a album, even less so through such an awesome label as Deep Elm. Amazing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Hmm.. I dont know. I guess it´s alot of things since I tend to keep the focus on the music and not on me as a person. I didn't start to play guitar until I was 16. Does that count?

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Midsummers Eve. It's a really warm part of the Swedish summer where it's light outside until 1 at night and you set up tables outside and eat a lot of food and drink alot of delicious stuff. Always a good time.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time? Besides working in order to bring in enough money to pay rent and then spending the rest of it in the studio writing and recording, I dont really have that much spare time. But I do like to go to the cinema and watch movies. I am a movie junkie for sure.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I am pretty good at walking on my hands and I can also name the original 150 Pokémon (not really anymore, but there was a time in my youth where that wouldnt have been a problem).

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
07:57 AM on 02/03/13
BraxtonE
User Info.
Fancy this band. Cheers.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music