Username
Password

10:04 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
perfectstranger
Long live ennui on me
Melbourne
Male
There's some stuff here to like. There is also some stuff that makes me see why many people don't like it. The comments about nobody liking this without the campaign/brand new connections are just flat out wrong though, and make me wonder if certain people around here have ever realized that sometimes people like stuff that they personally do not like themselves.
It's really the opposite...people wouldn't be hating on it as much without the campaign/brand new connections.
11:57 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
snackin like an asshole in the usa
Maryland
Male
It's really the opposite...people wouldn't be hating on it as much without the campaign/brand new connections.

Well I agree. But many are making the claim that this would have received no interest at all if it wasn't for the connections. People need to just take the music for what it is.
11:58 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
~
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
you have absolutely no idea if this is true or not.
12:01 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
Maryland
Male
you have absolutely no idea if this is true or not.

The people hating on it probably never would have heard it if it wasn't for the campaign, so I think it's safe to say that the hate wouldn't be there.
12:02 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
~
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
The people hating on it probably never would have heard it if it wasn't for the campaign, so I think it's safe to say that the hate wouldn't be there.
how would the people hating on it have never heard of it but the people who like it would have? they would have to market it somehow to get it to the ears of people, so no.
12:07 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
Maryland
Male
how would the people hating on it have never heard of it but the people who like it would have? they would have to market it somehow to get it to the ears of people, so no.

I didn't say that the people who like it would have heard it. It would probably been more like a Coasta situation with their slight connection to Brand New, if you can even call it that. Gradually, people would have been made aware that Brian was in a new band and would have checked it out that way, but in this scenario, the fanboys wouldn't have gotten all pissed because their lofty expectations wouldn't have been there. The campaign created a polarizing effect.
12:08 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
~
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
I didn't say that the people who like it would have heard it. It would probably been more like a Coasta situation with their slight connection to Brand New, if you can even call it that. Gradually, people would have been made aware that Brian was in a new band and would have checked it out that way, but in this scenario, the fanboys wouldn't have gotten all pissed because their lofty expectations wouldn't have been there. The campaign created a polarizing effect.
yeah, the people that hate this aren't fanboys that are let down. this is a fucking terrible album because the music is bad.
12:08 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Anyone want two tickets to their show at Mercury Loungue this Thursday?
12:12 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
Maryland
Male
yeah, the people that hate this aren't fanboys that are let down. this is a fucking terrible album because the music is bad.

some aren't. but a lot are. at the very least, the reaction would have been, "ok, this is bad, i'm going to turn it off now and listen to something else" instead of posting about it repeatedly for a month.
12:27 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
~
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
some aren't. but a lot are. at the very least, the reaction would have been, "ok, this is bad, i'm going to turn it off now and listen to something else" instead of posting about it repeatedly for a month.
i mean, the hate would still exist, which is what it seemed like the original point was...
12:29 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
KingJohn_654
You've Got Spiders
Mesa, AZ
Male - 22 Years Old
Love this jank. I've been listening to it a lot.
12:48 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
this is not good and does not deserve all the fandom simply because of the gimmick advertising

this
04:44 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
Toronto
Male - 25 Years Old
Definitely my favourite record I have heard this year thus far, and I'd be really surprised if it is not at least in my top 5 by the end of the year. I love My Bloody Valentine, and I have always enjoyed Silverstein, but I can't really give those records a chance right now as I just keep on switching back to this.

As for the negativity on here, what I don't understand is that people are complaining about the vocals, yet to me they are very similar to an early Robert Smith. The Cure are held in pretty high regard on Absolutepunk, so this makes me think that nobody has actually listened to the Cure, and only say they like them because Robert Smith's vocals on that one really good blink song. Also, the lyrics and vocals are clearly meant to be theatrical and I don't think people are picking up on it.

Back to the record, Bestial is one of the best album closer's I've heard in a couple of years, such a good song. The pre-chorus section after the lyrics "he better have his boots on" is phenomenal. This record is too good to get buried by its own hype. Hopefully in time the right ears get to hear this, as its definitely not a record that fits with most users of this website

Fall Out Boy got over 1000 hits today ... I think that says enough
06:23 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
dennk018
dennk018
Philadelphia
Male - 25 Years Old
The only song I really liked was Baby Shakes
06:34 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
Australia
Male
Musically, I really enjoy it so far. I think the part that lets me down the most is the fact that the lyrics don't seem to correlate with the whole Levi character that was the main focus of the viral marketing campaign.

Listen a little closer, the lyrics definitely allude to the story. The first two tracks seem to be the character getting caught (Piano Wire) and reflecting (Metal Bones "I'm not sure/I'm not sure/Why I am here" and the title alludes to being in jail) then it picks up with Baby Shakes where he falls in love with a stripper and from there decides the current way of life isn't really working (Black Death "I propose an ultimatum/Reestablish what creates us/And develop our own system/And define the law of reason with our will). I think Kin is the character realising that the stripper he's in love with doesn't agree with him (not sure on this one) and Slithering continues this "You claim to have a vision but it's mad mad mad"

Bestial is obviously when he begins to murder and that takes us back to Piano Wire Number 12 with him getting caught.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets