Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 24 of 24.
05:56 PM on 02/05/13
shwaz499
User Info.
yeah, that's my point, why would anyone accept an internship that wasn't paid
Because its hard as fuck to get a job and an internship can very often lead to a paid position. I started as an intern at an independent production company and as soon as the head guy caught wind at my skills as a video editor I started getting paid. Two years later I'm cutting a reality show. Pay your dues people and kill it. (with that said I've done work for the head honcho of Razor and Tie and he's a huge dick.)
06:03 PM on 02/05/13
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
Because its hard as fuck to get a job and an internship can very often lead to a paid position. I started as an intern at an independent production company and as soon as the head guy caught wind at my skills as a video editor I started getting paid. Two years later I'm cutting a reality show. Pay your dues people and kill it. (with that said I've done work for the head honcho of Razor and Tie and he's a huge dick.)
No. I hate this argument, because it guarantees nothing. "Pay your dues" and "kill it?" Please. You could be the best intern, doing mountains of extra work and the company still could not hire you. It is hard to get a job and internships look good on resumes (that's why I had a two year one, and it paid). No internship should not come without at least a stipend. I never accepted unpaid internships and no one should. It's disgraceful for a company to not invest in people that do as much work (sometimes more) than people on their payroll. And it's disrespectful.
06:09 PM on 02/05/13
shwaz499
User Info.
No. I hate this argument, because it guarantees nothing. "Pay your dues" and "kill it?" Please. You could be the best intern, doing mountains of extra work and the company still could not hire you. It is hard to get a job and internships look good on resumes (that's why I had a two year one, and it paid). No internship should not come without at least a stipend. I never accepted unpaid internships and no one should. It's disgraceful for a company to not invest in people that do as much work (sometimes more) than people on their payroll. And it's disrespectful.
Call it whatever you want but with the economy right now its become a staple of modern companies. If you can get a paid internship or job right off the bat that's great but there's many people who can't. To those people I would recommend to put themselves in a situation where they can show their work ethic and work hard. You may get disrespected and feel like you're getting taken advantage of and you WILL have to get people coffee but you're in a position where you can show people what you can do.
06:15 PM on 02/05/13
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
Call it whatever you want but with the economy right now its become a staple of modern companies. If you can get a paid internship or job right off the bat that's great but there's many people who can't. To those people I would recommend to put themselves in a situation where they can show their work ethic and work hard. You may get disrespected and feel like you're getting taken advantage of and you WILL have to get people coffee but you're in a position where you can show people what you can do.
But you are missing the point - you have grown acceptable to the fact that this is widespread practice. That's not a pathway to progress, I publicly speak out against any company or corporation that does not pay its interns. Only if other people can be bothered by this, the rights of the worker can be changed.
06:18 PM on 02/05/13
shwaz499
User Info.
But you are missing the point - you have grown acceptable to the fact that this is widespread practice. That's not a pathway to progress, I publicly speak out against any company or corporation that does not pay its interns. Only if other people can be bothered by this, the rights of the worker can be changed.
alright, man. you keep being a political hero then. i'm just giving people some practical advice.
06:26 PM on 02/05/13
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
alright, man. you keep being a political hero then. i'm just giving people some practical advice.
But people can think for themselves and realize they are being enslaved for no real promise of a job. I personally think it's a breach of the thirteenth amendment, because it is a form of unfree labor.
03:09 AM on 02/06/13
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He is just being practical though. Yeah, it's not cool, but it's the nature of the beast. You sure as hell wouldn't do an unpaid internship in an I.T industry role, but in the Music industry it just seems standard due to what I imagine to be smaller budgets. I definitely agree it's not fair, and it should be against the law, but whilst it is lawful it's part of the career ladder for that industry.
06:22 AM on 02/06/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
How about throw me 8 dollars an hour and no college credit only positions? I'd take it in a heartbeat.
You sound like someone I used to know. I wish they would, it would make me actually want to apply a lot more. They treat kids doing these things like they should kiss their feet sometimes and it thoroughly disgusts me.
06:24 AM on 02/06/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
If you're really looking to make money (which I don't blame you nor should anyone) you shouldn't be interested in working for the music industry right now in the first place. Take a ticket and wait until your dead, pretty much lol
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests