Password

Album Review

Crash The Party - Come Alive EP Album Cover

Crash The Party - Come Alive EP

Reviewed by
Crash The PartyCome Alive EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 15, 2013
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It wouldn’t be hard to write off Crash The Party’s Come Alive EP on first listen. And actually…you wouldn’t be wrong. It’s gimmicky power-pop with no real substance. However, there’s a likeable nature here that’s hard not to notice. The upbeat pop sound recollects that of Simple Plan in their prime, as well as early material from Cute Is What We Aim For, The Maine, or Boys Like Girls.

So, it’s pop. Nothing more. “Forget Your Fears” really couldn’t be any more gimmicky – it has the “whoa-whoas” and everything – but “Me, My Girlfriend, And You” and “Another Superman” pick up some slack. They’re catchy, comical, and get stuck in your head. With hooks like “Two’s company / Three is a dream come true” on the former and “When I wake up / Don’t wanna suit up / What’s a superhero to do” on the latter, these songs remind me what made Simple Plan so likeable growing up – young immaturity put to catchy music.

It’s not all jokes and fun though, as the band does actually showcase musicianship on the 5-minute closer, “No Exit.” A heavy bass line carries the bridge of the song as Reibeisen distantly repeats, “It’s not easy to tell you it’s over” before the drums slowly build the song back up. The post-chorus slow down that tepidly builds before the song cuts out entirely indicates that Crash The Party have a beginning sense of effective instrumentation.

Sure, Crash The Party may be everything you hate about pop music, but they do a fair job at it. Even after the acoustic “Aces,” “One Last Night” will probably get your foot tapping when the decorative guitar riff comes out of nowhere following the chorus – the bewildering inclusion is comical in a way that gets a nod of approval. Clearly, Crash The Party don’t take themselves too seriously, so don’t take them too seriously. If you’re just looking for some catchy pop music to play in the sun, pop this one in. If you’re looking for anything else, pass on by.

6/10

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:11 AM on 02/06/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
"It’s gimmicky power-pop with no real substance. However, there’s a likeable nature here that’s hard not to notice."

Awesome line...and very true a lot of the time. I love this kind of music not for its technical innovations, but for its catchiness and likeable appeal. Will check this out later.
07:23 AM on 07/17/13
justsurrendrfan
jsfan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great Album

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles