Username
Password

09:10 AM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm a teacher and like to play music in class. I recently added Boxcar Racer's instrumental to a playlist for my students and they loved it. Made me think, and I'd like to add some heavier instrumentals to the list. And yes, I know BCR isn't heavy. haha. But some stuff with good drumming, heavy guitars, etc. Help me out guys. Thanks!
01:11 PM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old

I'll link you to the whole album if this isn't too heavy for you.

Yeah this sounds good. Thanks gentlemen! As far as that Birds one, it has talking, and unfortunately talking will distract them and they tend to care more about what's being said than what they're working on. I forgot to mention I teach 5th graders. Lol.

I'm going to be student teaching this year, and I really want to incorporate music in my classroom for the future. How do you go about doing it?

Well, I always have it on when they're reading or working on an assignment, and during their tests. Sometimes when I'm lecturing I'll have it playing quiter in the background. I've even used it to make the points more dramatic. Since I've listened to the songs a million times, I like to use the Batman soundtracks, Inception, or Jurassic Park for that though. I almost use it like some inspirational speakers use the music. You know, increase my energy as the music picks up and level it off a little bit as it slows down (with the soundtrack songs).

I don't know if that makes any sense, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about. Haha
06:33 PM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
Thanks guys, these have been great. I have a lot of downloading to do. Haha,

And I use the soundtracks (Hans Zimmer ones and Jurassic Park/Star Wars mostly as my "Classical music"
12:14 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
I would be so pissed if I walked into like a classroom and fucking Boxcar Racer was playing holy shit.

lol boxcar racer instrumentals. that must be like 3 power chords played over and over.

Let's not forget it's 5th graders gentlemen. I never said I was playing anything super technical or advanced. It's just something my students like and I was hoping to lead them in a heavier/faster direction is all.

Thanks to those of you that left HELPFUL comments in this board
06:51 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
As a fellow teacher (of a similar age group), I don't know how well "heavy" music would go over. I always have music playing while my students are working independently or in groups, but it's always decidedly in the background (mostly soundtracks and ambient post-rock). "Heavier" music would, I fear, cause them to lose concentration. Maybe it varies with the subject, though (I teach math, but I could see it working during, say, a writing session).

That said, Russian Circles needs more love.

What's this ambient post rock you speak of? I do mostly soundtracks now, and I snuck the BCR in (during our quarterly writing assessment oddly enough), and they enjoyed it, which made me curious about other heavier instrumentals. Not necessarily double bass and shredding and breakdowns, but something more beefy than Batman, Jurassic Park and Inception. Haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets