Password

Album Review

Nada Surf - Lucky Album Cover

Nada Surf - Lucky

Reviewed by
Nada Surf - Lucky
Record Label: Barsuk Records
Release Date: February 5th, 2008
First and foremost, it should be known that I was a moderate Nada Surf fan prior to this album. I could recognize “Popular” from the music video and radio play from my grade school days. I picked up Let Go freshman year of college and fell in love. I feel that the title of Nada Surf’s latest effort embodies the band's fan-base which is “lucky” enough to have such a small, well-stashed gem in the world of music and bullshit. However, fans, it’s a bittersweet day for us all. Either our beloved boys are set for indie-stardom and our secret is out, or they’ve created yet another phenomenal piece and we’ve cheated the system for one more glorious day.

From the first track, one can really appreciate the meticulous effort and arrangement that is taking place. Every instrument, all the way down to the carefully orchestrated bass lines and swells of violins, demonstrates the band's choice in making it the opener.

On “Whose Authority,” Nada Surf front man Matthew Caws vocal harmonies take tips from Brian Wilson while holding onto the unique style his listeners have only grown fonder of.

Tracks like “Beautiful Beat,” “Here Goes Something,” and “Weightless” showcase the group's ability to craft simple, yet elegant harmonies with a lush assembly of instruments and effects, such as xylophones, piano, octave-modified vocals and many others. Fans will rejoice with a re-vamped, more up-tempo version of the previously unreleased “I Like What You Say.”

Perhaps their most mature and darkest track to date, “The Fox” opens with a low, flanging guitar and continues to create an equal balance between a seemingly negative and positive clash of themes, while chilling vocal harmonies provide a poignant commentary.

The album wraps with the beautiful, slow track titled “The Film Did Not Go Round” in which lyrics are most likely alluding to the fleeting love that people feel at one point or another in their lifeline. Caws swoons,

Everyone's gotta leave their love sometime
If not now, then at the end of your life-time
You'll be waiting by my bed I know
You'll be waiting by my bed I know
And your last little words will be I love you so
The shutter clicked, but the film did not go 'round
The shutter clicked, but the film did not go 'round
I touch these strings, but cannot touch the sound

All in all, Lucky proves to be the group's most mature and differentiated collection of songs to date. Those expecting “Let Go, Volume II” will come to the bittersweet realization that Nada Surf have now turned a new, more distinguishable leaf in their career. These tracks radiate on a creative pedestal all their own
This review is a user submitted review from Jonathan Lally. You can see all of Jonathan Lally's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
12:06 AM on 03/14/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Sweet review dude! You make this album seem very tantalising to the ears! Always was a fan of Let Go and I'll definately be getting my hands on this number.
12:25 AM on 03/14/08
Casey's Dad
Friend to the working man
User Info.
I liked this album immediately, and it's still on my rotation. Are You Lightning is a beautiful song. Nice review.
01:02 AM on 03/14/08
mutualaddiction
How am I not myself?
User Info.
Finally! I've been waiting for this review for a while now. And now I definitely need to pick up this album.
03:55 AM on 03/14/08
sylvavio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Mmh... Well.
The prior album to LET GO which is THE PROXIMITY EFFECT is far much better.
But unfortunately due to labels and record deal issues it's mostly not findable now.

I'm a big fan of what NADA SURF was at the time. And LUCKY, as for LET GO and THE WEIGHT IS A GIFT doesn't make the grade in comparison to the 2 first albums (HIGH/LOW and THE PROXIMITY EFFECT).

Sorry for my bad english... I'm French.
09:36 AM on 03/14/08
DanEmo
it ain't me, babe
User Info.
these guys are amazing, so is this album...nice review too!
08:17 AM on 03/15/08
IndieUprising
true indie rock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album. I was suprised with how much I liked it. I've never been much of a Nada Surf fan. Good job fellas!
08:54 AM on 03/15/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Subpar album is subpar.
09:13 AM on 03/15/08
MADSTA
~
User Info.
Sweet review, dude. I love this record.
09:58 AM on 03/15/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Album was a pretty big disappointment for me...
10:54 AM on 03/15/08
shaysexpanther
User Info.
Album was a pretty big disappointment for me...

ditto.
11:04 AM on 03/15/08
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
User Info.
used to not like it, but it recently clicked with me. its awesome
11:47 AM on 03/15/08
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great great album
12:00 PM on 03/15/08
romanceisdead
User Info.
Good review, the album was pretty good but I liked the older stuff a lot more.
12:41 PM on 03/15/08
Rock
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!
User Info.
I think I might check this album out. I like "See These Bones," and I'm really starting to like their sound in general.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos