AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

UndertheGunReview News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

UTG Presents: Death to Vinyl Flippers

Posted by - 11:59 AM on 02/07/13
Under The Gun a new "Complaint Department" column up today titled "Death to Vinyl Flippers." Check it out here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
12:04 PM on 02/07/13
tozborne
Writer, Under the Gun Review
User Info.
Thanks for the share, y'all!
12:09 PM on 02/07/13
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
Fantastic article. I didn't plan on getting one so it didn't really affect me, but I was disgusted to see how many of those Thrice/Manchester Orchestra splits were up for sale the day of pre-orders for more than $100.
12:11 PM on 02/07/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
lol Fall Out Boy is everywhere and I love it.

I agree so much with this. It's such bullshit looking at, say pressings of For All Of This set at 100 dollars buy it now for literally months. If I were to ever sell something like that, right after it came out, it would only be to get the money that I paid back, not to make a profit
12:11 PM on 02/07/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Seriously fucking hate people who do that, but it's a problem that will never go away sadly.
12:12 PM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
Fantastic article. I didn't plan on getting one so it didn't really affect me, but I was disgusted to see how many of those Thrice/Manchester Orchestra splits were up for sale the day of pre-orders for more than $100.
Thanks! It's been a reality for a while, but I thought i'd just ease some collectors who may have just started in the past year or two. I feel ya. Thanks for reading!
12:12 PM on 02/07/13
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good read but nothing revelatory or unique. demand for vinyl will eventually decrease when the people who collect vinyl but don't own a record player will wonder what the fuck they're doing, and i think flipping will deter those types of collectors first. anyway, as demand decreases, so will secondhand prices. i would give it a couple (or few) more years for the trendy aspect of collecting to die down and we'll see sales/price drops.
12:16 PM on 02/07/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
I'm just pissed I'll never get a copy of Artist In The Ambulance with paying extortion prices on Ebay thanks to these people.
12:17 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
A distinction needs to be made between the Title Fight and FOB situations. The latter, where people buy multiple copies of a limiting pressing, is really unfortunate and frustrating, and labels should try to prevent it (only sell a few copies per person, for example). The former, where there's plenty of records but people want the /500, is not a problem. I have no issue with profiting off morons willing to pay $100 for a particular color.
12:19 PM on 02/07/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
THIS especially pisses me off. Jesus, it's out of 100 and a lot of people were dying to get this (I had no chance, started collecting vinyl literally the day after this sold out when I bought the Acoustic EP.) It's been on ebay forever for over three times the initial price. Such a dick move.
12:19 PM on 02/07/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
A distinction needs to be made between the Title Fight and FOB situations. The latter, where people buy multiple copies of a limiting pressing, is really unfortunate and frustrating, and labels should try to prevent it (only sell a few copies per person, for example). The former, where there's plenty of records but people want the /500, is not a problem. I have no issue with profiting off morons willing to pay $100 for a particular color.
Hot Topic needs to really be blamed, mainly for being so careless and letting people buy multiple copies at once.
12:20 PM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
Yeah I see what you're saying here, that makes sense. I do think it's a bit harmful to the collector still though, as there are people just buying them up just to sell it right away. It just seems a bit scummy to me.
12:21 PM on 02/07/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
It's getting pretty insane to the point where these people flip preorders they haven't even bought yet. But what bothers me the most is some of them are so saught after and they end up being in some ass hats storage space when they could belong to someone who would truly appreciate it. But the problem won't go away. There will always be horrible people.
12:22 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Hot Topic needs to really be blamed, mainly for being so careless and letting people buy multiple copies at once.
True, but I have a hard time complaining about those guys. The exclusive releases over the past few years have been fantastic.

BTW, Artist in the Ambulance is only going for like $30-35 from what I've seen
12:23 PM on 02/07/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
I agree, it's not like they still wouldn't sell them all.

I agree that the exclusives have been awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos