Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 12 posts
05:27 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
Misery Signals / Karl Schubach
User Info.
When do you think the album will be released?
We're aiming to have it out at the end of the summer. Recording will be taking place at a variety of studios across the country over the next few months. Mix date is scheduled for some time in May if all goes as planned.
05:32 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Karl, are you having another dig at cleans this record?
There are definitely a lot of moments on the album that have the opportunity to use clean vocals to our advantage. BUT, in saying that, we're not about to change up our format. The clean vocals on our previous records have been used sparingly. I don't see us straying too far from that.
05:38 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Excited to see you guys here in Michigan, How do you guys go about developing your setlist?
We take a lot of time fine-tuning our set list. Starting with a list of songs everyone collectively wants to play is the easy part. Then comes the painstaking procedure of placing the songs in an order that has the best flow. We play through each order combination until we find one that just feels right.
05:38 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Is the show still happening in NYC Saturday? There's a huge storm coming and I saw you changed tomorrow's show.
NYC is still 100% ON. It's gonna be a party!
05:41 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
did shane's take end up on the final recording? I feel like i didnt seem him mentioned in the linear notes though I could have missed that.

Also, wicked pumped for new tunes...dudes....
Shane politely asked me to remove his "vocal part". Didn't ask too many questions about it. I guess he had a change of heart.
05:45 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Branden is an insane drummer, and I'm sure he works his ass off! But what do you guys like to musically hear from drummers?
I absolutely love intricate, polyrhythmic drumming. But at the same time, I love when a talented, technical drummer knows when to lay back and lock into a solid/simplified groove to really drive a part to it's maximum potential.
05:51 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Around what time do you think the Sunday show will start?
We're still working out all the details. Will make an announcement tomorrow via the band's twitter/facebook/social media sites.
06:07 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Who's mixing the record? How did the prepro at Will Putney's go? What made yall decide not to work with Devin this time around? How the fuck do you make the clean tone on the 5150 sound good live? What bands inspired you guys when you were younger with all the polyrhythmic/syncopated/counterpart play? How many tracks on the new album? How did you guys originally approach the super detailed pocketing/transitioning of your songs on Of Malice... previous to the existence of home recording?

Sorry, huge fan :P
Who's mixing the record? Steve Evetts

How did the prepro at Will Putney's go? Awesome. Sometimes you need to have a 3rd party weigh in when you're too close to a project. Will had a bunch of great suggestions to take our songs to the next level.

What made yall decide not to work with Devin this time around? Devin has taken a step back from producing to concentrate on his own (INCREDIBLE) project. If you haven't had a chance to check out The Devin Townsend Project yet, do yourself a favor and pick up the albums.

How the fuck do you make the clean tone on the 5150 sound good live? "No gain, no treble" - RYAN.

What bands inspired you guys when you were younger with all the polyrhythmic/syncopated/counterpart play? Meshuggah, Cave In, Candiria, Tool.

How many tracks on the new album? Shooting for 11
06:22 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
First would like to say thanks for your music and everything it has done for my life.

Just a few questions:

-Is your new music more in the vein of the tighter, decidedly metalcore through-and-through style of Controller or are you trying to incorporate some more of the hardcore style we heard so much in "Of Malice" and to a lesser extent in "Mirrors?"
-Has being apart for so long changed the dynamic of the group in the writing/performing process? As a follow up, would you say we can expect a significant change in style or pacing for the new material?
-When can you guys make it out to Virginia?
-Do you still keep in contact with Jesse? I absolutely love your voice Karl and this is not meant to be any sort of comparison in vocal style, but "Of Malice" got me through a particularly hard time and my life and I would love to know if you guys are still on good terms and talk today.
-Is your new music more in the vein of the tighter, decidedly metalcore through-and-through style of Controller or are you trying to incorporate some more of the hardcore style we heard so much in "Of Malice" and to a lesser extent in "Mirrors?"

I'd like to think we are pulling elements from every MS record to date. Some of the tracks have turned out to have a more aggressive, chaotic feel similar to Of Malice, while others have taken more of a laid back, structured approach in the vibe of Controller and Mirrors.

-Has being apart for so long changed the dynamic of the group in the writing/performing process?

Our previous albums were written by 5 dudes jamming in a room together. This time around, geographical limitations have forced us to turn to the ways of the internet to send demos/ideas back and forth. That being said, it hasn't affected the way the songs have come together.

-When can you guys make it out to Virginia?

We played there last weekend at Ice Jam in Springfield haha.

-Do you still keep in contact with Jesse? I absolutely love your voice Karl and this is not meant to be any sort of comparison in vocal style, but "Of Malice" got me through a particularly hard time and my life and I would love to know if you guys are still on good terms and talk today.

Jesse has supported this band since his departure. He's been at every show we play in Edmonton, and keeps in contact with us. He recently moved a couple hours away from my hometown in Saskatchewan, where he's teaching at an elementary school.
06:24 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
What new metalcore artists do you guys find to be above the pack?
Counterparts.
06:26 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
Would you ever want to get Mirrors re-mastered? Would love to hear that, love a lot the songs but it seems the mastering detracts from the production quality
I'm in the process of trying to convert the ancient SD2 files that the songs were recorded in to WAV files in order to dive into the songs and potentially clean them up a little. Who knows.....future project, perhaps?
06:27 PM on 02/07/13
KarlMS
User Info.
CANADIANS!!!

So Karl, what's your favorite beer and hockey team?
I'm not a hockey guy, but my favorite beer team is Guinness.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos