Username
Password

01:37 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Seconding John Dies at the End and anything by McCarthy. Once you're used to his writing, McCarthy is amazing.
12:25 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
I still haven't checked this book out. It's been on my to read list for years.

I LOVE Haunted, though Invisible Monsters is still my favorite by a small margin

I love Invisible Monsters, it's my third favorite behind Diary. I don't really like his writing style (ruined Fight Club for me) but the man knows how to tell a hell of a story.

House of Leaves is an absolute must. It really feels like more than a book when you are reading it, I went to sleep terrified and woke up every morning asking myself about a million questions. Something that must be experienced. Really fucks with your head, I was talking to someone who had also read it the other day and it brought back everything like a goddamned LSD trip.
12:26 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
DixielandFabz
[amante de lo aburrido]
Mexico City
Female - 24 Years Old
If you like short stories maybe try out "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" by Haruki Murakami, so many beautiful landscapes there.
12:29 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, the second book of his vampire trilogy came out in October.

I really liked the first two books: The Passage and The Twelve

Final book comes out in 2014.

Just started The Passage...hooked about 15 pages in.
12:32 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm partial to hardboiled detective fiction from the Golden Age. Anything by Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Mickey Spillane, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, etc. That's really all I read, so my recommendations end there.

You ever check out The Colorado Kid by Stephen King? He released it as a paperback for Hard Case Crimes and it's a really swell detective story, if you are impartial to answers of course.

Joyland is coming out this year too, which is expected to be another homage to classic the classic detective tale.
02:09 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
Just started The Passage...hooked about 15 pages in.

Nice.

It's really interesting and it went in a direction that I never saw coming.
02:12 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
Seconding John Dies at the End and anything by McCarthy. Once you're used to his writing, McCarthy is amazing.

I loved John Dies at the End, but haven't had a chance to read the sequel. Have you read the sequel? Havent had the chance to get to it yet.

Completely agree about McCarthy. I took an American writers course in college and my professor had us read only stuff by McCarthy. My favorite class of all-time.

Blood Meridian changed my life.
02:51 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
I loved John Dies at the End, but haven't had a chance to read the sequel. Have you read the sequel? Havent had the chance to get to it yet.

Completely agree about McCarthy. I took an American writers course in college and my professor had us read only stuff by McCarthy. My favorite class of all-time.

Blood Meridian changed my life.

Blood Meridian and The Road are two of my favorite novels of all time, and I don't think any other novel has affected me emotionally as much as those two.

And I haven't read the sequel to John Dies at the End either, but I've heard good things. I've been meaning to read it for a while now.
03:11 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
Colorblind!
lord top button
London, ON
Male - 21 Years Old
yeah if you haven't read House of Leaves just stop what you're doing and go do that
07:45 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
alliswell31
tethered_to_the_shore
Johnston City,...
Male
Civil WarLand in Bad Decline is amazing. You should read that next.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing just that, Tenth of December is the first book I've read by George Saunders and it's like stumbling across a new favorite band, I have to dig into his back catalog. Thanks for the recommendation!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos