AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

03:39 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm a runner. Advice? I do not agree with the above poster. Don't skimp on running shoes. Seriously. Spend the money. Get a nice 100 to 140 dollar pair. Cheap running shoes won't last as long and if you run consistently, you will feel it in your joints and muscles with cheap shoes. Maybe for your purposes cheap shoes will do, but if you really want to get the most out of your workout, better shoes really do make a world of difference. They are the only accessory that actually affects your running, so it important, especially if you pronate (ask shoe athletic shoe salesmen about this and they can tell you if you pronate or not.)

As for progression, that's tough. You can't even run a mile? That's only ten minutes of exercise, for a slow runner. You have your work cut out for you. Start running up to a mile, walking for breaks if you need to. But general rule of thumb is don't run more than 10 percent more each week. In other words, if you run 5 miles in week 1, maybe move that up to 6 miles in week two. (Technically more than 10 percent, but that's for advanced), I run average of 25 miles a week.

Other basics is always warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk is good in average weather, and always stretch after your runs. Other than that, it is a learning process. You need to focus on breathing and listen to your body. Don't push too hard.

what this guy said. nice shoes will prevent shin splints. i always was a fan of asics or saucony. i was never a fan of addidas or nike, but that is just my opinion.
don't do static stretching, to calisthenics. it keeps the body in motion and is better for you. progression is key when you want to get up to 25 or more miles. back in high school i was doing close to 35. two of my best friends run d1 track and are at 75-90 a week. take it day by day. you'll find yourself enjoying it a lot more the more you run.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets