Username
Password

10:49 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
I ran from middle school all the way through college...well half way through college. Quit because I started to fall behind in my classes/grades. Anyway, you don't need some $100 shoe, my shoes were like $80. Also Nike Free's may not be the "best" for everyone. Go to a place that specializes in fitting running shoes, and they'll find one that fits your running/walking style. They have shoes for people with a neutral foot strike, pronators, etc. I personally like Asics or Saucony's. You would want to get a size bigger than your normal shoe size/have a thumbs width of free space at the tip of the shoe. As for running...like what someone else said do as much as you can, or alternate with a run/walk. Unfortunately I'm not experienced in providing a general workout routine for someone who wants to start running =/ It's also good to alternate with running, and cross-training so you can work your other muscles
08:42 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
I'm a runner. Advice? I do not agree with the above poster. Don't skimp on running shoes. Seriously. Spend the money. Get a nice 100 to 140 dollar pair. Cheap running shoes won't last as long and if you run consistently, you will feel it in your joints and muscles with cheap shoes. Maybe for your purposes cheap shoes will do, but if you really want to get the most out of your workout, better shoes really do make a world of difference. They are the only accessory that actually affects your running, so it important, especially if you pronate (ask shoe athletic shoe salesmen about this and they can tell you if you pronate or not.)

As for progression, that's tough. You can't even run a mile? That's only ten minutes of exercise, for a slow runner. You have your work cut out for you. Start running up to a mile, walking for breaks if you need to. But general rule of thumb is don't run more than 10 percent more each week. In other words, if you run 5 miles in week 1, maybe move that up to 6 miles in week two. (Technically more than 10 percent, but that's for advanced), I run average of 25 miles a week.

Other basics is always warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk is good in average weather, and always stretch after your runs. Other than that, it is a learning process. You need to focus on breathing and listen to your body. Don't push too hard.

Hi, it's the poster from above. My running shoes aren't "cheap." I bought them at a running shoe store that specializes in shoes, racing, training, etc. Just because I don't spend $140 on shoes, doesn't mean mine are shitty, and will feel it in my joints. Maybe you feel more "manly" or "cool" with having top-of-the-line $200 pair of shoes that are the new seasons style that work the same as oh maybe a $100 pair of shoes (probably because it's not the new "season" shoe), but telling me my shoes are cheap...well, it's just untrue, and you sound like an asshole. I just get ones that fit my running style, and feel good on my feet, and if they happen to be under $100, then its fucking under $100, and if they happen to be over $100, then its fucking over $100. Plus I got 10% discount on trainers because I ran for a school, so I guess that makes my shoes shitty because they didn't price over $100. Whatever will I do? And if you actually comprehended what I wrote, I stated I've ran up to college...ran competitively, so why the fuck would I buy cheap shoes that will hurt my joints? My shoe work just as well as yours. Just saying.

OP, if it clears anything up, I'm not saying buy shoes under $100, I'm saying it's not always necessary...you will be lucky sometimes and find shoes under $100 that do they same exact thing as something over $100. I've seen that with shoes that were the last seasons style. But, do go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes, I don't know which ones are in your area, so I cannot suggest some. And they'll fit you to a shoe, pick the one that feel more comfortable to you, and if the price happens to be like $90, that doesn't mean it's cheap, so don't freak out. I think the cheapest price you'll find on a good shoe is around $80+ (from what I've seen)
11:41 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
Who the hell spends $80+ on shoes? haha I think the most I've ever paid was ~20-60 dollars max, and that's painful to me haha

People who are "serious" about running? I ran/worked out like 6 days a week, so i needed a shoe of good quality. A $20 shoes sounds like it doesn't give a lot of support. There's also different types of shoes, like trail shoes or road shoes. Not sure which one is more pricy, because I've never bought trail shoes. Lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos