Username
Password

09:27 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
COREhorizon
Get Free
Bethlehem, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
Asics til I die. I've always loved running in Asics.

This. My current pair (lightweights) is my favorite ever.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...0rqyu2uotL--uA
09:41 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
jesse_hitz
Juice
South Slocan
Male - 24 Years Old
Just stat running as much as you can. Good place to start would be about 5km's a day. I use to do that 3 days in a row then take a day off. Make sure you take days to rest. As you get better and more in shape up your running distance and time it takes to complete. All you need is a good pair of shoes and your good to go! Good luck and be sure to try and eat healthy too!
09:42 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
I'm a runner. Advice? I do not agree with the above poster. Don't skimp on running shoes. Seriously. Spend the money. Get a nice 100 to 140 dollar pair. Cheap running shoes won't last as long and if you run consistently, you will feel it in your joints and muscles with cheap shoes. Maybe for your purposes cheap shoes will do, but if you really want to get the most out of your workout, better shoes really do make a world of difference. They are the only accessory that actually affects your running, so it important, especially if you pronate (ask shoe athletic shoe salesmen about this and they can tell you if you pronate or not.)

As for progression, that's tough. You can't even run a mile? That's only ten minutes of exercise, for a slow runner. You have your work cut out for you. Start running up to a mile, walking for breaks if you need to. But general rule of thumb is don't run more than 10 percent more each week. In other words, if you run 5 miles in week 1, maybe move that up to 6 miles in week two. (Technically more than 10 percent, but that's for advanced), I run average of 25 miles a week.

Other basics is always warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk is good in average weather, and always stretch after your runs. Other than that, it is a learning process. You need to focus on breathing and listen to your body. Don't push too hard.

Hi, it's the poster from above. My running shoes aren't "cheap." I bought them at a running shoe store that specializes in shoes, racing, training, etc. Just because I don't spend $140 on shoes, doesn't mean mine are shitty, and will feel it in my joints. Maybe you feel more "manly" or "cool" with having top-of-the-line $200 pair of shoes that are the new seasons style that work the same as oh maybe a $100 pair of shoes (probably because it's not the new "season" shoe), but telling me my shoes are cheap...well, it's just untrue, and you sound like an asshole. I just get ones that fit my running style, and feel good on my feet, and if they happen to be under $100, then its fucking under $100, and if they happen to be over $100, then its fucking over $100. Plus I got 10% discount on trainers because I ran for a school, so I guess that makes my shoes shitty because they didn't price over $100. Whatever will I do? And if you actually comprehended what I wrote, I stated I've ran up to college...ran competitively, so why the fuck would I buy cheap shoes that will hurt my joints? My shoe work just as well as yours. Just saying.

OP, if it clears anything up, I'm not saying buy shoes under $100, I'm saying it's not always necessary...you will be lucky sometimes and find shoes under $100 that do they same exact thing as something over $100. I've seen that with shoes that were the last seasons style. But, do go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes, I don't know which ones are in your area, so I cannot suggest some. And they'll fit you to a shoe, pick the one that feel more comfortable to you, and if the price happens to be like $90, that doesn't mean it's cheap, so don't freak out. I think the cheapest price you'll find on a good shoe is around $80+ (from what I've seen)
11:00 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
My first pair of legit running shoes were Brooks, and they were about $90, and I did a half marathon about a year ago in the Adidas I still run in, for about $110, and both served me pretty well. I'm pretty lightweight and also laissez faire about my health though, I think most would advocate rotating shoes more frequently.

As a teenager I used to run over three miles a night on the street in cheapass sneakers, so depending on your weight and history it might not necessarily be about the shoes.

I'm surprised you're as old as you are and never ran a mile at once. We had to do the mile for gym class in like, fourth grade. Keep in mind that the longer distance you run, the less progressive pain you'll experience, as your brain releases endorphins and your breathing regulates.
12:06 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Mr. Dennis
What we like most is kicking a blue
Raleigh, NC
Male - 28 Years Old
+1 for going to a specialty shop for them to look at your walk and suggest a shoe for you
12:23 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
Who the hell spends $80+ on shoes? haha I think the most I've ever paid was ~20-60 dollars max, and that's painful to me haha
12:41 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
Who the hell spends $80+ on shoes? haha I think the most I've ever paid was ~20-60 dollars max, and that's painful to me haha

People who are "serious" about running? I ran/worked out like 6 days a week, so i needed a shoe of good quality. A $20 shoes sounds like it doesn't give a lot of support. There's also different types of shoes, like trail shoes or road shoes. Not sure which one is more pricy, because I've never bought trail shoes. Lol
02:00 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
SockMonkeyRiot
johnnymainstream.bandcamp .com
Mansfield Center, CT
Male - 28 Years Old
A lot of running stores will let you take the shoes out for a run as well to try them out. Once you know what you like you can usually find them cheaper online or at some department stores (depending on the shoe and brand). You can get older models cheaper too. The only time I've spent $100 on shoes were for Spikes and Racing Flats.

www.runnersworld.com has a good beginners forum that you should check out
04:25 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
nikkiblink
Boston
Female - 28 Years Old
I'd suggest the "Couch to 5k" app to start with intervals of running and walking. It's great, you just listen to your headphones and start out walking, then when it beeps you switch to running; when it beeps again, you go back to walking, etc. Everything is timed out for you. Also, as others have said, it's worth it to invest in some good running shoes, and take a day to rest between runs. Making a playlist of fast songs is a great motivator for me. Have fun running!
06:02 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
I used to run all the time but because of decreasing quality of my knees I had to stop and now stick to the eliptical for cardio. First things first, get yourself a good pair of running shoes. I use Nike Free Run's they are a little expensive but they are amazing. They fit like a glove and are so light it feels like you're running barefoot.

Another tip is to drink a bottle of water or two before you run. I used to get terrible stomach cramps until i figured out they went away if i drank some water before.

While running, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Most people, especially new runners or people out of shape, breathe in and out of their mouth like they're panting and you will run out of breath very fast and feel winded.

As for the length of your run and the type of run is up to you. I'd start out just going for a jog and seeing how you feel. If you can only run a mile or half a mile, I'd say do that for a week or until you're body is used to it then bump it up. Next week try two miles. You have plenty of time and exercising should be enjoyable. If you try to do too much too fast, you'll just frustrated and end up quitting.

If you're really trying to get in shape, interval running is the best way to do that. Interval running is good because it keeps your heartbeat up which is how you lose fat and running tones you're abl muscles and tones almost every muscle in your body. An easy way to do interval running is to count telephone poles. I used to run/sprint the distance of two telephone poles then jog to the next one, then run/sprint two more and so on.

I used to hate running but after dedicating time to it, I am able to run 5 miles without falling over and dying haha I used to be 236 lbs and am now around 170.. Anymore questions just pm me
This
07:32 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 26 Years Old
A lot of running stores will let you take the shoes out for a run as well to try them out. Once you know what you like you can usually find them cheaper online or at some department stores (depending on the shoe and brand). You can get older models cheaper too. The only time I've spent $100 on shoes were for Spikes and Racing Flats.

www.runnersworld.com has a good beginners forum that you should check out

this is what i do. i got a pair of last seasons brooks adrenaline's today at rei for 70 bucks.
07:59 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
KingMax01
Theres no good in your eyes anymore
Alberta, Canada
Male - 21 Years Old
This. My current pair (lightweights) is my favorite ever.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...0rqyu2uotL--uA

the hard overlays don't rub your feet?
08:21 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Palestinian
Unregistered User
Bay Area, CA
Male - 20 Years Old
So are moderators just completely oblivious or what? 6 spam bot posts out of like 20?
08:34 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
COREhorizon
Get Free
Bethlehem, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
the hard overlays don't rub your feet?

Nah man. The toes push through the mesh but not the top screen.
11:31 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
I don't have alot of protips to contribute, but I'd like to sub to this thread.

But I will say that I love running, I used to run 4-6 miles a day, in about an hour fifteen. I know that's nothing like a pro would, but even just that was more than the average person. My stamina and strength was better than anyone I know.

On the topic of you saying you can hardly run a mile, I understand that too. I stopped running for a few years, gained like twenty pounds and then when I started again recently I swear I was done and dead after like a 30min 1 mile half-assed jog. But honestly after only going 3-4 times a week, after about a month I'm already back up to the 4 mile point, 3 on a lazy day. I definitely can run alot longer than I could a month ago.

Again, I know it's not exactly pro-runner stats but for a normal person it's just such an awesome feeling to see yourself going way past what you used to be able to just a few weeks ago. The more you keep up with it, obviously the easier it gets and thus the more fun/less work it is.

Good luck!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version