Username
Password

10:37 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
I used to run all the time but because of decreasing quality of my knees I had to stop and now stick to the eliptical for cardio. First things first, get yourself a good pair of running shoes. I use Nike Free Run's they are a little expensive but they are amazing. They fit like a glove and are so light it feels like you're running barefoot.

Another tip is to drink a bottle of water or two before you run. I used to get terrible stomach cramps until i figured out they went away if i drank some water before.

While running, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Most people, especially new runners or people out of shape, breathe in and out of their mouth like they're panting and you will run out of breath very fast and feel winded.

As for the length of your run and the type of run is up to you. I'd start out just going for a jog and seeing how you feel. If you can only run a mile or half a mile, I'd say do that for a week or until you're body is used to it then bump it up. Next week try two miles. You have plenty of time and exercising should be enjoyable. If you try to do too much too fast, you'll just frustrated and end up quitting.

If you're really trying to get in shape, interval running is the best way to do that. Interval running is good because it keeps your heartbeat up which is how you lose fat and running tones you're abl muscles and tones almost every muscle in your body. An easy way to do interval running is to count telephone poles. I used to run/sprint the distance of two telephone poles then jog to the next one, then run/sprint two more and so on.

I used to hate running but after dedicating time to it, I am able to run 5 miles without falling over and dying haha I used to be 236 lbs and am now around 170.. Anymore questions just pm me
I don't know about the shoes part, but basically all this. I do the telephone pole thing too! Haha, it does work and it feels easier than when you're like "okay gonna run for 45 seconds" idk why. It feels awesome to run so much without dying doesn't it??

I did have to comment though, I don't know about the water thing because if I drink a bottle of water like under a half hour before running, I get horrible cramps and it ruins my whole run. I just drink a ton of water throughout the day to hydrate up and then a last full glass a half hour before.

Good tip with the breathing though, I've been having a problem with that lately. I guess I've forgotten how to breathe this time haha. Thanks for mentioning it!
12:55 AM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
zporter92
Navarre, FL
Male - 22 Years Old
Me and my friend from work workout and run a 5k every other night, and for me, my $25 pair of shoes have lasted almost a year with no pain. However, I'm also pretty light, so that might have something to do with it. Definitely don't push yourself too hard at first, and if you've never ran a mile, then obviously that should be your starting goal. I would also recommend getting a running buddy because you'll talk to them while you run, which builds up your endurance really quickly, and it helps keep you motivated as well. Don't pant like a dog, just take slow, deep breaths from your nose to your mouth.

Drink water before and after, and for me, a banana or two after my runs kept me from getting sore for the first 3 weeks until my body just got used to running, so try that! Also, if you do want to try long distance at first, I would recommend finding a path with easy markers, and running at pace for .25/.5 miles, and then slowing down to a slow jog for .25 miles, and just repeat that over and over. That really helps your body catch up. I run on the beach though, and there are markers every .25, so it might not be as easy to find markers for you.

Good luck!
09:09 AM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
RunningFool
Hurry up with my damn croissant
EUG ORE USA
Male - 30 Years Old
WHOA WHOA WHOA ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT RUNNING?

Because um I like running.

15:40
10:55 AM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
crypticv24
Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Male
As a former shoe salesman, I can at least give you a tip for looking for a nice shoe (you can also find all this online). Check the soles of your current shoes - if they are much more worn on one side, that means your foot is "rolling" to that side when you run, so buy a shoe that is advertised as providing extra support to keep that from happening. Or just look at the shoe you want to buy - support shoes usually have stiffer cushioning on the inside of the midsole. I am repeating a few other posters a bit here, but Asics are fantastic shoes for support if you need it, and even if you don't. I also really like Mizuno's, and am not a huge fan of Adidas, as their cushioning always seemed to flatten out a lot faster than other brands to me, but your mileage may vary I guess.
12:03 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
SockMonkeyRiot
johnnymainstream.bandcamp .com
West Haven, CT
Male - 28 Years Old
WHOA WHOA WHOA ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT RUNNING?

Because um I like running.

15:40

Is that your 5k pr?
12:58 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
RunningFool
Hurry up with my damn croissant
EUG ORE USA
Male - 30 Years Old
Yes. (For now.)
01:42 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
JoshKilpatrickL
It Didn't Have To Be This Way
Male - 22 Years Old
I run daily and always use PUMA shoes.
02:21 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
SockMonkeyRiot
johnnymainstream.bandcamp .com
West Haven, CT
Male - 28 Years Old

Very nice, did you run in College?
02:32 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
GrantCloud
Minneapolis
Male - 26 Years Old
i used to run 5+ times a week when i was trying to lose weight, usually 3-5 miles at a time, but now that im at the ideal weight i run about 4 times a week and only a mile and a half as a pre workout, just to keep the cardio and endurance up. im sure once it gets warmer outside i will run around lakes in my neighborhood which are about 3 miles around, treadmills are the worst.

and i am using nike pegasus right now, they are gold.
02:35 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
Asics til I die. I've always loved running in Asics.

This. Also, go to a professional running store and get your feet checked out for your arches and how you pronate. If you get the wrong type of running shoes for your arch or how you step normally, you will fuck your knees up, feet up and God knows what else up in the long wrong. do not listen to 'the more expensive the better the shoe' quality bullshit, because you can get a beautiful, on sale pair of running sneakers that do your feet way more justice, than a 300 dollar pair of Nikes. Just do your research about your feet before you purchase.

As far as running goes, I'm not a long distance runner, I only run about 7 miles a week, but if you've never run a mile in your life, I would start with speed walking and work your way up. Speed walk around a track or around your neighborhood, or some place with hills, because hills will kick your ass and build up your endurance, once you have conquered that, start jogging. Jog for 5-10 minutes at a time and see how you feel, if you belong to a gym, do time intervals on the treadmill, this will help you figure out where you stand and how your endurance is changing. Good luck, good decision to run, it'll make you feel so much better.
07:11 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
ChristopherBear
Yokohama
Male
i can't run too well since i have flat feet but i do hear when youre finally into it (LONG SLOW CLIMB) its awesomely rewarding

my form of cardio is skateboiarding on a cruiser board with big wheels. you can glide, push at your speed take baby breaks

perfect balance and naturally builds your endurance slowly
07:44 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I used to run all the time but because of decreasing quality of my knees I had to stop and now stick to the eliptical for cardio. First things first, get yourself a good pair of running shoes. I use Nike Free Run's they are a little expensive but they are amazing. They fit like a glove and are so light it feels like you're running barefoot.

Another tip is to drink a bottle of water or two before you run. I used to get terrible stomach cramps until i figured out they went away if i drank some water before.

While running, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Most people, especially new runners or people out of shape, breathe in and out of their mouth like they're panting and you will run out of breath very fast and feel winded.

As for the length of your run and the type of run is up to you. I'd start out just going for a jog and seeing how you feel. If you can only run a mile or half a mile, I'd say do that for a week or until you're body is used to it then bump it up. Next week try two miles. You have plenty of time and exercising should be enjoyable. If you try to do too much too fast, you'll just frustrated and end up quitting.

If you're really trying to get in shape, interval running is the best way to do that. Interval running is good because it keeps your heartbeat up which is how you lose fat and running tones you're abl muscles and tones almost every muscle in your body. An easy way to do interval running is to count telephone poles. I used to run/sprint the distance of two telephone poles then jog to the next one, then run/sprint two more and so on.

I used to hate running but after dedicating time to it, I am able to run 5 miles without falling over and dying haha I used to be 236 lbs and am now around 170.. Anymore questions just pm me

Every single thing you posted. To add to the interval running, I abuse my fellow soldiers with hill running. Sprinting up hills is going to do a ton for both your speed and your endurance. I also found it a lot easier to run when I just let my arms hang loose. It opens up your airway and uses a lot less energy.
12:24 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
DixielandFabz
[amante de lo aburrido]
Mexico City
Female - 24 Years Old
I like to take hours-long walks, but as soon as i start to run, my body just goes down.
12:37 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
dirty sanchez
Whatever else you do, stay true
STAY TRUEEEE
MAIL - 22 Years Old
Run from 6am-7am every day.
01:21 PM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
we're pieces on the board
Maryland
Male
Just get a good pair on sale from nike, adidas, asics, new balance, etc. When i started, i was wearing basketball shoes. Obviously that isn't recommended, but I'm trying to say the shoes are not as big of a deal as you might think at first. I've had no complaints about my Adidas Marathon10 since i got them 3 years ago.

Also, its interesting that there would be any confusion for a beginner, since running is the only exercise I do because it is so simple. You'll figure it out as you go.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos