AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 13 posts.
10:56 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'll probably get roasted for this but...

I think Brand New is popular on this site for nostalgia reasons riding the wave from their highly well received sophomore album even though their last two albums were met with mixed reviews. And the hype is for them to make an album that is just as great and they're just as bad as Saosin in regards to being mysterious. Just my opinion.
I'd say that TDAG is seen by most fans as their best album -- and is definitely the higher rated of the two when it comes to reviews (Daisy is higher than Deja from a critical review stand point).

And I've never seen 1/100th of this buzz (here or elsewhere) for Saosin.
11:00 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, I think so.

Some artists release new music and demos and update everyone on their every move. And that's fine. But people take it for granted. For example, I love Say Anything, but whenever I see Max Bemis/one of his project's puts out a new song I'm just like "ehhh, I'll listen to it eventually".

Interesting parallel. I get the same way ... if there's too much stuff (I stopped even trying to collect all of Max's projects), then almost the opposite happens. I've done that same thing too.
11:06 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Does anyone have a link to the déjà entendu ecard that was floating around on this site around release date? I need a hit of nostalgia if it still exists
http://flashenhanced.com/brandnew

That's where it was. It's dead now though.
11:08 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
It seems like it would make it really difficult to be a casual fan of the band because someone who isn't really devoted to Brand New won't have the patience to put up with all the teases and non-news.
I kinda wonder if it makes it easier too ... you just sit back, go about your day, and wait for something to actually come out and the band to tour every 3-4 years.
11:11 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I feel exactly the same way...

This. Good band, but confusing nonetheless.

I'm a Brand New fan and I'm still baffled as to why everyone on this site goes so crazy for them.

I really do think a big part of it has to do with the mystery ... it's something you can't have, can't know, and it makes people crazy. Plus, it helps that the band released two (for some 3) of the most influential albums in their formative lives.
11:24 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Aside from the music, that's one of the things that I love about this band. Most bands covered on this website come to Canada to play shows in 3 cities, just like Fall Out Boy is doing this summer, and that annoys me. I really appreciate the fact that Brand New is willing to actually tour across our country and do a legitimate Canadian tour. The fact that they don't refuse interview requests from us Canadians is just an added bonus, haha.

Let's use this to our advantage. Hah.
12:13 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think that right there is the key. Brand New isn't just a band to a lot of their fans, they're the ones who sang the songs that put words to our feelings when we didn't know how to do it ourselves, the ones who were there for us in those dark days of self-discovery and youth. They keep to themselves, their personal lives aren't splashed on the front page of every website, they're just passionate dudes who make passionate music, and even the slightest inclination that they could come out with another album that could change our lives all over again is a bit of a big deal, you know?
Well said.
12:17 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's kind of like the innocent girl in high-school that everyone wants to fuck. She's completely untouchable, but she's cute, quirky, and has a soft spot in every guys heart, they all wants her. Suddenly she kisses a guy at a party and nobody can shut up about it.
I used to know the names of every person I'd kissed ....
12:17 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
No, Jason was correct. He mentioned two albums. I correctly assume hes referring to Devil and Deja, both great albums.
I was.
01:56 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
This needs to trend.
01:56 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Pretty obvious that Brand New's mystique comes from them turning everything about them into a "happening". Not that they aren't very good, but the hype, the exclusivity, the random popping up at shows every once in a while, it's all a part of why people go nuts for them.

I can't tell how much is planned ... but it works so well its like it's planned, without it being planned -- if that makes sense.
03:29 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
What about Andy Hull though? The man has a ton of projects going on yet I feel like when he puts something out people eat it up. Can't say many push it to the side. Or Justin Vernon, IMO.
I can only speak for myself ... but I only listen to MO and Bad Brains.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums