Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 117
12:22 PM on 02/08/13
DrewFoundGlory
@AndrewKyle2219
User Info.
Absolutely, but they also make great music which is the biggest factor in it. Can't have a terrible band that is mysterious get this kind of reception.
12:24 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Aside from the music, that's one of the things that I love about this band. Most bands covered on this website come to Canada to play shows in 3 cities, just like Fall Out Boy is doing this summer, and that annoys me. I really appreciate the fact that Brand New is willing to actually tour across our country and do a legitimate Canadian tour. The fact that they don't refuse interview requests from us Canadians is just an added bonus, haha.

Let's use this to our advantage. Hah.
12:34 PM on 02/08/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Brand New < Kate Upton
12:37 PM on 02/08/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
I don't think Brand New is "mysterious." I think they just don't tell their fans anything and release music especially rarely compared to most bands. If I was as big a fan as some people on this site are (I like them but rarely listen to them; I'd say I'm a pretty casual fan) I think that those things would frustrate me more than they already do to the point where I might stop liking them so much. There's a difference between causing hype and being mysterious/using viral marketing type schemes and just being obnoxious and not telling anyone anything.

Just my opinion, of course.
12:37 PM on 02/08/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Who is the singer of Shone?

(besides the sesame street puppets)
12:38 PM on 02/08/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
It seems like it would make it really difficult to be a casual fan of the band because someone who isn't really devoted to Brand New won't have the patience to put up with all the teases and non-news.
See my above post, haha.
12:39 PM on 02/08/13
klaszlogt
User Info.
I'd argue the secrecy and excitement around Brand New is analogous to the Apple and the tech world
12:42 PM on 02/08/13
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
It helps. It's like when a new Grand Theft Auto comes out, gamers are hyped because Rockstar Games is so secretive and they continue to put out quality work. Brand New is the same, the secrecy helps them, it adds to their allure. I doubt they're even doing it on purpose, but it helps them in the end.
12:47 PM on 02/08/13
cove5859
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would definitely disagree with TDAGARIM being mixed. From what I have seen here, the mixed just comes from those who find their first album their favorite (definitely nostalgic) and are always waiting for their return to that style (which will never happen). TDAGARIM continues to be one of my favorite albums of all time for any band.

THIS
12:51 PM on 02/08/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Brand New's secrecy may have something to do with why people get so excited about this on this site, but the fact that virtually everyone on this board has a gigantic hard on for this band is still baffling.

It just seems strange that 90% of the people on this board don't just like Brand New, they LOVE them... The overwhelming response to any thread with the words Brand New in it is still baffling to me

edit:
I know I'll get hate for this but...
To me Brand New has a few good records and one really good record that sounds like Modest Mouse... Modest Mouse gets WAY less recognition on this site and has a few great records and a few really good records... MM is also fairly ambiguous... Not to compare the two bands, but MM is the closest band to BN that I can think of (in terms of musical similarities and ambiguity)
12:56 PM on 02/08/13
bromygod
\_(ツ)_/
User Info.
I really do think a big part of it has to do with the mystery ... it's something you can't have, can't know, and it makes people crazy. Plus, it helps that the band released two (for some 3) of the most influential albums in their formative lives.

I think that right there is the key. Brand New isn't just a band to a lot of their fans, they're the ones who sang the songs that put words to our feelings when we didn't know how to do it ourselves, the ones who were there for us in those dark days of self-discovery and youth. They keep to themselves, their personal lives aren't splashed on the front page of every website, they're just passionate dudes who make passionate music, and even the slightest inclination that they could come out with another album that could change our lives all over again is a bit of a big deal, you know?
12:58 PM on 02/08/13
MXP
aka Max Phillips
User Info.
Well, I enjoy the secrecy. The thread explosion is always great for Brand New.
01:01 PM on 02/08/13
PHI Flyers10
Registered Member
User Info.
Brand New's secrecy may have something to do with why people get so excited about this on this site, but the fact that virtually everyone on this board has a gigantic hard on for this band is still baffling.

It just seems strange that 90% of the people on this board don't just like Brand New, they LOVE them... The overwhelming response to any thread with the words Brand New in it is still baffling to me

edit:
I know I'll get hate for this but...
To me Brand New has a few good records and one really good record that sounds like Modest Mouse... Modest Mouse gets WAY less recognition on this site and has a few great records and a few really good records... MM is also fairly ambiguous... Not to compare the two bands, but MM is the closest band to BN that I can think of (in terms of musical similarities and ambiguity)
It's because they're just that good and influential on most of the people here. They became synonymous with a period of a lot of people's lives on here. The fact that they aren't constantly putting out songs here or there or a new album every 2 years makes people crave it more, because the average band would have released six, coming up on 7 albums in the time that Brand New has been around, yet they've only got 4, and the last one was 3 and a half years ago. People get excited because they've been waiting such long periods of time to hear new stuff from one of their favorite bands.
01:02 PM on 02/08/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
I just watched the Brand New DVD and couldn't help but think if Jesse watched it he would just cringe the whole time. It was strangely almost uncomfortable for me to watch him be so lighthearted and open, it just didn't seem right. Like others have said, I definitely feel like all the secrecy surrounding them does heighten the hype specifically because with Brand New you never know if the next thing you get from them is going to be the last for them. With some of my other favorite artists I get excited about releases and tours but know that if I miss the tour I'll have another opportunity and that the album they put out most likely won't be their last but with Brand New all of that is up in the air and so I think I cherish their releases more.
01:02 PM on 02/08/13
xburningcoffin
User Info.
The mystery is a big reason people go nuts over brand new. Whether everyone is willing to admit it is another thing. With the release of mbv this week, I can't help but see the parallel with being purposely reclusive or accidentally reclusive(whatever) and that adding alot of interest to a project. It's almost a brilliant marketing scheme, except for it seems to hang the fans out to dry because of the way of the traditional album cycle works. I think this isn't their intention, they appreciate their fans but they aren't slaves to them. They are taking control of their art and that's why I appreciate what they are doing - taking the time to experience things outside of touring and the band in order to make their art. If you are waiting patiently for a brand new record it would be the same as waiting for another new my bloody valentine record, it's not on our terms and the sooner we figure that out the better. I just hope it won't be two decades later...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos