AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 117 of 117
01:14 PM on 02/09/13
TNK329
User Info.
I'm a pretty big fan myself and every time they put material out it's just quality. The secrecy/mystique definitely fueled me to follow Brand New so much in the first place.
I remember the first time I saw them I couldn't even get a good glimpse at the band because I was getting pushed around so much and the lights were dim. But the couple times I was able to see them just going nuts on stage and it was just brilliant.
It's kind of like that for their releases too. We may not get material all the time but when we do it's just fucking great music. That's part of why every release is good in its own way. They actually put out a solid effort instead of just releasing something they just finished for the sake of finishing. And also it's good to know that they don't really try to hype their album up themselves (like most bands do now) but instead just let their work speak for themselves.
01:18 PM on 02/09/13
tool5591
hey, vanity
User Info.
distance makes the heart grow fonder
02:16 PM on 02/09/13
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
Yes the secrecy adds to the mystery which adds to the appeal. My Favorite band know exactly what they're doing.
02:17 PM on 02/09/13
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
I've read myself that Jesse Lacey is baffled by their 'enigmatic presence' as well. He says it's unintentional, but I feel like at the least they definitely have a good laugh when it comes to the old rumor mill.
He's very down to earth, from personal experience.

:toot toot:

Seriously though I pray to the gods there is a BN album this year.
02:18 PM on 02/09/13
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
I'm a pretty big fan myself and every time they put material out it's just quality. The secrecy/mystique definitely fueled me to follow Brand New so much in the first place.
I remember the first time I saw them I couldn't even get a good glimpse at the band because I was getting pushed around so much and the lights were dim. But the couple times I was able to see them just going nuts on stage and it was just brilliant.
It's kind of like that for their releases too. We may not get material all the time but when we do it's just fucking great music. That's part of why every release is good in its own way. They actually put out a solid effort instead of just releasing something they just finished for the sake of finishing. And also it's good to know that they don't really try to hype their album up themselves (like most bands do now) but instead just let their work speak for themselves.
very well said.
02:21 PM on 02/09/13
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
This is spot on. Half the fun with Brand New is the mystery. "Send $1 to this address for the lyrics" ...no lyrics ever come.
lol i cant believe that kid who conducted the awesome interview with Jesse this past summer didn't ask him about the lyrics situation on record.

Did you ever hear anything about an explanation Tate or Drew?
03:25 PM on 02/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
"I love this band with an almost #cutforbieber mentality"

I would almost be up for this.

At least I would be if I was still 15...
09:49 PM on 02/09/13
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's a bit of both.

For their first two albums the band promoted and were very visible. Deja Entendu is still my favourite record, so the idea of a need for secrecy for the sake of art for this band is lost on.

With TDAG I think things changed for the band in their personal lives and professional lives that spawned a change in how they handled being in Brand New.At this point they had "made it" as musicians. People were anticipating a new album and they had signed to a major after success with Triple Crown. With personal family losses, a change over to the big time professional and a lot of pressure these guys decided to go underground. The demo leaks probably didn't help.

I think the secrecy has alienated certain fans but may be necessary for their survival. I haven't loved how they fell like a sometimes band. I may add to the legend of Brand New. They are still very very talented. I hope they have more privacy and fee more freedom than they did before, especially now that they are free agents again I believe.

I just remember seeing this band tour as an opening act touring Your Favorite Weapon and having only like five people standing in front of the stage watching (yes, that includes me), and really being impressed by the passion and effort they put into it. There's no secrecy or legend to hid behind in a situation like that, and they truly impressed. That's the Brand New I feel in love with listening to and being a fan of. No need to hide when you're good. Plus KD and many other great artists like Riley from Thrice have always made themselves more available to the public. To each their own comfort, but I'm always interested in reading what those guys have to say.

Looking forward to the possibly Brand New song or EP or Full length they may be up to once the others break away from Shone.
04:16 AM on 02/10/13
DefendTheGenre
I sing songs and drink whiskey.
User Info.
I still love Brand New's music but I frankly cannot stand them as a band anymore.

Everything about how they treat their careers and their fans leads me to believe that they have zero appreciation for the position they're in.

I guess that's what happens when you've been able to pay your bills with music since you were 17.

The fervor that surrounds Brand New is baffling to me and even more confusing is that everyone who plays in a band doesn't have a seriously bad taste in their mouth when it comes to this band.

I basically just view the fans of Brand New like someone who's significant other abuses them on a regular basis but stays with them anyways because "maybe they'll change".
02:43 PM on 02/10/13
Feenucks
Majority Bones
User Info.
Everything about how they treat their careers and their fans leads me to believe that they have zero appreciation for the position they're in.

I guess that's what happens when you've been able to pay your bills with music since you were 17.

I think you're giving them far too much credit. I'm fairly certain some of the guys work real jobs, at least part time, in addition to being in Brand New. They are big in our music scene, but they are by no means "huge" on a real world scale. Most people I know have (sadly) never even heard of them. I'm sure they supplement what they make from the band with other endeavors. Bands make most of their money from touring and we all know Brand New doesn't do nearly enough of that.
05:53 PM on 02/10/13
Skatinbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think you're giving them far too much credit. I'm fairly certain some of the guys work real jobs, at least part time, in addition to being in Brand New. They are big in our music scene, but they are by no means "huge" on a real world scale. Most people I know have (sadly) never even heard of them. I'm sure they supplement what they make from the band with other endeavors. Bands make most of their money from touring and we all know Brand New doesn't do nearly enough of that.
I'd have to disagree and say the members probably make enough to pay rent and cover living expenses, and have some for themselves. They toured a shit ton earlier in their years and it wasn't until recently they cooled down. On top of the, their discography alone has raked in well over 1.5 million copies, which Jesse claims he doesn't see anything from record sales for the first two records, but it's a fact that he does (even though it's much smaller than an Indep. release). So Daisy is their biggest cash grab, YFW probably sold the most, and then you have the tons and tons and tons of merch they sell (even by the week).

Add the fact that they tour (I bet they make about 30k per show), these guys are set. On top of everything Brand New related, some of them have side projects or whatever they want to do that keeps it coming. (producing, etc.)

To say Brand New is not financially secure is foolish.
05:30 PM on 02/11/13
Feenucks
Majority Bones
User Info.
I'd have to disagree and say the members probably make enough to pay rent and cover living expenses, and have some for themselves. They toured a shit ton earlier in their years and it wasn't until recently they cooled down. On top of the, their discography alone has raked in well over 1.5 million copies, which Jesse claims he doesn't see anything from record sales for the first two records, but it's a fact that he does (even though it's much smaller than an Indep. release). So Daisy is their biggest cash grab, YFW probably sold the most, and then you have the tons and tons and tons of merch they sell (even by the week).

Add the fact that they tour (I bet they make about 30k per show), these guys are set. On top of everything Brand New related, some of them have side projects or whatever they want to do that keeps it coming. (producing, etc.)

To say Brand New is not financially secure is foolish.

I was with you until that condescending last line. Unnecessary, buddy.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I think they're "financially insecure", but I don't think they're as ballin' out rich as most fans seem to think they are. The fact is that most bands, unless it is an independent release, pretty much see pennies on the dollar of what every album sells. As a band they might see 30k a show, but then you gotta split that among a band of five and then the crew (guitar and drum techs, which I'm almost certain Brand New pay out of pocket). Shows are where most of the revenue comes from and they did a lot of that in the early years. Perhaps that provided them the necessary cushion to be able to slow down as they have, combined with all the merch they sold per show, which is considerably more than they sell now since they barely play shows and most retailers no longer carry their merchandise. The only way to get those items is online, and I'd venture to say that most people who want them already have shirts and own all of their records. In any case, nobody who isn't close to te band knows their inner workings, financially (or otherwise, which is what this thread is about). It's all pure speculation, on both sides.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos