Username
Password

06:50 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
aolsux
phase reverse
Reading, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/01/how_netflix_is_turning_viewers_into _puppets/?source=newsletter

great Salon piece on just this very issue, but more on how Netflix figured out EXACTLY what would appeal to its base
07:55 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
aolsux
phase reverse
Reading, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Yeah, to the point of TV being less of an "event," it is hard for me to remember back to over a decade ago where missing a new show that broadcast at 8 could mean not being able to see the show. I remember that TV used to be bonding with my family; shows that I would watch with my father, mother, sister and then something we all watched as a family. I do the binge watching sparingly (House of Cards was done in three days) that was addressed in the Salon article above, and I actually prefer waiting so that there is some break between each complete thought. I suppose there is something to the fact that normally, House of Cards would have been a three month commitment if it were to air on television.
09:52 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
aolsux
phase reverse
Reading, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
To add on to the end of your point, I'm excited to see three months down the road as far as how people enjoyed House of Cards that watched it weekly/biweekly vs. people who took it all in over a weekend. Think there will be a lot of disconnect?

I'm not sure how a series' quality is effected by the way people digest it.
Yeah, I look back on shows that I have always watched on tv live when it broadcasts versus shows that I have killed in less than a week. Lie To Me was incredible watching back to back episodes. I was a Lie To Me addict for about four days taking out the entire series. I have watched Breaking Bad every week since the piliot episode and I couldn't imagine not having this creeping suspense constantly in my life. In summation, I don't think Netflix is going to kill the weekly brand versus the here's everything brand. It will strengthen a market of television to release them all verus the classic style. Think maybe a subscription to an online channel producing enough content like 2 original dramas, 2 original comedies and maybe made for the network movie per year. Like a fully functioning studio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos