Username
Password

09:52 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
aolsux
phase reverse
Reading, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
To add on to the end of your point, I'm excited to see three months down the road as far as how people enjoyed House of Cards that watched it weekly/biweekly vs. people who took it all in over a weekend. Think there will be a lot of disconnect?

I'm not sure how a series' quality is effected by the way people digest it.
Yeah, I look back on shows that I have always watched on tv live when it broadcasts versus shows that I have killed in less than a week. Lie To Me was incredible watching back to back episodes. I was a Lie To Me addict for about four days taking out the entire series. I have watched Breaking Bad every week since the piliot episode and I couldn't imagine not having this creeping suspense constantly in my life. In summation, I don't think Netflix is going to kill the weekly brand versus the here's everything brand. It will strengthen a market of television to release them all verus the classic style. Think maybe a subscription to an online channel producing enough content like 2 original dramas, 2 original comedies and maybe made for the network movie per year. Like a fully functioning studio.
11:01 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
Netflix article really got me thinking about this today.

I'm not sure how a series' quality is effected by the way people digest it.

I bought Deadwood after hearing how good it was and didn't really enjoy it after "marathoning" the first season with my roommates. It definitely seems like a show that I need to watch an episode or two at a time and think about, rather than a show like HIMYM where I could just watch like 15 a row in a lazy day and not see a huge slip in quality like someone who watches it week to week.

To add on to the end of your point, I'm excited to see three months down the road as far as how people enjoyed House of Cards that watched it weekly/biweekly vs. people who took it all in over a weekend. Think there will be a lot of disconnect?

I mean, just look at the number of responses in the House of Cards thread vs. most other shows. The discussion isn't there, even if the content might be.

Why is this considered the Golden Age of television? The Wire, The Sopranos, and Deadwood are all over. Seinfeld was fifteen years ago.

I tend to agree with the person the AV Club writer is discussing. I am not going to start watching Treme or Boardwalk Empire until they are over because I have a job and other things to do than to wait for other seasons and plan all of that out. I would rather take in the whole thing over the course of a few weeks, maybe an episode or two a day. I wouldn't read a book or watch a movie over the course of six years, either.

I think those 3 shows would still count in this period.

Away, I definitely don't have the mindset that you do about waiting til the end, but I do see where you're coming from. A lot of factors add into that. First is that I like the discussion on here and with my friends that happens week to week. I like the speculation and everyone watching it at the same time. Second, I don't think I have the self control to take a show slowly, and as I said above it could potentially be detrimental to my viewing of the show. I wish I was coherent enough at that age to watch The Wire or The Sopranos week to week as it aired. I caught the tail end of Sopranos
11:48 PM on 02/09/13 
User Info.
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
Portland, OR
Male - 21 Years Old
I bought Deadwood after hearing how good it was and didn't really enjoy it after "marathoning" the first season with my roommates. It definitely seems like a show that I need to watch an episode or two at a time and think about, rather than a show like HIMYM where I could just watch like 15 a row in a lazy day and not see a huge slip in quality like someone who watches it week to week.

you're talking about two very different types of shows. one that kills brain cells and one that is good television. I watched Deadwood in two weeks time back in 2009 and I loved it just as much as I do now going through it one episode a day. There is no correlation between a person's enjoyment of a show and how they watch it. It's ridiculous to think that. I'm sure there are many things that factored into your not being able to enjoy Deadwood. Not the least of which being that you don't have very good taste
12:12 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
you're talking about two very different types of shows. one that kills brain cells and one that is good television. I watched Deadwood in two weeks time back in 2009 and I loved it just as much as I do now going through it one episode a day. There is no correlation between a person's enjoyment of a show and how they watch it. It's ridiculous to think that. I'm sure there are many things that factored into your not being able to enjoy Deadwood. Not the least of which being that you don't have very good taste

Everything you said was objective and correct
12:21 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
Portland, OR
Male - 21 Years Old
Everything you said was objective and correct

Oh no, I know.
06:01 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
themagicrat
Winnie Cooper is a goddamned whore
Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
I think there's a problem with what the networks are choosing to put on. The vast majority of it is utter garbage, yet they seem to be confused as to why it doesn't work. NBC pushed Do No Harm in a very extreme way, yet it had the lowest debut of any show on the four major networks in history, because it was terrible.

I don't think there can really be "must see TV" again because the culture doesn't really support it. However, that doesn't mean that there can't be very successful shows. People don't generally want to watch shows where the characters are just stereotypes (CBS' Partners) or shows where the premise is utterly ridiculous (NBC's Do No Harm). The networks need to learn to adapt or they will die. NBC seems content with dying as they've shown with 1600 Penn and Deception, both of which no one watches and both of which are pretty bad.
06:57 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
SteveMLepore
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
Why is this considered the Golden Age of television? The Wire, The Sopranos, and Deadwood are all over. Seinfeld was fifteen years ago.

I tend to agree with the person the AV Club writer is discussing. I am not going to start watching Treme or Boardwalk Empire until they are over because I have a job and other things to do than to wait for other seasons and plan all of that out. I would rather take in the whole thing over the course of a few weeks, maybe an episode or two a day. I wouldn't read a book or watch a movie over the course of six years, either.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Louie, Community, Parks & Rec.
07:17 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
surfwaxsideshow
Male - 25 Years Old
There is no correlation between a person's enjoyment of a show and how they watch it. It's ridiculous to think that.

I know the rest of your post was a bit tongue in cheek so I'm not sure this was a serious statement, but I definitely think you're wrong if so. While marathoning shouldn't/can't change the quality of the show as a whole, it makes a huge difference for shows where there's a handful of weak episodes. Being able to gloss over the bad ones by hitting next makes an enormous difference in my and surely many others' enjoyment of a series. I don't think it's coincidence that most of the Community episodes that strike me as the worst came after I got caught up to speed with its initial airing, or that I like post season-3 HIMYM more than seemingly everyone who watched it from the beginning, or that I know many people who bitched about The Office every week from season 4 on who have since rewatched it and commented that the legendary dropoff they remembered barely existed upon second viewing.

The more objective viewer is going to take note of this. But it was certainly surprising to me when I realized it, guilty of it myself.
08:21 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Connecticut
Male - 17 Years Old
Network television has the issue that it has become more ratings based than quality based. I think that's partially based off the fact that the climate is so uneven, with NBC having multiple minus 5 million shows of high quality compared to CBS and their multiple 10 million plus shows of comparatively lower quality, and the rise of cable and premium has affected this as well. Since cable and premium isn't affected by viewers as much, it is more common to see people using Netflix to watch Homeland or Boardwalk Empire instead of watching Showtime or HBO, and this idea has carried over to network TV, which has weakened its ratings standards. With Netflix dipping their toe into original shows, this has opened up the world of shows. In the end, I think I'm saying in the future we'll see a lot of shows with mediocre standards compared to today, instead of a few huge shows.
08:37 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I can't say much about the original programming that's already being produced but, to me, the main thing that would indicate a wholesale shift, at least in format if not production, is how there seems to be a growing trend of people using catch-up services rather than watching stuff live.
09:04 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
chiefjordo
Go Gophers!

I'm not disputing that Netflix makes a lot of money or that they can't take financial risks. But one could argue that a 100 million dollar expense on House of Cards would need to lead to 100 million dollars of additional (beyond what would've subscribed) subscriptions or renewals just for that. Otherwise it's just another asset in the streaming library... but it's not, it's one that they paid 9 figures for.

I think it's awesome that they're able to take the risk. And I'm sure having original content, particularly well-received original content, has intangible brand effects that could indirectly lead to additional subscribers. But if there's not an increase/retention beyond expected that offsets those high costs, I just don't see how it's profitable for them to spend that much on one of hundreds of options for people.

I did read through a lot of that- interesting stuff, particularly the Q & A. One thing I had wondered when thinking of HoC was whether they'd be able to earn through DVDs, but the Q&A kinda implied that those rights are owned by a different party.

Edit: I actually just considered the fact that, by releasing it all at once, they are completely at odds with their "one month free trial". If someone wanted Netflix to binge HoC, they could easily do so in one month, and then leave, never paying a dime... Of course, they could get hooked to the service as a whole, but it just makes it weirder to me.

I'm sure they (Netflix) must believe that these original content investments are monetarily beneficial for them, whether directly or indirectly through brand image, but I just wish I understood. I am happy to just sit and enjoy the content, though, I'll say that much!
09:56 AM on 02/10/13 
User Info.
nowFace
We paved the roads.
Southern California
Male - 23 Years Old
For me its just more practical. Having work and school makes me incapable of actually live viewing some of my favorite programs, so it just gets to the point where my television viewing has been reliant on my computer. I mean, most of my favorite shows came out of binge viewing rather than actually watching it on television. It's not so much what the network heads are doing wrong, the fact of the matter is that entertainment shows are going to find a more accessible medium.

This.
05:42 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I watch everything on my TV through a Roku. Netflix, Hulu and my USB import are all I need. I can't imagine why anyone would watch live TV in 2013 unless it's sports, awards ceremony, etc...
06:14 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
This is the natural progression of media entertainment. All of us watch TV way differently than our parents ever did at our ages.
06:54 AM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
This is the natural progression of media entertainment. All of us watch TV way differently than our parents ever did at our ages.

or their parents who watched TV on the AM dial

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version