@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Wanna stop scalpers? Take note FoB:

http://www.laughspin.com/2012/07/03/...isk-exclusive/
09:36 AM on 02/10/13
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
Apples to oranges. Hard to enact that same policies that a largely reserved seated comedy show uses for a GA venue.
Not really. Louie sells his tickets for $45 for every seat, whether first row or last row. A GA venue has no seats and no real order of where you can view the show. Have FoB sell each seat for $40 and have a will call pickup option only. Have the fan bring a confirmation email and a valid form of ID. For people younger than 17 or 18 without any ID, have their parents show the credit card used for the purchase. Only drawback from this is long lines but if the doors are at 7, start at 5:30 and have the people wait in an inside the venue area until the doors are open.
09:38 AM on 02/10/13
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
exact person I thought of when this whole thing was going on. "Hopefully this isn't your only chance to see us and hopefully by the time you do, there's some better way to fight back against scalping." - some better way? will call and ID, and even selling directly from your website. seems like there already is a better way to prevent this. either way, it was great that they even took the time to comment....seeing how every comment on their FOB page was people complaining about this (and rightfully so), i was hoping they wouldn't ignore it.

Do any bands do strict will call only for this exact reason? could this only work for bands on certain levels?
I think some bands do something like that. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head though. I believe bands do this during special intimate shows where the only way you can get a pass is through a fan club.
11:21 AM on 02/10/13
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
The part about canceling orders if people resell them works for a reserved show but not GA. It's easier to cancel orders if you know seat location, which somr secondary sellers will list.

And for the record, multiple shows on the FOB tour are will-call only
That's a valid point. I mean, it's still something new but they'll perfect something within the next 3-5 years.
12:22 PM on 02/10/13
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
This is practically what they did at our venue, in fact, it's probably a tad more extreme. All tickets are will-call, day of the show only and you're not allowed to hand off the tickets as you pick them up. You can't transfer them into somebody else's name after they're purchased, either.

I do understand the need to curb scalpers, but I'm not a fan of the fact that if I have an emergency I can't pass them off to friends or family, or even sell them at cost like Louie allows.
I'm trying to think of ways to make this less extreme but I can't. Even if you want to hand off the tickets, it doesn't stop the person from selling them to someone and then handing it off. For selling online, they should only have one website for people to resell tickets. In order to re-sell, you must provide your real name and a new ticket confirmation number listed on the hard ticket or the confirmation email. That way they can regulate the amount you can or can't sell it for. Probably the best solution I can think of. There's also a ton of holes in that too. Wouldn't surprise me if they scan fingerprints in the near future.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos