Username
Password

07:35 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Convince me why raising the minimum wage would be a good thing for the US, or convince me why it would be a bad thing. GO
07:36 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I will declare a winner by the end of the week and Obama will act accordingly
07:47 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
So you'll skew the polls?

I think that it should be tied to CPI. Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

But wouldn't a wage change in itself affect the CPI?
07:53 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
The only people who would want an increase in minimum wage are the workers who are being paid the current minimum wage now. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, of the 73.9 million American hourly-paid workers, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour and about 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.

Weird that number doesn't include those making minimum wage where teh minimum is above 7.25

Quote:
Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

Only 5.2 percent of the work force. Why should we care about only a small percent?

Not sure if serious, but that's definitely a large portion.
07:56 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
If you are over the age of 18 and you make minimum wage, you are doing something wrong.

What do you say about areas where a store like Walmart comes in and monopolizes all the unskilled jobs and effectively lowering the average wage of the area?
07:57 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
What would be the cons of tying minimum wage to the relative size of the company?
08:05 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Taken from an op-ed:

There, I just reduced the minimum wage earners to 1.5% of the work force. Is that still a "large portion"?

Why does it matter how large the portion is?
08:06 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
The cons would be that everyone and their brother would be trying to get a job at Wal-Mart and no one would want to work at Joe's Corner Store

But there isn't an infinite amount of jobs, so many would be forced to go to Joe's Corner store no? Instead of 10 people making minimum youd have 3 making minimum and 7 making more than minimum?
08:09 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I would ask how much to propose we pay an unskilled worker to work a cash register?

Its my job to ask the questions birdbro.

What if (not saying it is or isnt) a states minimum wage is not mathematically high enough to allow someone to afford to better their education and get a better job?
08:10 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I would think it would stabilize eventually . Either way, a full-time job should not allow you to still be below the poverty level. Attaching it to something allows, the minimum wage to change more frequently and more accurately as opposed to waiting for congress and the White House to do something.

And why wouldn't this cause terrible inflation?
08:13 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Because raising the minimum wage will pass on the costs onto the consumers. Why should we risk lowering consumer confidence and potentially harm the economy if we only give 1.5% of the workforce a pay raise?

This could be a dangerous line of thinking if you look at it from a social perspective.
08:18 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Do you want to pay $10 for a hamburger just so McDonald's worker gets a 20% increase?

Would that necessarily happen though? That's what I'm hoping to get out of this discussion.
08:23 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I would counter by saying that minimum wage is a starting point mostly enjoyed by by those working their first part-time jobs under the age of 18.

So if you have work experience and are over the age of 18 and you are still stuck at minimum wage, then in my experience, there is something you aren't doing right. I stopped making minimum wage when I was 15, I have never known a single person over the age of 18 who made minimum wage.

"In my experience" isn't that strong an argument. I'm trying to take myself of a my middle-class northeastern bobble for perspective:

Lets say little kyleishk lives in Mississippi. In this small town I don't have a wealthy family who can pay for my education. In this town, a store like Walmart has moved in and put much of the smaller shops out of business. Now most all of the jobs that don't require a college education are monopolized by minimum-wage paying Walmart. I'd like to earn more money but that's very hard without higher education, which I can't afford since I'm stuck at a minimum wage job. What about this cycle?
08:24 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I've just been playing devil's advocate in this thread. The $10 hamburger was taken from fox news article commenters.

You're devils advocating my devils advocating?? We might break something
08:27 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I'm more concerned with fulltime workers living in poverty than some inflation that may result from trying to prevent that.

But if there's too much inflation wont they just be making X+2 dollars in poverty instead of X dollars in poverty?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos