09:33 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
10:06 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
This is gonna be great lads! Really looking forward to reading the first feature! The playlist you've put together is full of great artists, so I'm sure this'll be awesome.

Thanks brother. Feel free to toss out a few recommendations if you have a record you'd like to see us discuss. And thanks for putting the idea on the table.

this sort of sounds like what i did with retro reviews except not necessarily a review. i mean, the retro reviews were less traditional in that sense anyway, i basically just talked about records i really liked and about their impact.

Really enjoyed those. Especially the Springsteen retrospective.
10:23 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
While I am totally amped for this feature, one thing that's always confused my about this site is the implied need for exposure of other genres. While I appreciate that diversity is important and people do have varied musical tastes, this site is aptly named absolutepunk so I don't understand why there needs to be more hip-hop/country/R&B/whatever reviews.

Putting it simply, if I wanted to get updates or album reviews for another genre, I would go to a website dedicated to that.

I don't mean to sound pretentious or bigoted or closed-minded (although I'm sure I do) but I simply can't grasp the need for threads about Frank Ocean's new album or fun. at the grammies.
I don't know if I speak for everyone, but as a writer for this site, I would hate the idea of exclusively covering punk or pop-punk records. We write about what moves us, and sometimes that's the latest Wonder Years or Dangerous Summer record, but a lot of times--more often, probably--it's not. This site has been growing into other genre coverage for a long time, and this feature is merely an extension of that.

But if you only want to read about stuff under the punk or pop-punk umbrella, that's fine too. Just know you're going to have to side-step more material than you would have when this site started.
10:27 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I also would like to point out that without several of my picks on this list none of your favorite bands would exist today. No exaggeration at all. More to come on that....
True story.
12:28 PM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
This. And this feature is really awesome.

In the end it's very easy to scroll past things you don't like too.

Glad to have your support.

This seems like a great idea to me. Has potential to be a really great column. It's nice to see the site branching out into other genres the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm no veteran on these forums, I think I joined last summer or something, but even in that timeframe I've seen it change- albeit slightly. It's a step in the right direction. I have two fears though- one being that it strays too far from its roots. What I mean by that is it only ends up covering bands or artists of a certain size and the smaller bands who are coming up in their respective scene start getting phased out. I don't think that'll happen, but if it did it would suck. The other concern would be (and this is probably due to my being on mobile where that playlist isn't showing) that this idea turns into a weekly discussion of the same old classics everyone already knows about (I.E. Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, etc). Everybody already knows about these things. I'm hoping this column will introduce me to some bands from other eras that I haven't heard and could potentially love.

No Hendrix on the list, but we are planning on doing some Stones at some point. I think you'd be surprised, though, at how many people haven't given a record like Exile on Main St. a fair shake. We assume most people have heard the classics we know and love, but that's not the case. So many people just don't listen to anything that came out before they were born, and even out of some that do, there are people who listen much, without really engaging, and then move on. Our goal with this feature is to counteract that mentality and to inspire some deeper conversation and discovery concerning these albums, and like I wrote in the intro, we've got some really renowned classics here and some less heralded, lesser-known gems. We didn't want the list to be entirely made up of stuff people know and love already, but we also didn't want it to be entirely populated by unknowns.

Man.....i shoulda wrote a "break up" piece for V-Day and talked about Blood On The Tracks

There's still time!

thank you. that feature took up a significant chunk out of an entire month for me haha. slightly younger thomas was a weird guy.

Well you know, there are worst ways to spend a month than reviewing all of the Springsteen records. I started a retrospective of him on my blog ages ago and I've only made it to Tunnel of Love. They get good hits though, so when I get around to writing them, it's always rewarding.
01:57 PM on 02/19/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Counting Crows AAEA was close to flawless. Also, I know they're still "popular", Weezers blue album is incredible. This feature sounds great! Songs from MY youth, finally!

AAEA is flawless. At least how I see it. I've listened to it some 80 or 90 times probably, I still can't find a flaw.

August definitely borders on perfection. Only way I think I could like it more is if the title track had made the cut. Hard to believe that album is turning 20 this year.
06:33 PM on 02/19/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'm going to agree with you there, buddy. The title track definitely should have made it. And yeah, wow. 20 years old. That's wild.
I'd do a lot to get my hands on a studio recording of "August," though I think the primary live version they circulated is pretty close to perfect as is. You ever hear the bootleg of the show they did at the Disney Concert Hall? With full orchestra?
06:33 PM on 02/19/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
08:49 PM on 02/19/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
No I have not. But now I want to. Badly.
I think the link I used back in the day was megaupload, so that's bust. But I'll upload it for you tomorrow if you shoot me a reminder.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests