Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 88
11:14 AM on 02/13/13
RandomGui
SESAME STREET HARDCORE CREW
User Info.
Last week, as Drew and Jason scoured the boards for a new hip-hop reviewer, for someone who could bring a much-needed voice to a genre that never gets enough credit, discussion, or exposure around these parts
While I am totally amped for this feature, one thing that's always confused my about this site is the implied need for exposure of other genres. While I appreciate that diversity is important and people do have varied musical tastes, this site is aptly named absolutepunk so I don't understand why there needs to be more hip-hop/country/R&B/whatever reviews.

Putting it simply, if I wanted to get updates or album reviews for another genre, I would go to a website dedicated to that.

I don't mean to sound pretentious or bigoted or closed-minded (although I'm sure I do) but I simply can't grasp the need for threads about Frank Ocean's new album or fun. at the grammies.
11:15 AM on 02/13/13
Nuns On A Bus
`
User Info.
:)
11:16 AM on 02/13/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Oh yay.
11:17 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Missed Masterpieces Monday?
Haha not quite the same is it?

While I am totally amped for this feature, one thing that's always confused my about this site is the implied need for exposure of other genres. While I appreciate that diversity is important and people do have varied musical tastes, this site is aptly named absolutepunk so I don't understand why there needs to be more hip-hop/country/R&B/whatever reviews.

Putting it simply, if I wanted to get updates or album reviews for another genre, I would go to a website dedicated to that.

I don't mean to sound pretentious or bigoted or closed-minded (although I'm sure I do) but I simply can't grasp the need for threads about Frank Ocean's new album or fun. at the grammies.
This site is not constrained to one genre or style of music, despite the title. If you haven't noticed that then quite frankly you haven't been paying attention. Personally, I would love to see this site move in a direction where it covers all other kinds of music equally alongside the typical AP.net stuff. And there are some who agree with me, and certainly some who don't, but this is primarily designed to expose people to new music they haven't heard before, and I don't think that's ever a bad thing.
11:18 AM on 02/13/13
gman610
Second Best
User Info.
Incredible playlist. This'll be great.
11:18 AM on 02/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
RandGui wants to UPDAPUNX

Wrong site pal
11:23 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

I don't know if I speak for everyone, but as a writer for this site, I would hate the idea of exclusively covering punk or pop-punk records. We write about what moves us, and sometimes that's the latest Wonder Years or Dangerous Summer record, but a lot of times--more often, probably--it's not. This site has been growing into other genre coverage for a long time, and this feature is merely an extension of that.

But if you only want to read about stuff under the punk or pop-punk umbrella, that's fine too. Just know you're going to have to side-step more material than you would have when this site started.
11:25 AM on 02/13/13
RandomGui
SESAME STREET HARDCORE CREW
User Info.
This site is not constrained to one genre or style of music, despite the title. If you haven't noticed that then quite frankly you haven't been paying attention. Personally, I would love to see this site move in a direction where it covers all other kinds of music equally alongside the typical AP.net stuff. And there are some who agree with me, and certainly some who don't, but this is primarily designed to expose people to new music they haven't heard before, and I don't think that's ever a bad thing.

RandGui wants to UPDAPUNX

Wrong site pal
I follow the twitter and when I see something that's interesting I come in and view the thread. I joined very late last year, so I'm not a veteran member or particularly or active and I don't browse the forums.

I'm all for music diversity and equality, perhaps I just haven't appreciated how absolutepunk works, it was just my impression that it was punk news I guess (then again there is punknews for that...)

And I definitely agree about exposure, I've discovered a good few bands through absolutepunk and I think it's absolutely great!
11:26 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I also would like to point out that without several of my picks on this list none of your favorite bands would exist today. No exaggeration at all. More to come on that....

I follow the twitter and when I see something that's interesting I come in and view the thread. I joined very late last year, so I'm not a veteran member or particularly or active and I don't browse the forums.

I'm all for music diversity and equality, perhaps I just haven't appreciated how absolutepunk works, it was just my impression that it was punk news I guess (then again there is punknews for that...)

And I definitely agree about exposure, I've discovered a good few bands through absolutepunk and I think it's absolutely great!
Yeah Punknews.org is definitely a different kind of site. Still very good obviously, but they do something different than what we do.

Awesome man, looking forward to talking about these records with all of y'all when the feature launches!
11:27 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I also would like to point out that without several of my picks on this list none of your favorite bands would exist today. No exaggeration at all. More to come on that....
True story.
11:27 AM on 02/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Well welcome and hope you discover some good stuff.
11:32 AM on 02/13/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Could very easily become the column I read most on AP.net
11:32 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Just a quick note and a slight change: this feature will actually be running on Tuesdays as opposed to Mondays, so the first edition will be this Tuesday, Feb. 19th. Carry on.
11:46 AM on 02/13/13
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
Gonna make a Spotify version later today
Thank you for this. Spotify is free and the way to go.
11:47 AM on 02/13/13
surette
kill the switch
User Info.
Really looking forward to this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT