Username
Password
fun. News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
fun.
Inside AP.net

Show Review: fun. / Charlie Brand

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (02/14/13)
Read our show review of the February 12th Austin stop of fun.'s show with Charlie Brand. You can check out the photos here.
Now, up until this point, I’ve wondered about the longevity of fun.’s insane fame. With Some Nights being – in my opinion – one of the best pop albums in the last 5+ years, the guys have a lot on their plates. However, coming off of 2 Grammys and an already-platinum record, I think it’s safe to say fun. are here to stay…for a long time. After seeing their live show, I am certain they’ll stay on top.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:47 AM on 02/14/13
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
Good review, I saw Miniature Tigers open up for fun. at Mercury Lounge a few years ago. The pairing was fabulous.

It's too bad fun. doesn't play their best songs ("Be Calm", "Benson Hedges") much anymore. I'd like to catch them with Tegan and Sara, I hope they shake things up a bit and put together a better setlist. Is "Some Nights" the full thing, or just the non-intro track?
07:51 AM on 02/14/13
atlastitsok
User Info.
Ill be seeing them when they come through AZ. Doubt they will, but if Nate busted out a format song for the hometown crowd i would die
07:58 AM on 02/14/13
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
Ill be seeing them when they come through AZ. Doubt they will, but if Nate busted out a format song for the hometown crowd i would die
When they had less fun. material to draw from, it wasn't uncommon to see "Dog Problems" or "The First Single". It would definitely be a nice gesture to do in Arizona as a "thanks for supporting us".

Unfortunately, I bet the crowds that flock to see fun. rarely know much of the material pre-Some Nights, nevermind from a different band.
08:01 AM on 02/14/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
When they had less fun. material to draw from, it wasn't uncommon to see "Dog Problems" or "The First Single". It would definitely be a nice gesture to do in Arizona as a "thanks for supporting us".

Unfortunately, I bet the crowds that flock to see fun. rarely know much of the material pre-Some Nights, nevermind from a different band.
Man that would have been awesome to see

Good review, I saw Miniature Tigers open up for fun. at Mercury Lounge a few years ago. The pairing was fabulous.

It's too bad fun. doesn't play their best songs ("Be Calm", "Benson Hedges") much anymore. I'd like to catch them with Tegan and Sara, I hope they shake things up a bit and put together a better setlist. Is "Some Nights" the full thing, or just the non-intro track?
Just the "Some Nights" song. Not intro.
08:10 AM on 02/14/13
atlastitsok
User Info.

the format got pretty big locally - if they busted out the first single or give it up i think a large portion of the crowd would be on board. a man can dream
08:29 AM on 02/14/13
CavanaughPark
Hey, I'm doing alright.
User Info.
the format got pretty big locally - if they busted out the first single or give it up i think a large portion of the crowd would be on board. a man can dream

I think the last time I remember them playing a Format song was at Devilpalooza...so over 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen now. Especially considering the 6 AZ shows they played after that had no TF songs in the setlist. :(

I'd love to hear it too, though. One of my friends saw Fun a ton in their early days, and she's seen them do The First Single, Dog Problems, Snails, If Work Permits, Time Bomb, and She Doesn't Get It. (at separate shows, of course. but still. forever jealous.)
08:38 AM on 02/14/13
dennk018
dennk018
User Info.
I saw them in Orlando in December '10. They played Aim & Ignite straight through. Also played Dog Problems, Oceans, Time Bomb, The First Single. That was amazing
08:57 AM on 02/14/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Yeah, I don't think they'll play any more Format songs. He said in a webchat a while ago the only reason they used to was because they didn't have enough fun. songs yet. I'd love to get to hear them live one day though.
08:59 AM on 02/14/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
and I really hope they still have "Stars" and "What the Fuck" in the setlist when they come over here in April.
09:11 AM on 02/14/13
SeanEBoy2686
twitter = SeanAndHeard
User Info.
I think the last time I remember them playing a Format song was at Devilpalooza...so over 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen now. Especially considering the 6 AZ shows they played after that had no TF songs in the setlist. :(

I'd love to hear it too, though. One of my friends saw Fun a ton in their early days, and she's seen them do The First Single, Dog Problems, Snails, If Work Permits, Time Bomb, and She Doesn't Get It. (at separate shows, of course. but still. forever jealous.)
When I saw them open for Jack's Mannequin after they first formed and didn't have an album out, they did a few songs from The Format in their set... it was great.
10:18 AM on 02/14/13
BensonHedges
Registered Member
User Info.
They did "Dog Problems" on the tour where Steel Train opened. I think that was late '10?
10:26 AM on 02/14/13
Buscemi Knows Best
You owe me a Sausage McMuffin.
User Info.

That would be awesome if they still do Format songs. When they toured on Aim & Ignite I saw them twice and got to hear them play Snails, Dog Problems, If Work Permits, and The First Single. And it was awesome. Doubt they'll dig that deep anymore. Last I saw them a few months back they didn't touch any Format stuff.
10:14 PM on 02/17/13
Tap Dat App
Believers Never Die, Bro
User Info.
Man that would have been awesome to see

Just the "Some Nights" song. Not intro.
Why the hell does it seem like they never play intro?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests