Username
Password

10:23 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
esposimi
The System Is Down
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Was just about to post this. The answer to your problems is in your BIOS.

Windows XP is notorious for not wanting to run properly in AHCI mode. Depending on the type of BIOS you have, the option should look something like this.

Also, I would look into running Windows XP on a virtual machine. I have a pre-existing load that I took a Ghost image of and imported it into Vmware Workstation on my Windows 7 machine with 16GB. Having an SSD helps a ton also!
06:43 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
EffigyOMA
No Avatar Selected
Rockford, IL
Male - 29 Years Old
If he's custom building a PC, he doesn't want a Mac.

Yeah, you don't tell a Mac-addict to buy a PC and you don't tell a system builder to buy a Mac.

Also, this is a hardware problem so it can occur on any computer--even the Mac. I fix several Macs every year in addition to PCs. My friends with Macs that come to me for help never see it coming.

I've been building systems for 12 years now, and believe me when I say if you put a modest investment in to it you will build something that blows anything sold at a store out of the water for a fraction of the price.

I can tell you that this problem is likely hardware related. You possibly have a conflict with the RAM or an I/O device. The first thing you should do is remove one of your sticks of ram and try booting. This will eliminate the 32-bit limitation of your OS as a variable in the problem.

Also, try using each stick individually, this is a symptom of RAM failure, one of your sticks might be bad.

Things like internal memory card readers and network cards could be producing an error with the memory as well. Additionally, any USB devices you have plugged in can trip stop errors and boot up.

I recommend doing this: remove every external device you have connected to the computer (save the keyboard and monitor) and see if the error reoccurs. Next, you should try to remove all internal parts that you possibly can and try booting after you remove each part.
You should be down to just your CPU, motherboard, videocard (to connect to the monitor, if you have a build in videocard, remove the videocard too and try using the onboard for the monitor), one stick of RAM, and your hard drive that you are booting from.

If that doesn't work, you might have to reformat your hard drive. Your install could be busted.

I also recommend trying to boot to Linux with a USB drive. You can find out about that process here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

I often try to boot to Linux when diagnosing to eliminate hardware issues (64-bit Linux will work with your 8GB of RAM)

Hopefully something on here will help you. good luck!
07:18 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
bernie16wb
Ohio
Male - 25 Years Old
What's the reasoning for wanting XP over 7? Especially given the RAM issues.
08:06 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
If my PC didn't break, I'd still have it. Kinda glad it did because I love my MacBook. It was worth the money! Lol

I made the switch 5 years ago, and I haven't looked back.
08:23 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Why are all of these mac fan-people clownin'? Obnoxious.

What's the reasoning for wanting XP over 7? Especially given the RAM issues.

I don't get it either. That said, 4 gigs of RAM is plenty for XP unless OP is into video editing or MSFS.
09:30 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
West Mitten
Male - 25 Years Old
09:58 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Why are all of these mac fan-people clownin'? Obnoxious.

I don't get it either. That said, 4 gigs of RAM is plenty for XP unless OP is into video editing or MSFS.
yeah but he has 16 so it wouldnt make sense to limit himself to only using 4 when he's already got 4 times that
10:22 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
stuffsux00
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah, you don't tell a Mac-addict to buy a PC and you don't tell a system builder to buy a Mac.

Also, this is a hardware problem so it can occur on any computer--even the Mac. I fix several Macs every year in addition to PCs. My friends with Macs that come to me for help never see it coming.

I've been building systems for 12 years now, and believe me when I say if you put a modest investment in to it you will build something that blows anything sold at a store out of the water for a fraction of the price.

THIS and everything else he said. still, PC > Mac
02:20 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
EffigyOMA
No Avatar Selected
Rockford, IL
Male - 29 Years Old
THIS and everything else he said. still, PC > Mac

I have a few friends who build Hackintoshes--they end up paying about 1/4 to 1/8th the price for the same hardware. Insanity! I've never built one myself so I can't vouch for it.
02:29 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
I have a few friends who build Hackintoshes--they end up paying about 1/4 to 1/8th the price for the same hardware. Insanity! I've never built one myself so I can't vouch for it.
I thought about triple booting with one of the OSs being OSX (thus making it a hackintosh) but I prefer AMD CPUs and it takes a lot more work to get OSX working on and AMD chip, since Macs are made pretty exclusively with Intels now.
03:25 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
PA
Male - 24 Years Old
^He could be right. Also, do they're running chkdsk jazz...

also, xp doesn't natively support ahci for hard drives, which i'm guessing your new motherboard automatically chose. you'll have to switch the mode to ide initially and then change around some drivers if you want.

I fixed it then, and this was it. I had to switch the SATA to IDE.

side note to everyone else: mac's blow.
05:17 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
yeah but he has 16 so it wouldnt make sense to limit himself to only using 4 when he's already got 4 times that

Yeah I know but he could always return it because that is overkill.
05:27 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah I know but he could always return it because that is overkill.
He'd be much better off upgrading to 7
05:52 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
He'd be much better off upgrading to 7

Yeah but that is increasing his cost, not decreasing it. I am surprised he didn't obtain a copy for this pc.
08:25 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
schaft
iESTOY POOPIN!
Telling a person who custom built their PC and is having a hard time getting the OS to install to guy buy a Mac is like telling someone having problems starting their $5,000 Honda Civic to go buy a $25,000 Lexus.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos