AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 20 posts
01:20 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
the only one remotely close to being remembered in 7 years is fun.
In our scene I bet Horrible Crowes and Menzingers are remembered.

The others ... meh ... the others I could see like Mest, the "remember those guys" bands.
01:25 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think Horrible Crowes, only because of TGA if that counts. And I still don't feel like Menzingers are that well known outside this website, they just don't feel "big" to me... yet
I don't think that's the point though ... I think it's the bands within this scene that are seen as classic albums, not the mainstream. The ones that in 10 years we'll be talking about like we do "Deja" and "Futures" and "is a Real Boy ..." now.
01:25 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Bring Me the Horizon? Is that album really special (not being smart ass, general inquiry)
I don't think so. But that's just me.
01:30 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Japandroids, Bon Iver, Phoenix, Gaslight Anthem, Young the Giant(?), The National, Frank Turner, Radiohead, My Chem.

Some others off the top of my head that I think have a good shelf life.
01:31 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I enjoyed it a lot. It's a bit poppier and more mainstream but definitely a fun listen.
For what it is ... I would absolutely agree ... it's well done.
01:32 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I was thinking "The Black Parade" ... which I now realize is 7 years old, what the fuck happened to time!?
01:33 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I get that part, but I still don't feel like the Menzingers album will hit that status really, but i guess that's just from my viewpoint
Maybe. I hope it does - in a lot of ways - because it's that damn good.

I think it may be one of those cult classic albums. Like, if you know it - you know it - and no one else has any idea what the fuck you're talking about.
01:35 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Frank Ocean and Kendrick will be most remembered from 2012 mainstream-wise.
Fun, hands down, has 2012 locked up. "We Are The Young" was the biggest song of the year.
01:37 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'd say Japandroid - CR, Frank Turner - EKMB, Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, Mansions - Dig Up Your Dead, Portugal. The Man - In The Mountains In The Clouds. I know it's soon but I'd throw Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse in there too it is just brilliant start to finish.
That album's so good it makes other music so far look pathetic.

01:42 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
fun didn't have the critical reception though that will lead to it being thought of as a classic like the other records are.

What?! Haha. Yes it did.
01:42 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Haha, exactly. We started the list at 2010. Man, I was only 12 when Black Parade came out?

That is hilarious.
01:53 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
It is just you. That album is easily one of the best heavy albums (all around albums for me) to come out in a long time. Every second of it oozes classic.

This whole concept is going to be very relative based on one's tastes obviously. I love maybe 1/2 of those entires but BMTH is the only classic for me. I agree with the person who said Marianas Trench's MT would be a classic.

Ok.
01:58 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Serious question, have you even listened to the whole thing? I feel like even the most hardened critic could find something to enjoy about that album.

Yes. "Ex-Lives" is the last hard album I really loved.
02:07 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

21 reviews? Small sample size.
02:08 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/some-nights/fun

I wouldn't say that at all.

edit: well, let me rephrase myself. seemed to get as much negative as positive, but as a whole, it really wasn't close to one of the most acclaimed records of the year.

** By the indie press.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version