Georgedcc - The Brassy Knoll 7 5.93%
Incognitojones - Cat Valium 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

07:49 AM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Right, let's get this finished, or else it'll completely fade from memory. It's been too long as it is.

Top 7 bands from this document, pick your favourite and vote. This vote is open to everyone.

The 7 options are;

1. A Good Beginning (Jake Jenkins)
Jónsi (Sigur Rós) - Vocals, Guitar, Etc.
Anthony Gonzales (M83) - Bass/Keys
Loscil - Production
Aidan Girt (Godspeed You! Black Emperor) - Drums, Percussion
Peter Silberman (The Antlers) - Guitar, Harp, Vocals

Imagine descending below the depths of the ocean in the dead of night, surrounded by nothing but dark blue while being submerged further into the darkness. The water wraps around you, enveloping you, letting you know its there, but never comforting you. It has an oddly warm quality to it, but the feelings it elicits are cold and distant. The life around you treats you like a stranger, a foreign being in a foreign land. You're alienated, you're lost, you're alone. These are just a few of the qualities the music of A Good Beginning may bring about in you. It's ambient, it's post-rock, it's shoegaze, it's experimental, it's electronic, it's anything you want it to be. It ebbs and flows seamlessly with a soundscape backdrop reminiscent of Loscil's solo work with Jonsi's vocals weaving in and out of the sounds. The keys provided by Gonzales play into the atmosphere, the drums of Girt allow the sound to let loose when it calls for it and Gonzales's bass makes the rhythm section a beast all its own. Silberman's contributions on guitar and harp let it die back down when necessary, and his vocals lay behind Jonsi's to give it a certain texture that's hard to find in ambient music with vocals. This isn't music made for easy listening, this is late at night alone in your bedroom with the lights off music. This is the music that touches you the most.

2. Overcast From Giant Apes (KenneyBN)
Mike Kinsella (Cap'n Jazz, American Football, Owen) - Vocals, Guitar, Lyrics
Katie Shanholtzer-Dvorak (The World Is a Beautiful Place...) - Keyboard, Vocals
Keith Latinen (Empire! Empire! I Was A Lonely Estate) - Vocals, Guitar, Trumpet
Chris Hrasky (Explosions in the Sky) - Drums
Nathan Whitman (The Appleseed Cast) - Bass

Overcast From Giant Apes is an emo band fronted by Mike Kinsella. Their music often contains epic, slow, and moody build ups that breaks into very technical guitar work from Kinsella, accompanied by the perfect contrast back up vocals of Keith Latinen. Katie Shanholtzer-Dvorak plays a large role in creating the often "post-rock" influenced ambient sound scaped on her keys, and occasionally she will participate in back up vocals that adds a whole new dynamic to their emo sound . She does an excellent job of switching from emotional piano chords to ambient drone like atmospheres that create an eerie base for Kinsellas guitar work. Chris Hrasky (drums) and Nathan Whitman (bass) combined with Shanholtzer-Dvoraks keyboards create the perfect emo/moody base layer for Kinsella and Latinen to harmonize off of eachother, both vocally and on their guitars.
The over all sound of Overcast From Giant Apes could be described by the following: the mellow buildups of American Football with additional ambient soundscapes from keyboards or sometimes piano chords. The heart wrenching vocals/lyrics of Mike Kinsella being harmonized by Keith Latinen who also adds additional guitar work, making their sound even bigger. The post-rock like buildups being driven by the subtly increasing volume of Chris Hraskys drumming that we see so much of in Explosions In The Sky, being supported by a emo/post-rock veteran Nathan Whitman on bass. Nathan Whitman never has difficulty creating extremely technical and original bass lines over Kinsellas unique guitar tuning style.
Look out for their debut full length "I Would Shoot The Moon From The Ground I Stand On", coming this fall on Poly-Vinyl Records.[/quote]

3. Alex Turner's Summer Knights (Numero10)
Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) - Vocals, Guitar
Johnny Marr (The Smiths, The Cribs, Modest Mouse) - Guitar
Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order) - Bass, Synthesizer, Keyboards
David Prowse (Japandroids) - Drums
Troy van Leeuwen (Queens of the Stone Age, A Perfect Circle) - Guitar, Keyboards, Piano, Harp, Lap Steel, Guitar, Violin, Banjo, Cello

The instantly recognisable guitar of Johnny Marr, the driving bass of Peter Hook, the get it done and then get drunk drumming of David Prowse, the eclecticism and pocket-playing of Troy van Leeuwen and, the cherry on top, the poetic lyricism and Sheffield drawl of band leader Alex Turner, 'nuff said. YOLO.

4. Mercury Tango (Chris Collum)
Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) - Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Production
Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) - Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Synthesizer, Organ, Piano, Drums
Ulrich Schnauss - Production, Sampling, Synthesizer, Vocals
Noah Lennox (Animal Collective, Panda Bear) - Drums, Vocals, Sampling, Synthesizer, Guitar
Georg Hólm (Sigur Rós) - Bass, Guitar, Drums, Vocals, Piano, Glockenspiel

"We basically holed up in Noah's place in Portugal for three months and did a ton of really, really good drugs and made even more music. It was a really crazy experience, first off because we had people from four different countries who spoke three different languages. We all agreed on one thing though: that we wanted to make music that sounded like nothing that we had ever heard before. This music is truly supposed to be 'space rock,' it's the sound of the spheres talking to each other. Does that sound like a prickish thing to say or what? [laughs] But anyway, it's not really confined to any genre, either. I for one was really stoked to work on something outside the world of 'rock music,' because I'd kind of been going in that direction with the last Tame Impala record anyway. Having Ulrich there really helped me branch out of my comfort zone and look at the music a little differently. And Justin obviously has a fantastic ear for things in the studio, and his voice is so other-worldly that it fit really well with the music, especially when we manipulated and played around with it a lot. Just don't expect us to play any of this shit live, because we have no fucking idea how we did it." --Kevin Parker on the new project

5. Justin Timberlake Presents The Experience (spiffa0)
Justin Timberlake - Vocals, Guitar
Prince - Guitar, Bass, Saxophone
Alicia Keys - Vocals, Piano
Tony Royster Jr. (Jay-Z) - Drums
Steve Tirpak (John Legend) on Guitar, Brass, Woodwinds

"This year is going to be huge for me. I'm putting out a new album later in the year, and I'm announcing today that myself, Prince, Alicia Keys, Tony Royster Jr, and Steve Tirpak have collaborated on an album and will be playing a few venues later in the year playing the album in it's entirety. We recorded about 30 different songs and 15 made the cut. Some people may look at us and think there's no way that such dynamic and influential personalities could come together and produce a cohesive product. Well they're wrong. This album is pop, it's R&B, and it's fast and it's slow. There are guitars, there's brass, wind instruments, so many different elements coming together to produce something incredible. There's not much more I can say about it. You have to wait and hear. The music is a journey. The music is an experience." -Justin Timberlake

6. The Brassy Knoll (georgedcc)
?uestlove (The Roots) - Drums, Production
Lianne La Havas - Guitar, Vocals
Rufus Wainwright - Piano, Vocals, Guitar
Pino Palladino (John Mayer Trio, The Who) - Bass
Trombone Shorty - Trombone, Horns, Vocals

A brilliant mixture of Soul, R & B, Hip-Hop and pop. The Brassy Knoll came about as the result of a meeting between the two lead singers; Lianne La Havas and Rufus Wainwright. "I was a massive fan of Lianne's debut album", recalls Rufus Wainwright, "I invited her out to New York to work on a few tracks together, but I had no idea it would snowball into something this big". Indeed, when the pair met they found that they clicked perfectly with each other, both on a personal and musical level. Lianne remembers sitting with Rufus and discussing the next step, "I told him that we needed to do something more, make an album together and soon." From there, the duo decided to expand and recruit more members, with ?uestlove being their first port of call, who states "First time I heard the demos they sent me, I knew I had to be involved, this is going to be massive". Completing the group are New Orleans musician Trombone Shorty and legendary bassist Pino Palladino. The group take the best bits of their individual careers and blend them into one loud, exuberant, danceable and funky mix. The group combine Rufus and Lianne's vocals together for maximum effect and their voices are married with the fresh horns of Trombone Shorty and the superb rhythm section of Pino and ?uestlove.

7. Cat Valium (incognitojones)
Diplo - Production, DJ, Songwriting, Vocals
Danny Brown - Vocals
Grimes - Vocals, Keyboards, Synthesizers, Guitar, Bass, Loops, Visuals
Flying Lotus - Production, Turntables, Vocals, Drum Machines, Synths, Keyboards, Etc.
Corin Roddick (Purity Ring) - Production, Drums, Etc.

"So the idea was basically to do a concept album about tripping on ketamine. It only lasts an hour, but its mad hallucinogenic and a lot people say they get to see God. So obviously that was intriguing, and we put together this album to reflect that experience in real time. You start in a club and the songs are pretty standard, but as they progress every thing gets weirder and darker. You have me and Danny doing verses and Grimes singing through the whole thing, but the vibe slowly shifts, the music is what changes, we have a lot of talented producers so we were able to really warp the sound from track to track and within songs actually. Right in the middle of the album, in between a song actually, there's the moment where you "see God", we tried to make that sound like nothing we've ever heard. Then from then on the songs lighten up and everything gets back to normal, only a little off, you're still kind of tripping but really you're a different person because of the experience. We set out to write a soundtrack to capture the journey, and I think we succeeded in that definitely." - Flying Lotus on new project
10:03 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
How long do these polls usually stay open for? I don't see many more people voting, to be honest.
09:15 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
How long are we going to give this before we just declare it over? As it is, Kenney is winning by a small margin, but only Jake or Spiffa0 have the potential to catch him.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos