Password

Album Review

Charlotte Sometimes - Charlotte Sometimes EP Album Cover

Charlotte Sometimes - Charlotte Sometimes EP

Reviewed by
Charlotte Sometimes - Charlotte Sometimes EP
Release Date: March 18, 2008
Record Label: Geffen Records

Charlotte Sometimes, a recently-inked addition to Geffen Records, released her self-titled debut EP this March, a three-song teaser from her upcoming full-length debut. Waves and the Both of Us. The full band notably features Spencer Peterson, formerly the drummer of Hidden In Plain View, behind the kit. Charlotte takes her name from the eponymous 1969 children's novel by Penelope Farmer.

The EP's first song, "How I Could Just Kill a Man," is in fact, not a cover of the 1991 Cypress Hill song. Charlotte's vocals come off remarkably similar to a less rangy Regina Spektor, with this song featuring a foot tapping chorus as she deftly maneuvers through an excellent introduction to a band you've likely never heard before. Of all three songs, this one seems to have the most replayability.

"Waves and the Both of Us," likely the title track from her upcoming full-length, shows another dimension to the songstress vocally. Her range and delivery wanders off the beaten path, which will likely split listeners—those who want to hear a straight pop record and those who want to see it end up a little more underground. "Sweet Valium High," the EP's shortest song at a brisk two minutes and forty-three seconds, brings a bit more sugar to the table, as Charlotte dances between a more brusque delivery and a silky smooth one toward the end, providing an interesting dynamic that won't quite satiate your appetite for the band.

With Charlotte Sometimes playing the entire Warped Tour this year, we're likely to hear plenty more from this band. Based on these three songs (and of course the name), this is Charlotte's band plain and simple. Don't expect lush instrumentals from this teaser EP, but if you'd like to hear from an up-and-coming singer before she breaks who doesn't deliver the same rehashed songs we'd hear on the radio, prepare to be smitten with Charlotte Sometimes' poise and charisma behind the mic, much like her more established contemporaries, Spektor and Leslie Feist.

RIYL: Regina Spektor, Feist, Fiona Apple

Buy the Charlotte Sometimes EP on iTunes

Track List01. How I Could Just Kill a Man
02. Waves and the Both of Us
03. Sweet Valium High
Listen to Charlotte SometimesAP.net Profile | Myspace

This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
03:16 PM on 03/18/08
Jason Tate
User Info.
I like the full-length.

Not really something I expected myself to like, but I ended up liking it anyway.

Good review Tony.
03:42 PM on 03/18/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I have the roughs of her full length i believe. One hell of a singer and a good live act.

Nice write up.
11:37 PM on 03/18/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I like the full-length.

Not really something I expected myself to like, but I ended up liking it anyway.

Good review Tony.
Thanks. I was skeptical when I saw a female artist signed to a major label, but I was pleasantly surprised. She's not your typical pop singer (at least from these three songs) and I'm intrigued to see how the full thing comes out.

I have the roughs of her full length i believe. One hell of a singer and a good live act.

Nice write up.
I'm hoping to catch her on Warped and see how she is live (since I don't think she's coming near me anytime soon).
08:21 AM on 03/19/08
SteveBurg
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
my band played with them last month and they were fantasticcc live
10:32 AM on 03/19/08
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
good review. i'm planning on getting this EP if it's on itunes. and i'm probably going to see them at Bamboozle Left or at some point during Warped.
11:05 AM on 03/19/08
hipvspencer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice review tony :) let us know if you wanna catch a show sometime.
11:43 AM on 03/19/08
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
I'm seeing them on March 30. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all. I'm excited.
01:19 PM on 03/19/08
TylerCeerius
redemptionbrand
User Info.
definately into her. they are really good live too. shes cute too, which helps ha
04:08 PM on 03/19/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
good review. i'm planning on getting this EP if it's on itunes. and i'm probably going to see them at Bamboozle Left or at some point during Warped.
Click the "buy on iTunes" link in my review. It'll take you to buy it.
05:52 PM on 03/19/08
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Good review, Tony. I'll go check this out.
07:28 PM on 03/19/08
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
Click the "buy on iTunes" link in my review. It'll take you to buy it.
oh awesome! thank you! i didnt even see that haha.
01:07 PM on 03/20/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
I really like Charlotte Sometimes. I am definetely going to watch her at Warped Tour.
04:02 PM on 03/20/08
Jason Morales
thankful for grace
User Info.
I too saw them open for The Hush Sound a few weeks ago. They put on a good show and their music is enjoy/tolerable but I am skeptical as to if I would ever like to listen to them in my car or on my iPod, but after this review, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
11:01 AM on 04/26/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT