Username
Password

05:48 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Probably. I think there are some genuinely nice bosses out there who value good workers and treat them well, but I wish more could see the benefits. Personally, every one I've known in fast food has hated it for the reasons I mentioned. I've never worked in fast food so idk. I'm sure that it happens in many different places, but it's still frustrating and wrong imo. Especially when it comes to something like fast food where the employees are often interacting with customers, idk why they'd want them to be so miserable. I've seen so many people screwed over. I just don't get why bosses see that, yeah it may save them some money, but it will ultimately break down the few good employees that are actually there, and they'll be left with the awful ones.

My company does employee appreciation banquets, does raffles pretty often where you can win sports/concert/events tickets, actual perks to being employee of the month, yearly bonus checks for every employee (as long as they've been there for over a month), etc. As a result, most employees have a good attitude and actually want to participate and help out. Sure, there are still a few bad apples, but for the most part I think it really benefits the customers and the business. When employees don't hate their jobs and their lives, they do their jobs better. I just get so frustrated sometimes at sucky bosses haha.

/huge rant

I agree with all this. If I ran a business, I'd make sure my employees (who deserved it) were compensated, and the ones who didn't do shit were fired.

Business owners (especially in food service) for some reason think they have to cut corners when it comes to treating their employees fairly, and in the end it they just wind up screwing themselves.

The only way to keep a good employee is to make them feel like they have a good boss
06:22 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
$30 per hour is plenty of money... my parents have been supporting my family of 6 on that for years and it's always been more than enough.

There is no way in hell your family of 6 is being supported in Boston on only $62,400 per year gross (meaning, before taxes). Have you seen how much life costs? Pfft. That's not even a great salary for a single person in Boston let alone an entire family.

Unless you're on welfare you're barely getting by with that income in most places.

It's actually this way in most jobs. Even higher paying positions. If you are a hard worker who does a good job, then you are going to be asked to take on more and more responsibility... The only thing you can really do is continue to ask for more money every time you are asked to take on a new responsibility, but that really only goes so far... It's the rat race... you could try working for yourself, but it's hard to get something like that started

Soooo sooo true. If you're a hard worker who's quick and smart you will get used like nobody's business, trust me, I know this from experience. Get dumped on with all the work, maybe get a raise here or there, but watch people use your hard work to make them look good. Moving up is all about who you know, not what you know, and a lot of luck. That's all there is to it.
06:46 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
With Aching Looks & Breaking Hearts
Upstate New York
Female - 28 Years Old
There is no way in hell your family of 6 is being supported in Boston on only $62,400 per year gross (meaning, before taxes). Have you seen how much life costs? Pfft. That's not even a great salary for a single person in Boston let alone an entire family.

Unless you're on welfare you're barely getting by with that income in most places.

Soooo sooo true. If you're a hard worker who's quick and smart you will get used like nobody's business, trust me, I know this from experience. Get dumped on with all the work, maybe get a raise here or there, but watch people use your hard work to make them look good. Moving up is all about who you know, not what you know, and a lot of luck. That's all there is to it.

Depends on what you spend your money on. The median cost of a house in boston is 290,00 pre taxes on a 30 yr morgage that is $1400 a month. leaving around $3400 to pay for electricity, gas, car, food, etc. If you prioritize well you can pull it off with 6 people. My husband and I get by well on $28,000 a year, we own our own house in a middle class neighborhood, I am a stay at home mom to our kid, he has everything he would want or need, we drive a new subaru, But we opted to not have smart phones, we only have basic cable, we dont eat out, or spend money on things that arent necessity, AND we have money left over every month for college savings. Maybe you live a spoiled lifestyle and cant sacrifice but that comes with being a parent and NEEDING to provide with what you've got! Keep in mind you get a small fortune for that many kids at tax time, we get over $6500 and we only have one kid.
Rant over.
07:51 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
moonpies87
No Avatar Selected
Male - 26 Years Old
this happened today

me: what time you get off today?
driver: 5
me: no..when you are done with dishes
drver: 5
me: dishes
driver: five
me: you will not leave until dishes are done
driver: they are done!
me: i see a can full of lids and theres a stack of pans still!
driver: ok ok ill do them
me: thank you!!
09:15 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
abbysmith
Que será será
Boston, MA
Female - 20 Years Old

I should've been more clear lol, my family doesn't live in Boston, this is where I'm living for school. My family lives in a much, much cheaper area.
09:59 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
Louisville
Male
i first read this as "i wank off at work"
03:21 AM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
omnipresent
Female
Depends on what you spend your money on. The median cost of a house in boston is 290,00 pre taxes on a 30 yr morgage that is $1400 a month. leaving around $3400 to pay for electricity, gas, car, food, etc. If you prioritize well you can pull it off with 6 people. My husband and I get by well on $28,000 a year, we own our own house in a middle class neighborhood, I am a stay at home mom to our kid, he has everything he would want or need, we drive a new subaru, But we opted to not have smart phones, we only have basic cable, we dont eat out, or spend money on things that arent necessity, AND we have money left over every month for college savings. Maybe you live a spoiled lifestyle and cant sacrifice but that comes with being a parent and NEEDING to provide with what you've got! Keep in mind you get a small fortune for that many kids at tax time, we get over $6500 and we only have one kid.
Rant over.

I'm not sure where you got your data but my Googling showed me that the median home price in Boston in 2012 was $390,000 not $290,000 - and that will buy you a CONDO, seriously. The suburbs are less expensive but realistically I don't know many people who would think it wise to raise a family of more than 3 in a typical condo.

I'm glad that you and your family are able to live comfortably on $28k/yr. in Rochester. That is fantastic and it would be great if it were the norm for the rest of the country. Unfortunately it is not and in order to get by daily as well as save for retirement or emergencies most people are required to earn at least twice that amount. Oh and by the way, I just read in your thread that you bought your home with 100% financing. Sorry to burst your bubble but living in debt does not mean that a low salary is sufficient to get by on. It just means that there are social programs out there which help support people who don't make enough money to live without them. No harm no foul, but let's at least be honest.

Going back more to the topic of the thread, earning $30+/hour does not automatically give one a sense of calm when they're in a negative work environment. It just doesn't. Even if you make a six figure salary, if the job sucks and management sucks, the money only slightly dampens the blow, it does not erase it.
11:58 AM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
Upstate New York
Female - 28 Years Old
I'm not sure where you got your data but my Googling showed me that the median home price in Boston in 2012 was $390,000 not $290,000 - and that will buy you a CONDO, seriously. The suburbs are less expensive but realistically I don't know many people who would think it wise to raise a family of more than 3 in a typical condo.

I'm glad that you and your family are able to live comfortably on $28k/yr. in Rochester. That is fantastic and it would be great if it were the norm for the rest of the country. Unfortunately it is not and in order to get by daily as well as save for retirement or emergencies most people are required to earn at least twice that amount. Oh and by the way, I just read in your thread that you bought your home with 100% financing. Sorry to burst your bubble but living in debt does not mean that a low salary is sufficient to get by on. It just means that there are social programs out there which help support people who don't make enough money to live without them. No harm no foul, but let's at least be honest.

Going back more to the topic of the thread, earning $30+/hour does not automatically give one a sense of calm when they're in a negative work environment. It just doesn't. Even if you make a six figure salary, if the job sucks and management sucks, the money only slightly dampens the blow, it does not erase it.

I have an FHA loan which is not 100% financing, we had to put down 12% on a 125000 house, which we were able to get half back due to sellers concession (not a program) So at the end of closing we only needed to put down 7500 which is next to nothing for a down payment. Owning a house is not living in debt either. Its an investment which is much different. We bought the house 3 yrs ago in a neighborhood where the houses go for around $230,000 - $270,000. It was a forclosure that needed minor work done. In 5-10 years when we sell this house (in a historic village part of the underground railroad) we are going to easily be able to ask $245,000. Making us around $120,000 PLUS all the money we paid into the mortgage at that point. (minus taxes intrest and PMI)

When i looked up the boston numbers i assumed a family of 6 wasnt living in boston proper, but in a surrounding suburb. Where it was median 290,000 making the possibility of living off 62,000 very doable.

either way even its a shitty job making $30/hr its better than alot of other jobs out there, i have friends with bachlors and masters working in food service because there isnt alot out there right now.
02:20 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
omnipresent
Female
I have an FHA loan which is not 100% financing, we had to put down 12% on a 125000 house, which we were able to get half back due to sellers concession (not a program) So at the end of closing we only needed to put down 7500 which is next to nothing for a down payment. Owning a house is not living in debt either. Its an investment which is much different. We bought the house 3 yrs ago in a neighborhood where the houses go for around $230,000 - $270,000. It was a forclosure that needed minor work done. In 5-10 years when we sell this house (in a historic village part of the underground railroad) we are going to easily be able to ask $245,000. Making us around $120,000 PLUS all the money we paid into the mortgage at that point. (minus taxes intrest and PMI)

When i looked up the boston numbers i assumed a family of 6 wasnt living in boston proper, but in a surrounding suburb. Where it was median 290,000 making the possibility of living off 62,000 very doable.

either way even its a shitty job making $30/hr its better than alot of other jobs out there, i have friends with bachlors and masters working in food service because there isnt alot out there right now.

It sounds like you guys got a great deal on your home and mortgage, that's awesome. It also sounds like you and your husband are pretty savvy financially to already be in such a great equity position at 26. You guys are doing better than a lot of people.

I think overall though that location plays a big part in how far your money will go. I have lived in some of the most expensive cities/states in the country (SF, LA, DC) and some of the least (TX, NC) but while the cost of living was so different, the pay for the same job wasn't that much higher in the more costly places. I know that's anecdotal evidence but I'm pretty sure I'm not that far off base, depending on the job.

You're right about being grateful for having a job that pays decently and isn't totally demeaning, even if it's shitty. I think though being grateful only gets you so far because once you hit the wall and despise your job, there's very little that can be improved by getting a raise. You definitely do tolerate more with better pay but in the end you have to wonder if it's really worth it.
02:56 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
Upstate New York
Female - 28 Years Old
It sounds like you guys got a great deal on your home and mortgage, that's awesome. It also sounds like you and your husband are pretty savvy financially to already be in such a great equity position at 26. You guys are doing better than a lot of people.

I think overall though that location plays a big part in how far your money will go. I have lived in some of the most expensive cities/states in the country (SF, LA, DC) and some of the least (TX, NC) but while the cost of living was so different, the pay for the same job wasn't that much higher in the more costly places. I know that's anecdotal evidence but I'm pretty sure I'm not that far off base, depending on the job.

You're right about being grateful for having a job that pays decently and isn't totally demeaning, even if it's shitty. I think though being grateful only gets you so far because once you hit the wall and despise your job, there's very little that can be improved by getting a raise. You definitely do tolerate more with better pay but in the end you have to wonder if it's really worth it.

yeah we really worked hard when we were "young" Got married at 18, went to college with no student loans thanks to finacial aid, I had an awesome paying job (32,000) right out of high school. My husbands odd jobs while we were in college paid the bills we needed when we had a studio apt in the shitty part of the city, 5 years of saving we were able to buy a new car in cash, and get a house in a nice neighborhood. I got pregnant at 23 and had to stop working at my Job because it was REALLY physical. We had to really learn how to stretch our money after losing all that income. BUT we found out that it isnt hard to make shit work.

I used to live in LA when i was younger, its the reason my parents went into debt. Raised by my grandparents who had 8 of their own kids plus me, got a bunmch of credit cards to make ends meet and are in CRAZY debt. We wouldnt be able to make it out there with 28K a yr. My Hubbys job offered him a position in SF (which i would LOVE) even though its more per year with the standard of living it would have been a pay cut, and im too snoody to live in oakland ahaha. So i do understand location is important.

I'm just so sick of people complaining about their finacial sitch I rant alot about it because you can really do more than you think with what you've got it just comes down to determination and drive. I have a bunch of friends who whine about their bills and they live in an apt with like 3 roomates make more than Me and my husband, parents bought their cars, they have all the latest gadgets and arent grateful for what they have.

I'm talking in circles at this point but im sure you see my points/passion
03:59 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
i've never really had a job where i had a boss. But if I were getting paid between 8-30 dollars an hour, you better believe I'm putting in minimal effort. lifes too short

Life is too short to not be a selfish prick? Good to know.
05:42 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
Life is too short to not be a selfish prick? Good to know.

Are you calling me a selfish prick, or the op's underlings? I should get clarity before I pop off
05:45 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
Are you calling me a selfish prick, or the op's underlings? I should get clarity before I pop off

Both. Lol. Although, I'm not "calling" anyone a prick so much as I am condemning the idea that you're entitled to do nothing just because you're making a low wage. You're still making a wage. Wages are for workers or, at least, they're supposed to be.
06:00 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
Both. Lol. Although, I'm not "calling" anyone a prick so much as I am condemning the idea that you're entitled to do nothing just because you're making a low wage. You're still making a wage. Wages are for workers or, at least, they're supposed to be.
Yes. Work. But I wouldn't break my back lifting boxes for a minimum wage job. Nor would I stay on my feet for a twelve hour shift for mediocre pay. But that's just me, I don't have a boss nor will I ever.
06:14 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
Ah, entitlement. Old friend.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles