Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
10:30 AM on 02/19/13
Austin Davis
god damn, this just feels right
User Info.
Ahh! I try not to listen to these clips every time they have a new release and every time I fail. They all sound so good and I'm even more excited. Loving the light banjo picking in "Runaway" and really need to hear 4-6 right now.
12:03 PM on 02/19/13
Austin Davis
User Info.
Someone really needs to tell Leighton that you don't need a tambourine or sleigh bells in every god damn song. That was the most annoying thing about Paint It Golden, and it looks like it's carrying over here.
Maybe that's just a permanent instrument they like to use. You could argue every other band doesn't need to use a guitar in every song. I don't even notice it much anymore.
10:51 AM on 02/20/13
Austin Davis
User Info.
The previews sound alright to me. Something I really felt was missing on Paint It Golden was giving the songs some room to breathe musically and it seems this release will feel about the same. I really miss the sprawling songs of This December/Illuminate. I love the aesthetic of Lydia and Leighton is an amazing vocalist, I just miss the days when songs didn't all clock in at a neat 3.5 minutes.

I would love to be completely wrong and for this record to blow me away when it drops.

I completely agree. I still love everything Lydia has released but it seems like Leighton may have gotten too comfortable writing basic song structures. The songs themselves are still really good and I like all the signature changes but I want to hear something along the lines of 'A Story for Supper' again.
11:10 AM on 02/21/13
Austin Davis
User Info.
absolutely. i was listening to this and said to my wife that "take your time" sounds like it has the potential to be one of the best songs they've written in recent memory. and it reminds me of "a story for supper"

i really want something dark again. i feel like their first two had a great mix of dark vs light, and while i enjoy select songs on albums after illuminate, i really feel like everything has been on the "way too happy" side of things, as in "i am way too happy that i wrote another song that's exactly three and a half minutes long." i don't really follow a ton of the drama with bands anymore but i remember reading that one of their guitarists who was responsible for the more complex stuff left, but if true it's sad that that almost all complexity left with him. that said i do still enjoy their music, and hope that someday they can scale the mountain of potential that they entered with.

I wouldn't say he was responsible for the complex parts of their music, some of the music is still pretty complex, but he did write most of the minor-sounding material. Then again, This December was written during really dark times with drug abuse, etc. which is what almost all of the lyrics are about. Then before Illuminate was written was when certain members went to rehab, so most of Illuminate is along the same lines and about trying to get better. And personally, I think the song "Hailey" is a closure of sorts from all of that and moving on. So that could be another reason the newer stuff doesn't sound as dark. That and I'm sure they don't want to release the same album twice.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos