Username
Password

02:55 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
it's brutal out there man. It would prolly help you to figure out what your goals are: Are you trying to play shows or are you trying to just make an album and put it online? Both? It's usually easier to find people if you've got a specifc plan layed out.

I have the same problem here in DC, which is kinda a music scene wasteland to begin with (for a number of reasons), but I'm sure it's just as hard anywhere else. Stay away from CL dude, it's pointless 99% of the time. Try hanging out at a local music shop (i think someone already suggested it), or venues that you know have bands that are in your style. Or just make friends with some of the existing local groups; it's much more likely you'll get a spot if you already know the band members and they know you're already on board. It also doesn't hurt to have a youtube page or bandmix account where you can host videos of yourself, always a good idea to have some samples out there. But make sure your videos are good, and I mean "blow your mind" good. If the listener isn't engaged with 10 seconds, you're done.

Just keep at it, you'll find someone eventually. It took me over a year to find three other dudes out here that want to play on a regular basis. That's a big thing, you gotta have people willing to make the time for the band. A lot of guys just want to jam every once in a while and that's fun but pointless if your goal is to play out and get exposure. Best of luck.

Nice, I actually met a really cool dude from DC awhile back who was a multi-intrumentalist from craigslist and he was going to move down here but we lost touch at some point which happens a lot
05:33 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
xCoconutheadx
Perfectly Imperfect
United States
Female - 20 Years Old
Learn more instruments. Put your stuff on the internet.

or finish college move get a job and then form a band.
05:36 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
MPLS/LA
Male - 25 Years Old
You're in Brooklyn. Bands are a dime a dozen there. I can't imagine it being that difficult. Craigslist probably isn't the way to go. Go to lots of shows, meet people at those shows.
07:15 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
New York
Male
A hawt chick vocalist. Get one.

/thread
07:17 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
xCoconutheadx
Perfectly Imperfect
United States
Female - 20 Years Old
listen to the advise
05:28 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Learn more instruments. Put your stuff on the internet.

or finish college move get a job and then form a band.

If I finish college and get a job I don't think I'd want to form a band lol I would have no time to do it or the attention it deserves to be put into it
05:29 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
You're in Brooklyn. Bands are a dime a dozen there. I can't imagine it being that difficult. Craigslist probably isn't the way to go. Go to lots of shows, meet people at those shows.

I do... maybe I go to the wrong shows? Idk but all I meet are tools who probably think all time low has sick lead guitarists lmfao not that I go to ATL shows or anything like that, just an analogy haha
10:16 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
mc123
InvisibleLines
No Avatar Selected
Male - 26 Years Old
what part of brooklyn? also, any links to your recordings?
12:15 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
Bismarck, North...
Male - 30 Years Old
Go to open mic shows, man. People are trying to network, hustle, and find musicians at those things all the time.

Worst case scenario, it puts you in touch with some people who are doing it already and maybe they'll know some people.
01:57 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
xCoconutheadx
Perfectly Imperfect
United States
Female - 20 Years Old
You got me there. Youre a smart guy youll figure it out.
06:28 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
benlong
When are you coming home?
No Avatar Selected
Kindersley, SK
Male - 29 Years Old
Every time I've been to music stores like that I've seen some god awful adds like "influences similar to KISS, Dimmu Borgir, Stone Sour, and Guns N' Roses" lolol or something similar of that sort. My college doesn't have bulletin boards or anything like that, to be fair my college is pretty diverse but the ghetto of it outweighs that part haha

If you put up an add for stuff you'd like then they'd have ads for stuff you'd like too...who knows maybe someone like you has been thinking of doing the same thing just hasn't, or checks and never finds what they like
06:37 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
what part of brooklyn? also, any links to your recordings?

South Brooklyn and I only have things I can send directly, sorry
08:20 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
The World of Dreams
Male - 22 Years Old
Interesting, I know the FL area had a lot of good bands at one time for awhile. My ex moved there and she told me all about the venue issue although she went out with a bunch of band kids who all played the same boring br00tal type stuff lol I know when I was in FL for awhile I messaged Tides of Man because I knew they were looking for a vocalist just to see if it was even possible but they never replied to me so I just figured they found one.
Last I heard [on their Facebook] is that they're releasing a instrumental record
08:25 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Last I heard [on their Facebook] is that they're releasing a instrumental record

me too, nothings been released since then.
09:40 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
The World of Dreams
Male - 22 Years Old
me too, nothings been released since then.
it's the Saosin syndrome

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version