Password

Album Review

Grand Central - 01 Album Cover

Grand Central - 01

Reviewed by
Grand Central - 01
Record Label: Hellvice I Vicious Records
Release date: 09/12/2011

While living in France I had the “pleasure” to see Madame de Montespan play live on several occasions.

Their generic Screamo sound was nothing much in terms of innovation, but could’ve been enjoyed easily enjoyed by fans if not for the atrocious vocals.
So I wasn’t too stoked to hear that former members of the band had started a new band with former members of French Punk’n’Roll band SMSCREW. Going in with low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised by 01.

Opener "Pacific" is a brutal and driving mix of Punk, Rock with a whole lot of Sludge thrown into the mix. While not very original, both lyrically and sound-wise, sounding a lot like Every Time I Die in places, the drive and joy the members display while playing will instantly grab the listener by the balls.

Second track, "You Fuck, We Don’t", hits in the same vain as vocalist Clément screams his lungs out, trying his best to make a mark, but sounding a lot like Keith Buckley at times. The guitars soaring, the drums driving the song forward and once again Everytime I Die appear before the listener’s inner eye as Clément and gang belt out You Fuck/ We don’t in the chorus.

Unfortunately the band isn’t capable to keep up with the great opener, as the other two songs on the roughly 10 minute long 4 track EP are bland, cardboard copies of everything we’ve seen in this genre over the past decade or so. They aren’t utterly forgettable, but it will surely take more than one listen for them to click, and even then they are barely memorable.

Sounding like Every Time I Die, The Dillinger Escape Plan or Gallows is per se not a bad thing, both bands being brilliant at what they do, but Grand Central lacks something. That little something that sets them apart from the rest. Vocals, riffs, melodies and song structures, everything on this record will be a “Déjà vu all over again” experience for anyone familiar with the aforementioned bands.

While not a bad record at all, 01 lacks severely in the originality department. The band however shows a lot of potential, and being of obvious talent there is hope that future records will feature less Every Time I Die and more Grand Central.

Worth mentioning is also the production of the record: Benjamin Feuillade, Valentin Payen and Alan Douches have done an outstanding job, giving the record a raw, loud yet still professional sound that compares well with bigger budget records.

Fans of Every Time I Die, The Dillinger Escape Plan or Gallows should have a look, as they will more than likely enjoy this release.

Recommended If You LikePunk'n'Roll; Every Time I Die; The Dillinger Escape Plan; Gallows
This review is a user submitted review from German Markus. You can see all of German Markus's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version