Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
10:14 AM on 02/21/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
I don't like this. Youtube videos, especially those for huge artists, are known to be hugely inflated because of bots and hacks to make it seem like they're bigger singles than they are. Plus, there's no effort being made in terms of actually using money to buy the track. There's no real benefit to it.
11:39 AM on 02/21/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Worth noting: There are now three components that make up the Hot 100 now. YouTube will be the lowest-weighted component, behind sales (#1) and radio play (#2)

Interesting.

yet big machine thinks it's a brilliant idea not including it on streaming services. sucks for them.

It really worked for them when the album came out. It makes no sense now.

Final Edit: After looking at the whole Hot 100, this youtube thing screws with the format way too much. Songs jumping by 50-60 places week by week, and songs that don't have quite the same video views dropping 20 to 30 places week by week. After viewing this entire week's chart as a whole, I must say I'm not a fan of this change. I mean if the youtube chart has slightly less weight it would be good.

Yeaaa. Well The Harlem Shake has a lot to do with this, as Billboard, says:

"Billboard is now incorporating all official videos on YouTube captured by Nielsenís streaming measurement, including Vevo on YouTube, and user-generated clips that utilize authorized audio into the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 formula-based genre chart."

Meaning if I use a Mumford and Sons song audio clip in a video I do and it's authorized by the label, then it counts as a hit for Mumford and Sons, even if it's like 20 seconds. So "The Harlem Shake" is #1: A) Because it actually did sell after last week. B) Because it was averaging about 4,000 videos a day using that 30 second clip. It makes sense, but I still don't like it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests